Cannot get AC3 to work to save my life
I have tried every trick that I've read about online including changing the audio output to 16bits in atv settings, turning off thumbnails in xbmc, you name it. I've tried many nightlies and now I'm back to Eden official.

I have a digital optical cable running from the back of the ATV into a blue ray surround sound receiver. I know that all the speakers work because I can get 5.1 audio out of blu ray discs.

Can anyone tell me how to get XBMC running on ATV to send 5.1 digital out AC3 to my reciever?
Yes.

1. Set the speaker config in xbmc to 5.1.
2. Set output to either HDMI or optical/coax (both should work - just play with that)
3. Enable AC3 capable Receiver
4. Play something with AC3

If this doesn't work come back with some better error description (not "its not working" but "how does it behave") and an debug log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I've done all those steps already. Thanks for the reply though. When I go to play a movie with AC3 I get a loud crack at the start and then just silence. I can change the setting to analog and it will work but its just stereo surround not 5.1
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Debug_logs Would help to show the settings configuration
You might be suffering from the same problem as me. Can you try your same scenario with a different receiver/amp?

I have an old Sony receiver and I believe there is a certain incompatibility with the way XBMC works with AC3 passthrough on Toslink connections in ATV2 (but also ATV1/OSX) and my specific receiver. This is my experience:

1. XBMC on ATV2. DTS passthrough works. AC3 passthrough does not work (silent)
  2. XBMC on ATV1 (OSX application). Same as above.
  3. XBMC on ATV1 (Linux application). Both AC3 and DTS passthrough work.
  4. XBMC on PC (Linux and Windows). Both AC3 and DTS passthrough work

Again, I have not tried, but I am sure that if I change to another receiver everything would work fine. There are older threads where users with the same problem used a toslink-coaxial converter with the same amp to make AC3 passthrough work correctly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot get AC3 to work to save my life0