• 9(current)
MySQL vs UPnP sharing
You need to add the sources with the share path, rather than as mapped/mounted drives AFAIK. Certainly that's how mine is set up and my library is shared to multiple clients. I'd remove them and add them as proper network shares.
Ok, Cool, Thanks mate.

All NFO's and artwork are exported to the Media folders so rebuilding the library with the smb sources shouldn't take too long.
I had a MySQL database on my main XBMC machine. It worked really well.
Now I'm using UPnP, there's way less to go wrong and on the main machine it's much quicker. When I had issues with the main machine it was a pain to repair with MySQL. With UPnP it's just a normal run of the mill XBMC instance, so easy.
(2013-11-06, 23:26)T800 Wrote: I had a MySQL database on my main XBMC machine. It worked really well.
Now I'm using UPnP, there's way less to go wrong and on the main machine it's much quicker. When I had issues with the main machine it was a pain to repair with MySQL. With UPnP it's just a normal run of the mill XBMC instance, so easy.

I've actually never run into any issues with my MySQL instance except when updating to a beta of Frodo (which I think was an actual bug in the update script in that build). At that point, I just nuked my DB and started over (not a huge deal, just a really long re-scan since I have about 12TB of tv shows an movies). Besides that, its always just worked for me as well. And with Frodo, it now allows you to store the Images on a central server and it automatically caches them on the local machine, so speed has never been an issue since Frodo (Darma was a different story). To me, I'm missing too much with UPnP that I get with MySQL (shared watch status both ways, and resume from last stopping point). As I put in my other post, I really wish we could get a DB updating service to maintain the library instead of depending on the main XBMC program to handle it, but I think I've been told that will never occur, unfortunately.
(2013-11-06, 23:39)sirmeili Wrote:
(2013-11-06, 23:26)T800 Wrote: I had a MySQL database on my main XBMC machine. It worked really well.

I've actually never run into any issues with my MySQL instance except when updating to a beta of Frodo (which I think was an actual bug in the update script in that build). At that point, I just nuked my DB and started over (not a huge deal, just a really long re-scan since I have about 12TB of tv shows an movies). Besides that, its always just worked for me as well. And with Frodo, it now allows you to store the Images on a central server and it automatically caches them on the local machine, so speed has never been an issue since Frodo (Darma was a different story). To me, I'm missing too much with UPnP that I get with MySQL (shared watch status both ways, and resume from last stopping point). As I put in my other post, I really wish we could get a DB updating service to maintain the library instead of depending on the main XBMC program to handle it, but I think I've been told that will never occur, unfortunately.

Gotham has watched status both ways and resume from last stopping point in UPnP that is why I have now moved to it.
I found especially in Frodo that if I restarted XBMC using MySQL when I selected movies it would take ages to bring up images even though they were local (nearly 3000 movies). Not a problem with Gotham and UPnP although it could be a Gotham thing. I never tried Frodo without MySQL either.

When you mention a DB updating service what exactly do you mean? For new content? CouchPotato, SickBeard, Library Watchdog and other programs work quite well.
(2013-11-07, 13:06)T800 Wrote: Gotham has watched status both ways and resume from last stopping point in UPnP that is why I have now moved to it.
I found especially in Frodo that if I restarted XBMC using MySQL when I selected movies it would take ages to bring up images even though they were local (nearly 3000 movies). Not a problem with Gotham and UPnP although it could be a Gotham thing. I never tried Frodo without MySQL either.
I don't quite have that many movies, so maybe that is why I've never noticed it, but since moving to Frodo, I've never had issues with artwork (I did in Darma, but that was because I used a network share to hold the artwork, Frodo does the same thing, but can cache the images locally as well). My biggest problem with uPnP is that I still have to keep a machine with XBMC running and since my server is headless, I don't see the point in doing that on it. There has been talk of a headless XBMC (hacks really), but I would much prefer just a service instead since the code would be better optimized to run and probably be significantly more efficient with resources. I've also read (I think in this thread) that you don't get access to all the album are via uPnP and I don't like that either. For now I don't see uPnP being anywhere near capable of replacing mySQL for my current setup. That may change with the version after Gotham, but only can tell with that.

