Frame drops with hardware decoding enabled
With recent nightly builds (64-bit MacOS X on 10.8.2 on a 2011 Mac mini i5 + Intel HD 3000) I am getting very frequent frame drops with hardware decoding enabled. As soon as I disable hardware decoding, it's smooth with zero frame drops.

It started happening right after the bug causing the green lines on the bottom and the right-hand side of the screen was fixed. So around Dec 18 I think it was. Not sure if it's related to that fix or not though.

Interestingly, if I bring up the OSD, it plays smoothly while it's on-screen. Does it disable hardware decoding with the overlay on-screen maybe?

Log with hardware decoding enabled

Log with hardware decoding disabled
No one else is seeing this?
Still happening with Dec 31 build Sad
Can you make a bug report on Trac for this using what you described first post? Just make a new debug log using the latest nightly build.
Same here too. Moved from Eden to Frodo over the holiday and started watching a movie last night. Turning Hardware decoding off causes playback to be fine.

Glad it wasn't just me!
Will file a bug report tomorrow night after the in-laws leave.
Ticket 13907 opened for this issue.
hint, when creating a bug report with xbmc.log, start playing and do nothing for 10-15 mins, so we can see what might be going on. If you bounce into play, then bounce out in less than a 10-15 mins, we can't see squat Smile
(2013-01-05, 20:49)davilla Wrote: hint, when creating a bug report with xbmc.log, start playing and do nothing for 10-15 mins, so we can see what might be going on. If you bounce into play, then bounce out in less than a 10-15 mins, we can't see squat Smile

Oh, sorry, I ran it long enough to clearly see the problem on-screen (50 or so dropped frames). It's dropping very, very frequently.

I will re-run it though. Do you also want me to produce another log without hardware acceleration?
Attached a log spanning 30 mins of playback.
Not sure why the dropped frames aren't reported in the log, but the codec info overlay ('o' key) does show them.
Are the dropped frames obvious while watching, or is it just the count that increases?

Edit: On my optical link, a 1080p using passthrough DTS on my optical link, no drops. However, switched to a 720p file that uses WMAHD, I see the drop count on the overlay, but nothing was visibly dropped/skipped.
It's very obvious.
Hmm, setting the Render method to Software solves the issue (leaving VDADecoder enabled). Well, mostly anyway. There are a couple of frame drops here and there, but not the once/second I got when it was set to Auto Detect.

Both of the shader methods cause the issue when used in conjunction with hardware acceleration. Either disabling HW acceleration *or* setting the render method to software solves the problem (mostly).

The only way I get no frame drops at all is by setting the render method to Software and disabling hardware acceleration. This obviously gets the CPU going though.
I was just wondering, whether this was "fixed"... ? I started using Frodo RC3 yesterday (MacMini 2012, i5 base-model, ML 10.8.2) and must say, playback seems quite buggy to me... dropped frames (at least I think thats what it is) and actually a slow down after 1h and 24 minutes (restarting the movie (with return where left off) the movie solved this)...

I also must say, it seems as if Frodo would starts up slower (I use an SSD so its not really sloooower but just.. you know... maybe a split second ;-) ) than Eden...

No debug log just yet, as I am at work (obviously not working ;-) ) and just wanted to see whether I am the only one with this problem / perception...

cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frame drops with hardware decoding enabled0