Linux How to install MythTV backend on xbmcbuntu
Hi folks. I am very new to Linux and am really struggling on how to get the backend of MythTV onto my xbmcbuntu system (God knows why Linux can't have installers like Windows or Mac!).

I have tried going to https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications...ol-centre/ and clicking on the link to install the control centre but that just comes up with a new blank page. I have also tried the Synaptic Package Manager but there is no listing for MythTV.

I know I should be able to enter a command for apt-get but don't know that that is either.

Find it all very confusing and have no idea what to try next. I have tried following the guides but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for your help in advance. Please excuse the lack of Linux knowledge....
Hey mate I'm currently trying to setup mythtv on xbmcbuntu and here is what I have done to get where I am up to

Open up console/ssh in and type
sudo apt-get install mythtv

Follow the prompts to setup the MySQL db and acl rules

Log out of xbmc (power button down the left hand side )
Click orb>system tools mythtv backend settings
And customise to suit ure location hardware etc

This is where I got stuck. My tv tuner is a Sony playtv after recommendations from other forums however it seems its not fully recognised for some reason. I think I'm close to figuring it out as I believe it's just a case of missing firmware/drivers but if anyone has any tips let me know (Il create my own thread soon)

Enough thread high jacking! Good luck!
Actually you are probably better to

sudo apt-get install mythbuntu-control-centre, then run the control centre and install what bits you want from there.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I concur with nickr.

Install mythbuntu-control-centre first and then use that to chose your system roles (if you don't need the front end then you only need to select 'Mythbackend Primary' (something like that). Once that is installed then you should be able to launch mythbackend from the desktop login. Set up your General first and write down the DB password it's using. You'll need to set that in myth PVR plugin. Then go through and set up the rest of the settings and you should be good to go.

If you are in the USA I highly recommend schedulesdirect to grab your EPG data. It's works great with my FiOS cablecard.

After you have XBMC running and the Myth Plugin installed you will be asked to put in the IP and DB password and a few other things. This is where you want to put in the password you wrote down earlier.
If it is a fresh install, I am guessing you just installed it as a frontend in the options, else the backend should be present. MCC is definately the easiest to set up first for system roles.

I might add, if you ever would even consider adding another frontend onto your network, start with ip rather than the loopback ip for the backend. So many things to change from loopback to static ip and its easy to overlook one of the many settings.
I Just went through this process however I started with a full Ubuntu install and then put XBMC and MythTV on top of it. I feel like that is a better route as XBMCBuntu purposely leaves certain things out of the install to make it more lightweight. It would even be easier to start with Mythbuntu and then add XBMC.

I actually ran into most of my trouble with the static IP. Mythbuntu control center set the ips to static, and that caused issues. If you make it the loopback you will never have problems. If you add other frontends you just specific the boxes IP and address for server and connect right up as long as your ports match. My only hiccup was knowing the SQL DB password which default to a random generated sequence and there is no way to change it. Specific it if you want to make things easy on yourself. mine is aS7UAG9sg and it doesn't seem worth the effort to figure out and change.
(Living Room)
core i7 HD4000 running MythTV .27 and XBMC 16
on XBMCUbuntu 14.04 with 24Hz, DTS-HDMA 7.1
(Bedroom)
core i3 Intel Nuc MythTV .27(front end) and XBMC 16
on Xubuntu 14.04 with 24Hz,
(Mother-in-Law)
Second Gen Raspberry Pi running OpenElec
Droid Turbo with kodi and live tv!
Yes you can change it
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Also as a quick follow up to this. I believe that the XBMCBuntu ISO that is provided is 32bit only. If you install mythbuntu you can install a 64bit version and then manually install xbmc and xbmc-standalone through the package manager. This will allow you to be more efficient if you do anything such as transcoding and such. Additionally it allows you to have more than 4GB of Ram.

I have my system with 32GB of RAM of which 24GB of it is a RAMdisk that things are recorded to and transcoded before being moved to their more semipermanent location on a hard disk.

So if you have a 64bit proc (what isn't these days?) and a lot of RAM then you might want to try what i did or start from a minimal install.
What happens to your recordings if you get a power cut?
the system is on a battery back-up and while that battery won't last if the power stays off for more than 25 or 30 minutes, it's good enough to deal with minor outages and such. But prior to the not-hurricane Sandy the last time I lost power for any extended period of time was 2 years ago.

However if the power is off then the recordings are lost. But it's just TV. The episode will be repeated eventually
So this is an interesting thread... I'm going for a minimalist install of XBMC on Ubuntu minimal. I'm getting ready to do a fresh wipe & reinstall.
What I did before my SQL settings got all hosed was this:
1) install the Ubuntu mini.iso distro using unetbootin & a USB stick, with absolutely no additional options installed. Just a bare Ubuntu terminal console, no desktop, nothing (well I did select OpenSSH so I could log in remotely). I want the most bare, minimalist resource-friendly setup that will run MythTV & XBMC well. (honestly it's unfortunate that a GUI desktop is required to run the backend setup, especially since many backends are just servers of sorts... having seen the setup utility there's no reason it couldn't run in a terminal window.)
2) apt-get install tasksel
3) using tasksel, install

mythbuntu-desktop (Mythbuntu additional roles )
mythbuntu-frontend (Mythbuntu frontend )
mythbuntu-backend-master (Mythbuntu master backend )
mythbuntu-backend-slave (Mythbuntu slave backend)

4) During the installation (via tasksel) of those task-packages, I'm prompted to fill out several MySQL settings like localhost vs. IP#, root password, etc. (I wonder if this is where SQL things went wrong?)
5) proceed with setup of myth backend, & front end, get Myth all set and working (both back and front ends).
6) Install & setup XBMC, modify GRUB so system boots to XBMC.

What I'm hearing in this thread though, is that I should not install those four task-packages via 'tasksel' but rather just install the mythbuntu-control-centre ONLY (at first) and work from there to get the remaining necessary items installed.

Is this correct?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to install MythTV backend on xbmcbuntu0