WIP [Work Around]Issues with VC1 streams
I'm having issues with VC1 streams.

Asus MB
Phenom II X4
MSI GT 640

Sync Display

OpenElec 3 Beta 6 (2.95.6 based on RC2)

Samples:

This plays properly on Eden and MPC-HC, but not on my RC2. It has no sound and plays very slow.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/630874/Unforgiven_sample.mkv

This plays properly on MPC-HC but not Eden or RC2: It has sound but very pixelated video,
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/630874/NIN_Beside_sample.mkv

Debug:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/630874/24Dec2012xbmc.log

Thoughts?

Happy to test further. Please let me know if additional info is needed.
Code:
21:57:53 T:3016353536  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: smb://TOWER/media/Misc/Duell der Magier (1)-004.mkv

Can you please test two things:

a) Copy a bit of this stream to your local harddisk and retry with what you have.
b) Make a test installation with OpenELEC Generic Image. Also enable VDPAU and reinstall.

We currently have some problems with the "specific" OpenELEC builds (Fusion, ION), we first thought it is a network driver issue and dropped r8168, but we are still searching. So if you find time, please try with the Generic Image (not the OSS one), whipe all your config files and retry.

Thx for your help
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@ixnu:
Sorry, I relooked at the files.

Those are both VC-1 interlaced. There is work in progress but currently not done, yet. See for example this Pull Request here: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/pull/96

I really wonder, why it looks "so good" at all :-)

So, nothing that can be done currently.

Code:
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VC-1
Format profile                           : Advanced@L3
Codec ID                                 : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1
Codec ID/Hint                            : Microsoft
Duration                                 : 20s 20ms
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

The second one makes me wonder a bit, as it says TOP_FIELD_FIRST, but tells it is progressive. I think it is somewhat wrongly coded. But i have seen something about complete surfaces, that need to be deinterlaced, so this could be such a case.
Code:
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VC-1
Format profile                           : Advanced@L3
Codec ID                                 : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1
Codec ID/Hint                            : Microsoft
Bit rate                                 : 15.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Original frame rate                      : 29.970 fps
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Thank you for the nice testfiles :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Is this for openelec only? Cause i got vc1 problems too on windows....
Isnt this fixed automatically when updating ffmpeg to version1.0?
Skank:
No, sadly not. As the current architecture within xbmc has to be changed quite a bit. This is currently coded to get "normal" interlacing working, as they are in H264 interlaced material. But there are VC-1 formats out there, that need something special, as it is not coded in half images.

@FernetMenta is working on it - but currently frodo is in focus.

With new ffmpeg getting merged after frodo, there is a basis, as ffmpeg will handle those - but the callback infrastructure has to be revisited.
Thanks for taking a look! I was pulling my hair out thinking it was my set up.
(2012-12-24, 10:13)fritsch Wrote: The second one makes me wonder a bit, as it says TOP_FIELD_FIRST, but tells it is progressive. I think it is somewhat wrongly coded. But i have seen something about complete surfaces, that need to be deinterlaced, so this could be such a case.
[code]
Video
ID : 1
Format : VC-1
Format profile : Advanced@L3
Codec ID : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1

Thank you for the nice testfiles :-)

I have this BluRay and the "NIN_Beside_sample" is a MKVmerge (most recent version) portion from the raw stream M2TS file. In the event that MKVMerge introduced coding errors, I'm happy to make a sample of the straight M2TS file if you are interested.
(2012-12-24, 10:03)fritsch Wrote:
Code:
21:57:53 T:3016353536  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: smb://TOWER/media/Misc/Duell der Magier (1)-004.mkv

Can you please test two things:

a) Copy a bit of this stream to your local harddisk and retry with what you have.

You can disregard this re VC1, this was a file that I was testing for HD Audio. Some of my HD Audio files will not play correctly.

Sorry for the confusion.
So they are palnning a new release with latest ffmpeg? Which should fix the problems? I hope so
Will this new ffmpeg be integrated in kind of patch form or planned for xbmc 13?
(2012-12-24, 17:06)Skank Wrote: So they are palnning a new release with latest ffmpeg? Which should fix the problems? I hope so
Will this new ffmpeg be integrated in kind of patch form or planned for xbmc 13?

Not sure if you are talking about fixing the HD Audio issues or VC1 - ffmpeg update seems to be for the VC1 issues.

Sorry, thought you were the Windows user that was from my HD Audio thread.
Yes i am
If anyone else has this issue, I used newest Ripbot264 (with CQ=16) to convert the video stream to x264 and then remuxed the TrueHD stream. I can't tell the difference on a blind A/B test with the BD playing in the PS3 and XBMC playing the x264/remux.

Thankfully, this is the only interlaced VC-1 HD that I have in my library.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Work Around]Issues with VC1 streams0