• 6(current)
MySQL vs UPnP sharing
hi everyone - sorry for not being around to answer questions but I just can't keep track of everything that goes on in the forums - I'm more comfortable with mailing lists and am also right in the middle of my finals at university.

I just quickly scanned through this thread and one question I see that's not answered is whether something like Plex (and others) respect the watched status / resume point update support that I added. The short answer is no I doubt it will (though it could be added by them easily, and I'd welcome that).

The long answer is while the ability has existed for years, behaviour like this has never been dictated by the UPnP specs. So as an example I doubt you'll find many clients in the world that respect the upnp:lastPlaybackPosition metadata tag (other than the wonderful XBMC of course). I also doubt that any other servers support the UpdateObject mechanism we use to pass back resume points and update play counts (watched status). Take a look at how Samsung have handled this, they created their own proprietary method, despite the fact there exists a perfectly workable system described in the UPnP specs since MediaServer:1 (written nearly 15 years ago). Some people just don't like to share their toys with others..

As you can understand this is one of the major annoyances about working with UPnP/DLNA, but it's all achievable with a bit of effort and really there's no other framework out there which is as comprehensive, flexible and platform agnostic. I'm hoping to start to get XBMC up to par with the best free & proprietary UPnP/DLNA servers out there [see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162225].
@alcoheca - thanks for your insightful input. Indeed interoperability with upnp/dlna isn't all it could be, but as you say it tis the best "all it could be" out there. I do get sick of telling popele that their Smart TV isn't necessarily smart enough to play every format that XBMC's upnp service can advertise as available, and that just because you have been collecting xvid avis for years doesn't mean that LG/Samsung/Sony/Panasonic want a bar of them. In the end my suggestion is always that "XBMC is way smarter than your Smart TV, just buy an HTPC and stick it under the TV".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
One question about the UPnP sharing and profiles. Assuming you go with either a headless XBMC server or an always on master instance of XBMC.... I have four profiles used interchangeably across 6 XBMC machines in my house. Does that mean i need 1 instance dedicated to each profile (which have slight variations in sources and completely separate watched data) which would mean i need 4 XBMC servers/machines that can each only run 1 profile? meaning right now i have my headless file server which is running 4 MySQL databases (super easy after the first is set up and almost zero extra overhead after the first) and holds my Movies, Music and TV Shows(18 TBish) and my 6 TVs each with an XBMC machine attached, each set up to allow any of the 4 profiles to login interchangeably. Instead i need My file server, 4 PCs or virtual PCs each running a separate copy of XBMC each one being responsible for a single profile in addition to my already existing TVs (none of them can be the always on master for each profile because I would lose the ability to login to an alternate profile or turn off the PC). Or are you going to enable a single copy of XBMC to load every profile and serve up each profile as a separate UPnP library simultaneously.
The latter. Clearly running 4 copies of xbmc on one machine would be ridiculous.
Guys i need to know if put mysql solution for the library i get any boos tin performance for large libraries (+4k movies, over 40 tv shows and over 360g of music), i have it all on a Synology NAS
A MySQL DB will have zero affect on performance. It simply shares the database of file names with other systems connected and what's been watched / is in progress of being watched. If you want a boost in performance you will need to upgrade your network.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
(2013-06-04, 07:14)sapper6fd Wrote: A MySQL DB will have zero affect on performance. It simply shares the database of file names with other systems connected and what's been watched / is in progress of being watched. If you want a boost in performance you will need to upgrade your network.

lmao. Where did you heard that fary tale?
It obsolutely does impact performance.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Allow me to bring back an old thread instead of opening a new one. I am now using UPNP sharing on Frodo and have three questions:

1) While I can access the server UPNP library on my client XBMC, it remains rather separate. In other words, when I press "movies" in the main screen, it moves to an empty screen (because I don't have a library besides the UPNP anymore). Any thoughts?

