6 Channel AAC->AC3 via SPDIF - no rear speaker sound
Hi,

I'm having a problem with files that have 5.1 AAC audio.

My PC is connected to the A/V-Receiver via SPDIF, so XBMC transcodes the audio stream to AC3 before it sends it to the a/v-receiver. However, the rear left and rear right speakers are mapped to the front left and front right speakers (I don't have a center or a sub connected to the receiver, so I assume that they wouldn't work either, but I don't know for sure).

The receiver displays "DOLBY" though, so XBMC correctly transcodes the signal, but somehow only a stereo mix. If I play a file that has AC3 5.1, the rear speakers work fine, so the problem is not with the receiver.

My audio output settings:

Audio Output = "OPTICAL/COAX"
Speaker configuration = "5.1"
Dolby capable receiver = "YES"
DTS capable receiver = "YES"
AAC capable receiver = "NO" (tried yes, didn't make a difference)
Audio device = "WASAPI: SPDIF"
Passthrough Audio device = "WASAPI: SPDIF"

I am running Frodo RC2 on Windows 7. Any ideas?
Hi - can you post a Debug Log pls?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=23968

Here is the debug log. This is just starting xbmc, playing a test file and then quitting xbmc.

Edit: Additional info, I'm using an Asus P8P67 motherboard with onboard sound (Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC) connected to a Denon AVR-1610.

Edit: changed link to log
Thx KatjaS, but the log gets cut off by pastebin before the test file plays - perhaps try http://xbmclogs.com/ - it has less of a size restriction.

One other thing - the log does show your speaker settings as 2.0 - can you try with 5.1?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
It's set to 5.1, at least that's what it shows in Settings - System - Audio Output - Speaker Configuration. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/KOo1y

Here is the new log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=23968

Edit: added screenshot of settings
Ah yes, the 2.0 is forced internally as that's how AC3 is transmitted. I see two potential causes from that log - will give it some thought and try come up with a solution.
OK, thank you.
bump?
KatjaS - it's a programming solution requiring a fix - not one I can drop everything for on Christmas day Tongue
Ohh, ok, I misunderstood you. I assumed it would be some sort of incorrect setting in a xml on my system. Smile
Any progress on this?

For the record, I just reencoded the audio on all AAC 5.1 movies using a script from
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62652
Worked really well.

Loads of crashes when changing from 5.1 to 2.0 streams within a film (12.0 from git)
Yes - will be fixed after Frodo release. Without a log its hard to say what your issue may be with track changes though.

Welcome to the forums btw.
Is this why I am not getting rear sound on some of my 5.1 movies?
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
(2013-01-19, 16:15)Death-Axe Wrote: Is this why I am not getting rear sound on some of my 5.1 movies?

If you are transcoding to AC3, then yes.

Will it be fixed before final?
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
6 Channel AAC->AC3 via SPDIF - no rear speaker sound0