Intel NUC vs Shuttle xh61v based htpc
Dear all,

I'm contemplating on how to choose the right hardware. Cost wise its not going to make a big difference, but customization wise: yes.
My primary target is to play 1080p *flawlessly*, with audio bitstreaming etc and make it a bit future proof (by throwing in enough hardware) so that I don't have to have to buy another box next year again. Form factor is important for me, and of course low noise.

Inputs are highly appreciated.

Greetings,
kbhattac.
For sure, Shuttle xh61v will be more powerful and more options the NUC. This combination "Shuttle xh61v and Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz" should serves you very well into the future....

Even though the NUC is equips with less options, it should be able to playback blu-ray 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio very well.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hmm, I´m also considering these hardware-combinations. But are the "options" you have using the Shuttle xh61v really worth it ? I don´t think you can add separate GPU, a later addition of a bigger CPU might bring the cooler to it´s limits etc.. So I´m not sure if these "options" you have using a shuttle are really an advantage that should be configured ?!?! But maybe I miss something ?
Discrete GPU is no option either way. The xh61v based build gives you a choice of CPU (e.g. an i3 3225 is better than the i3 3217 soldered in to the NUC), and offers USB 3.0 ports. But both provide the Sata 2 bus, so all SSD Sata 3 (6 gbps) cards would not perform to their fullest extent.
Access times for the SSD's would be almost identical anyway and that's far more important for a HTPC than any transfer speed difference.
(2012-12-20, 11:30)d0dger Wrote: But are the "options" you have using the Shuttle xh61v really worth it ? I don´t think you can add separate GPU, a later addition of a bigger CPU might bring the cooler to it´s limits etc..
It does have some advantages. If you really want to add a GPU, you can with this- mPCIe slot....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC vs Shuttle xh61v based htpc0