XBMC on Qnap
Hi All,

Has anyone seen this its only available on the x69 models of the Qnap, but you can run XBMC / Catchup TV etc on your Qnap.

the x69 models comes with an HDMI connection.

not sure if it will be powerful enough or about GPU?

http://www.qnapstore.com/?page_id=1113

any feedback or experience would be appreciated.

I'm looking to upgrade my model to a x69 series.

Thanks
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
The QNAP forum for it is over here. Don't have an x86 model unfortunately, those cost a pretty penny.

I believe the TS-x69L, TS-269 & TS-469 Pro series are Intel Atom D2700 based and run at varying clock speeds with HD video hardware decoding, the GPU is a PowerVR SGX 545.

They've also done their own version of TVheadend it seems the TV Station software is based off it. TVheadend is already available as an app for QNAP NAS.

Seems like QNAP users are having artifacting problems - QNAP says it is an Intel issue and they are waiting for Intel to fix it.

Seems to me that using a low-powered NAS would be find if that is all you did with it... otherwise, it would be too slow when doing anything else at the same time. Then, for the high cost of the NAS you might as well just spend $50 on a RaspberryPI or a $100 on a Nettop/Laptop/PC -- and keep the NAS for what it does best.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Thinking out loud...

Would this not make a great centralised xbmc server?

Instead of going down the mysql route, you could run essentially a dummy version of xbmc on the qnap and share the master library with upnp to other machines.

Just a case of working out a way of using a remote desktop or similar to setup the master... Any thoughts?
Should work
I too have a low-powered (ARM) QNAP NAS which, logically, would make an excellent XBMC (library-only, no playback) server. So I second the requests/suggestions in this post, with the following reservation: Forget the UPnP server. As the protocol is currently implemented, you cannot be 100%-ly sure it shall support each and every file format you may throw at it. You do not want to invite your friends to a media party only to find out that a flac or webm file does not stream. My suggestion is to use SMB or NFS depending on your infrastructure. Sadly, UPnP is a good idea killed in the process of flawed implementation.
(2012-12-27, 12:39)DiMag Wrote: I too have a low-powered (ARM) QNAP NAS which, logically, would make an excellent XBMC (library-only, no playback) server. So I second the requests/suggestions in this post, with the following reservation: Forget the UPnP server. As the protocol is currently implemented, you cannot be 100%-ly sure it shall support each and every file format you may throw at it. You do not want to invite your friends to a media party only to find out that a flac or webm file does not stream. My suggestion is to use SMB or NFS depending on your infrastructure. Sadly, UPnP is a good idea killed in the process of flawed implementation.

From what I understand, UPnP A/V is format agnostic and very flexible. DLNA, however, is a horribly butchered version of UPnP A/V that is extremely format limited.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Qnap0