Linux Mythtv remote connection
I have my setup of mythtv (0.26) on a xbmcbuntu machine with xbmc (unstable nightly builds)
configured to work locally and that too successfully on it with the following -
Backend hostname - 127.0.0.1
Port-6543
username - mythtv
password - ********
databasename - mythconverg

mythbackend has the hostname as 192.168.2.*** (home network IP address) with port 6543.
This works in spite of the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt ( in 0.26 this is the configure.xml) info being 3306 for the port (IP is the 127.0.0.1).

However if I configure the xbmc's mythtv PVR to that of a remote server for other PCs (Win 7 remote PC) to connect to it on the home network I get connection issues.
This being changing the xbmc's PVR hostname to 192.168.2.*** with either the port being 6543 or 3306.
Also I can't even connect locally from XBMC with the IP address being changed to that as above 192.168.2.***!!!

Is this an issue with xbmc not figuring out the how to connect to a remote mythtv server or an IP address other than localhost or what?
Any ideas?
OZooHA
i ran into similar problems when i first installed mythtv needing me to redo things i got wrong.

you need to setup static ip or dhcp reservation on the router for you backend server without it the ip address can change.

When you installed mythtv-backend did you choose "Yes" when it asked "Will other computers run MythTV?" this is needed to allow other machines to act as a frontend.

when putting in ip address of the backend server you need to use it's real address 192.168.2.*** not the 127.0.0.1 or localhost even on the backend server.

/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt should reflect that
Code:
DBHostName=192.168.0.100 <- ip address of my server
DBUserName=mythtv
DBName=mythconverg
DBPassword=********

if you originally setup the backend up by using localhost your local ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file may have the wrong ip address too
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
deadite66 thanks for the response.
I did choose the correct ip address from the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and ensured a static IP address for the mythbackend server.
I tried it 2 different ways:
CASE 1:
in the first case set it to 127.0.0.1 and connected it from xbmc sucessfully from the local machine.
I said "no" to the mythtv-backend query for "Will other computers run MythTV?"
the port was 6543 inspite of it being 3306 in the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and still it connected (weird isn't it)
CASE 2:
in the second case set it to 192.168.2.*** with "yes" as my answer to mythtv-backend query for "Will other computers run MythTV?"
I tired connecting from the local machine with 192.168.2.*** but without success. Tinkered with the ports as well i.e. set to 6543 and later to 3306 as per the
/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and still no joy.
The logic in the second case for trying to connect to the local PC is that if I can't connect locally then how can I connect remotely to same mythtvbackend server.
I am stumped for now.
Any suggestions from you or anyone is always welcomed.
OZooHA
In order for myth clients to access the backend, set the ip address as 192.168.x.x instead of 127.0.0.1 when you configure the backend. The port # 6543 is correct for the backend. The port # 3306 is for mysql database access. Then on the myth client side, set the correct ip address of your backend.

If you installed mythtv package on same xbmc machine, mysql server also gets installed on the same xbmc machine. mythtv needs access to mysql database, either on the same machine or on a different machine.

Another quirk I ran into is that mythtv client from xbmc is an older version, it expects mysql database on the same machine. Thus, failing to connect to the mysql datase and the client does not run. If you want different xbmc/myth client to access the backend, you need to compile/build newer version of the client for xbmc and set the correct ip address for the mysql database.
psxstudio you are the man!!!! You cleared all my confusion and now I have LIVE TV working both on a remote (OS-Win 7) and local xbmc (OS-xbmcbuntu) where the latter hosts the mythbackend and the mysql.
Here is what I did on the xbmc on my:
:xbmcbuntu
- "sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database" with yes to "Will other computers run MythTV?"
- "sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common" with
>ip -127.0.0.1
>databasename - mythconverg
>username - mythtv
>password - ****

:Win 7
-enabled live tv and for the cmyth PVR addon with
>remote mythtv backend - 192.162.2.*** (IP address of xbmcbuntu)
>databasename - mythconverg
>username - mythtv
>password - ****

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mythtv remote connection0