Yet another Logitech Harmony question
Actually I'm starting at square 1 - trying to get a Logitech universal remote working the first time. I've found lots of info on xbmc forums and elsewhere, usually contradictory and not matching what I see in my system and xbmc.

I'm currently trying to get it going with a MacBook Pro, but will be switching to a Mac Mini. Both do have IR receivers. In OSX settings, there is no paired remote.

I followed advice in this old thread to use the Logitech Plex Player profile for the remote. That's done. I did not do all the button mapping because as much as I can understand the thread, it seems all that should be handled by XBMC now. But it doesn't work. Only when I switch 'activities' on the remote does XBMC switch to some random screen or setting. Otherwise no buttons do anything.

So in XBMC, System > Settings > System > Input devices, there is a setting for Apple Remote - Standard or Disabled. In that thread it says that should be set to "Multi-Remote - no such choice. Then there is "Remote Control Sends Keyboard Presses" - yes or no. Again I just don't know what to put there.

Thanks for any advice.

XBMC Eden 11.0
OSX 10.8.2
Logitech Harmony 880
Well, delving into the customizing of buttons in the Logitech software, I found that the "Plex Player" device does have some preexisting keymapping specified. But when you make an Activity using that Device, the Activity doesn't have any keymapping, and it doesn't do anything. So I mapped the buttons for the Activity as specified in that old thread. Then some buttons worked and others did unexpected things.

I don't know whether the button mapping in the Device or Activity is supposed to control the thing, and why there would be two different sets of mappings like that. Nor do I know what the Plex Player commands are supposed to do in XBMC (sometimes it is obvious, often not). To make it more complicated you can make a keyboard.xml file if you want to get into infrared OBC codes, but that is what the Harmony is supposed to take care of.

I'd really appreciate help from anyone who has figured this out! Thanks.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Tongue 
OK, problem solved more or less. Maybe there was a glitch in XBMC fixed by restarting, or maybe the problem was between the keyboard and the chair Tongue Anyway, I found that in XBMC 'System > Settings > System Input devices', you have to set 'Remote control sends keyboard presses' ON (switch lit up), and the other important setting 'Apple Remote', works a little funny. I was only getting Standard or Disabled before, and you have to say yes to the warning screen that comes up each time you change it. Now I'm getting the "Multi Remote (Harmony)" option, which is what it takes.

So most buttons are doing something rational now, and perhaps I can fix the rest by recustomizing buttons in the Logitech software.
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Is this with the Plex - Plex Player you got it to work?
Regardless there should be an option for multi harmony remote.
(2013-02-15, 08:32)Brasmuss Wrote: Is this with the Plex - Plex Player you got it to work?
Yes.

In Logitech:
  1. Set up a Device (I called it Plex) as Computer > Media Center PC > Plex > Plex Player.
  2. Set up Activity (I called it XBMC) with that Device, your TV and Receiver if you have one.
  3. I'm not sure it is necessary, but I also manually duplicated all the button settings from the device into the Activity (except directed the volume settings to the receiver).
In XBMC: "System > Settings > System > Input devices"
  1. Set "Apple Remote" to "Multi Remote (Harmony)" It seems to me a bit goofy because you have to say yes to a warning that I don't understand each time you change this setting. Since there are a number of choices, you may have to do this several times to get to the "Multi Remote (Harmony)" setting.
  2. Set "Remote control sends keyboard presses" to ON
  3. Also set "Allow start of XBMC using the remote" to ON, and I found I could start it with the MENU button, after the XBMC activity is started in the remote.
I can also tell you how to customize the buttons once you get that far.
(2013-02-15, 14:42)Glorious1 Wrote:
(2013-02-15, 08:32)Brasmuss Wrote: Is this with the Plex - Plex Player you got it to work?
Yes.

In Logitech:
  1. Set up a Device (I called it Plex) as Computer > Media Center PC > Plex > Plex Player.
  2. Set up Activity (I called it XBMC) with that Device, your TV and Receiver if you have one.
  3. I'm not sure it is necessary, but I also manually duplicated all the button settings from the device into the Activity (except directed the volume settings to the receiver).
In XBMC: "System > Settings > System > Input devices"
  1. Set "Apple Remote" to "Multi Remote (Harmony)" It seems to me a bit goofy because you have to say yes to a warning that I don't understand each time you change this setting. Since there are a number of choices, you may have to do this several times to get to the "Multi Remote (Harmony)" setting.
  2. Set "Remote control sends keyboard presses" to ON
  3. Also set "Allow start of XBMC using the remote" to ON, and I found I could start it with the MENU button, after the XBMC activity is started in the remote.
I can also tell you how to customize the buttons once you get that far.

Thanks for the Info. I was looking for some info about this.
+1 +1
+1million for Glorious1. I know he/she's probably not the first to work out how to get these remotes working with XBMC on Mac but it's taken me FOREVER to get any more than the nav arrows and select button to work. And now with this 'Plex' device everything works!!!! Thanks!!!!! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yet another Logitech Harmony question0