BluRay MKVs Stuttering
I am experiencing stuttering on several MKV files made from BluRay disks. No issue with audio. Note that VLC plays these without stuttering.

My config:
- Mac Mini 3,1, 4Gb Ram, Nvidia 9400m
- Mountain Lion 10.8.2
- XBMC 12RC1
- connected to Panasonic plasma via display port/dvi to hdmi
no other non-system applications running except iTunes

MKV files shared to Mac Mini from remote Mac Pro wirelessly

Here is the latest debug log file from a Chris Botti Live MKV/BluRay

http://pastebin.com/X1qcSycN
I have solved the problem. Its the audio track. This video contains an LPCM 96k/24 bit audio track that apparently was causing the stuttering. I ran the MKV file back through MakeMKV using the FLAC profile which converted the 96/24 track into FLAC lossless. Now video is perfectly smooth and I have my 96/24 lossless audio. Beautiful! Now, on to organizing the artwork.
You might try ViMediaManager for organizing the artwork. It is still in alpha, but quickly becoming an awesome media manager.
Latest nightly builds: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2s3f8uhh8jh1l0q/0seaBWnMqs
Forum thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109976
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Thanks for the organizing tip - it appears to be a major effort to organize media in XBMC.

It looks like I was premature about solving the stuttering issue with the Chris Botti video. Since converting the audio to FLAC it stutters less but still stutters enough to notice. Same thing with the HDScape (fireplace, hawaii, etc) BluRays. No problems with any movies yet.
I had the same problem on my blu-ray rip of Akira which uses a TrueHD 5.1 audio output. Plays perfectly fine with VLC with full audio output directly to my receiver.

I did the same thing as mstan did here and output the audio as FLAC. On Eden the video plays perfectly fine, but I get no audio. On Frodo the video still stutters, and I get no audio.

I'm using a brand new Late 2012 iMac 27" which has audio output using optical to a receiver.
Aside from the playback problems on Frodo I found out what the problem is... XBMC doesn't seem to support 32-bit 192khz audio. Tried a few sample files online and it sends the same decoding errors to the log. Bummer.
I don't know whether XBMC supports 32/192 but I don't believe the optical interface on the Mac hardware supports it. The optical interface only supports a max of 24 bit/96 k. If you want more you will have to use an external USB/Firewire/PCI interface.
OS X doesn't need to support anything if set to pass the audio through to the receiver as it's not processing any of the audio; the receiver is. VLC can pass audio to the receiver, so the front of my receiver lights up with TrueHD 32/192 when playing the file. XBMC craps out.

My workaround for these discs is to also rip the regular 5.1 track as well then use that for playback in XBMC. So, with that workaround done I have to figure out why some of the videos show artifacts when starting playing... Haha.
What audio source material are you referring to that is 32-bit because I am not aware of any? The highest resolution PCM audio that I know of is 24 bit/192 Kz. I think even the Dolby True HD spec. is limited to 24 bit. Professional DAWs internally process audio files using 32 bit floating point math but generally do not output a 32 bit audio file. Perhaps your receiver is indicating what is does internally with the file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BluRay MKVs Stuttering 0