2) Any update on additional features for Gotham (watched flags, smart playlists, DVD covers, etc.)?

3) Will the XBMC remote on the XBMC client, which does not even have a library besides accessing the UPNP share from XBMC server.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
1) a skin that lets you make custom home items is great for making the UPnP libraries seem more integrated. Also, in the future XBMC will be able to actually integrate the UPnP libraries as if they were a local library: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfQTGclBfpY and http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165024

2. Watched flags and resume status works great for UPnP in Gotham builds. Smart playlists will work if you make them on the UPnP hosting computer, but the others can only make basic playlists. This is another thing that might be overcome with the work mentioned above.

3. I'm not sure what you mean/are asking...
(2013-09-01, 10:36)Ned Scott Wrote: 1) a skin that lets you make custom home items is great for making the UPnP libraries seem more integrated. Also, in the future XBMC will be able to actually integrate the UPnP libraries as if they were a local library: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfQTGclBfpY and http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165024

2. Watched flags and resume status works great for UPnP in Gotham builds. Smart playlists will work if you make them on the UPnP hosting computer, but the others can only make basic playlists. This is another thing that might be overcome with the work mentioned above.

3. I'm not sure what you mean/are asking...

So it sounds like uPnp will be replacing the mysql portion of xbmc. if its doing all the same stuff no real need to run mysql anymore.
(2013-09-03, 15:24)hewligun Wrote: So it sounds like uPnp will be replacing the mysql portion of xbmc. if its doing all the same stuff no real need to run mysql anymore.

I still don't understand what will happen when I close XBMC in my living room, and switch on XBMC in my bedroom.

Currently, both are accessing the server with the media & MySQL (which is on 24/7) - and it *just works*.
So how does the meta data exist? Is it required to pull from another XBMC instance, does it load the files into it's "local library" and just point to the remote files?

As ConfusedTA said, I have a server in my house (file server, not XBMC machine, not even a monitor hooked up to it). I don't see how this is going to make it any easier on me if I now have to keep my main XBMC machine on all the time just to feed my secondary ones. This definitely seems like a step backwards in functionality, not a step forward. Perhaps they should consider a more PLEX approach and do a small service that can reside on any machine and just feed the meta data (and file locations) to the Clients. This would work in all 3 instance:

1) Standalone machine - service resides on this machine
2) 2 XBMC machines - service can reside on only one machine and would work similar to how the upnp will work (master must be on for children to access it's library)
3) Server/Client - Service would reside on a server and clients would just connect to it. The service could then 'udpate' the library on a more regular basis without the need for a client to do it when it's turned on.

Just my thoughts. I have had very little issues with my MySQL setup and with the addition of the new way they cache images, it has been near perfect. I don't see why it would or should have to go away.
In the long term I suspect we'll have a headless mode or version of XBMC that can run on a NAS/server/whatever, just like MySQL can.
Also hopefully one or two third party UPnP/DLNA servers integrate the media library feature of XBMC into their own servers, so hopefully some of the stuff that runs on lots of commercial off the shelf NAS will be able to do it too.

More modern commercial NAS running Intel Atom's are capable of running full XBMC but there are still tons of models being sold with hardware incapable of handling XBMC.
(2013-09-01, 10:36)Ned Scott Wrote: 2. Watched flags and resume status works great for UPnP in Gotham builds. Smart playlists will work if you make them on the UPnP hosting computer, but the others can only make basic playlists. This is another thing that might be overcome with the work mentioned above.

The main problem with this right now (as far as I know) is that the only way the status is updated is if the client is also XBMC. This is a much more rare (read: IMHO less useful) scenario than have the status be set regardless of DLNA client that's playing back the source. For example, when I use my iPad, I use MLPlayer Lite. On my PC, I *might* want to use WMP, on my 'big screen' I use XBMC (actually running against mySQL so no DLNA in that case for me).

Just my 2 cents. Smile
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL vs UPnP sharing1