(2013-11-07, 13:06)T800 Wrote: When you mention a DB updating service what exactly do you mean? For new content? CouchPotato, SickBeard, Library Watchdog and other programs work quite well.
I do not keep my XBMC machine up all the time. I would much prefer a service that runs separately of the xbmc GUI and maintains the library. This could fairly easily be set up to update a singe instance of XBMC (if run on the same machine) or MySQL (if using a server/client setup). Library watchdog is a XBMC plugin, so needs xbmc running. I do believe that both CouchPotato and SickBeard are apps for getting content, not updating the library (XBMC still handles that as far as I know), And when it comes to getting content, I have that taken care of already. I already have my machines scan at startup, but it is still something I have to sit there and wait for it to complete instead of the data just being available. I've always appreciated Plex in this regard, but the rest of Plex is so lacking in relation to XBMC.
It's by no means a perfect fix but you could get a really cheap RPi and have that always on running XBMC with library watchdog. It would use very little power, wouldn't have to be connected to a display and it would always keep the library up to date.

CouchPotato and SickBeard do get content but they also organize whatever lands in their watched folders so they could process whatever is put there. There would still need to be an XBMC runnings somewhere.
(2013-11-07, 17:05)T800 Wrote: It's by no means a perfect fix but you could get a really cheap RPi and have that always on running XBMC with library watchdog. It would use very little power, wouldn't have to be connected to a display and it would always keep the library up to date.

CouchPotato and SickBeard do get content but they also organize whatever lands in their watched folders so they could process whatever is put there. There would still need to be an XBMC runnings somewhere.

I'm thinking of going to UPnP and this sounds like a pretty good idea for something that's always on no matter what. If the media is stored on a NAS is there any need to worry about the 100mb ethernet connection on the PI?
(2013-11-07, 17:31)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-07, 17:05)T800 Wrote: It's by no means a perfect fix but you could get a really cheap RPi and have that always on running XBMC with library watchdog. It would use very little power, wouldn't have to be connected to a display and it would always keep the library up to date.

I'm thinking of going to UPnP and this sounds like a pretty good idea for something that's always on no matter what. If the media is stored on a NAS is there any need to worry about the 100mb ethernet connection on the PI?

You could still use MySQL on the NAS for this, just have the RPi point to the MySQL databse. Any network connection would be fine especially if it's just watching and updating the library. 100mb is generally okay for streaming full blu-rays.
(2013-11-07, 17:31)Platypus2 Wrote:

Network paths for the video files should be communicated over UPnP, so the file loads directly from the NAS and don't have to go through the Pi.
Just so there is no confusion, I'm not saying house the MySQL database on the pi. Just have the pi on all the time running XBMC, headless as a library updater.
Can't for the life of me get MySQL setup on my windows machine never mind working with a library so am looking at UPNP sharing again.

Do the Gotham nightlies or monthly alphas have the extra fanart/discart/clearart transmitting to clients yet. At the moment with Frodo its just posters and the NFO metadata.

Don't care about watched status or resume

If all the artwork is now displayable on the clients and its worth me proceeding, DOES both UPNP server machine and client machines need to be Gotham or can the server machine be gotham but the clients remain frodo??

My UPNP server XBMC instance is Windows but all my clients are openelec so can't switch them to Gotham till Openelec does.
To be honest, they should have just gone with MSSQL express edition (free) instead of MySQL. I find it personally easier to manage and setup MS SQL Server than I do MySQL. Of course I work with SQL Server every day, so that might be why I feel that way.
(2013-11-26, 19:59)sirmeili Wrote: To be honest, they should have just gone with MSSQL express edition (free) instead of MySQL. I find it personally easier to manage and setup MS SQL Server than I do MySQL. Of course I work with SQL Server every day, so that might be why I feel that way.
What operating systems does MSSQL work on? Oh yeah Windows. So that's not going to be a winner for a multi OS project is it!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Very true. I didn't think of that. And saying that I"m moving my XBMC installs to xbmcubuntu, you think I would have! (though my server will remain windows).
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL vs UPnP sharing1