• 10(current)
MySQL vs UPnP sharing
Anyone know if extra fanart, discart, clear art, logos etc are supported with upnp sharing on Gotham. With frodo it's just poster art. If Gotham does share all the aforementioned artwork, does both the server xbmc upnp instance and the clients have to be Gotham or can the server be Gotham but the clients be frodo
(2013-11-27, 23:12)calibos Wrote: Anyone know if extra fanart, discart, clear art, logos etc are supported with upnp sharing on Gotham. With frodo it's just poster art. If Gotham does share all the aforementioned artwork, does both the server xbmc upnp instance and the clients have to be Gotham or can the server be Gotham but the clients be frodo

Sadly no support for that yet and doubtful if it will be added in gotham.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I just tried a PI running Gotham and Gotham alpha build on my desktop to test the new UPnP features. The playback was fine, watched / resume worked well and it didn't feel as laggy as the mysql I tried before (navigating between menus would take a few seconds / bug out).

Just wondering though, is it (in Gotham, I know it isn't currently) or will it be, possible to add UPnP sources to the local library? While I did get artwork, I didn't get any further information and couldn't press 'i' to get the additional information screen. Also it didn't sort between movies/tv shows (presumably because it wasn't added) so for example in the default confluence it wouldn't have movies/tv shows menu come up.
(2013-12-01, 02:35)Platypus2 Wrote: I just tried a PI running Gotham and Gotham alpha build on my desktop to test the new UPnP features. The playback was fine, watched / resume worked well and it didn't feel as laggy as the mysql I tried before (navigating between menus would take a few seconds / bug out).

Just wondering though, is it (in Gotham, I know it isn't currently) or will it be, possible to add UPnP sources to the local library? While I did get artwork, I didn't get any further information and couldn't press 'i' to get the additional information screen. Also it didn't sort between movies/tv shows (presumably because it wasn't added) so for example in the default confluence it wouldn't have movies/tv shows menu come up.

For the video info screen, I've asked about that here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=179334

Being able to integrate/sync/mush UPnP libraries with the local library is something we hope to do, but it will be a long-term task. For now, in the main menu's Movies and TV show buttons, you can effectively replicate that behavior by simply using a skin that has custom home items (wiki). I use this modded version of Confluence to add UPnP library shares to my main menu: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145080
(2013-12-01, 04:40)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-12-01, 02:35)Platypus2 Wrote: I just tried a PI running Gotham and Gotham alpha build on my desktop to test the new UPnP features. The playback was fine, watched / resume worked well and it didn't feel as laggy as the mysql I tried before (navigating between menus would take a few seconds / bug out).

For the video info screen, I've asked about that here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=179334

Being able to integrate/sync/mush UPnP libraries with the local library is something we hope to do, but it will be a long-term task. For now, in the main menu's Movies and TV show buttons, you can effectively replicate that behavior by simply using a skin that has custom home items (wiki). I use this modded version of Confluence to add UPnP library shares to my main menu: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145080

Nice, thank you for making that thread.

I have liked my initial (albeit only alphas) tests of this new feature, and I'm happy to work around (using skins) the whole 'cant scan to local library' situation for the moment as I appreciate it is probably a long way off yet, but wasn't completely sure what the progress for it was wrt Gotham.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll switch over to UPnP until the information screen 'works'. The watched/resume status is great but I think without that it takes a little too much away from the xbmc experience for me. Will be interesting to see how a 'fake' one works, for example selecting a cast and seeing what else they have appeared in I would expect wouldn't work like it would from a scanned local library? Will have to see what happens Smile

I'm glad I tested the alphas though, should be really good in the future.
Hi, i stumbled on this thread looking into something else. Not entirely off topic though.. (i hope)

Im running a fork for xmbc on an android device. I have configured this to use an external player since performance is better. But unfortunately this player does not support cifs/smb share. It does however play upnp paths very well.

The xbmc library source is smb - since I have everything prescraped and all supporting files in these paths. My question is can I somehow sync/link the smb share so when the file is played it instead uses the working upnp path for playback?
Further to above post ^

I reckon I could get this to work if i can edit the movie .nfo files with the upnp path and force xbmc to update with the new paths instead. I looked to see if there are tags to do this and have even attempted some manual edits, but so far cant determine if it is possible. xbmc continues to use the smb path regardless of the nfo settings.
Does path substitution work?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-03, 07:33)nickr Wrote: Does path substitution work?

I have not tried but would imagine no - since the upnp naming scheme is basically random characters i cant see how it would map or translate.
Mount the smb share - android does support that, and then it is like playing a local file, and path subs will work.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
thanks nickr! Im using cifs shares (not smb) which makes this the ideal solution. My kernal supports cifs out of the box so needed nothing more than cifs manager and I am up and running. Some playback tests show indicate that is more than fast enough for smooth 1080p content.

No need to substitute paths either. I am mounting shares on startup and using the mounted directory for both xbmc library and playback.

Thanks again.
Yeah I probably refer to smb and cifs interchangably, although I know I shouldn't. Glad it's working.
Just to share my experience.. Not really answering any specific question of anyone here..

I've successfully setup uPnP using the latest december 2013 developers build.
I've successfully setup MySQL and using it as central XBMC database.
I've successfully setup local databases using the Path Mapping feature of XBMC.
I've successfully setup the mklink (windows) and ln (OSX) to use 1 single location on a NAS

In my experience, the easiest way to setup and maintain the databases is the latest option.
Make dynamic or hard links to a central NAS location for ALL user data.. It works on
Linux, OSX, Windows and not only you can store the databases and thumbnails but also
the XBMC settings so you don't have to setup each XBMC installation around your house.
It also takes care of plugins, alternative skins etc.. Everything at 1 location and everywhere your
XBMC looks just fine. Of course if you use advanced settings xml with specific hardware video
resolutions you'll get a problem. But for most users it's the best NOT to use this feature in
the advanced settings xml since XBMC by default automatically selects the proper settings for
video output on program start and doesn't read it from any hard written info of a file.

I do have another side note next to the Advanced settings xml limitation, if you use XBMC on
your iPad, you can use the MySQL solution but NOT the dynamic linking solution since iOS
can't read smb shares. Generally apple kernel is very limited and doesn't offer many international
standards due to apple policy to force users to use Apple Only solutions.

If you know how to hack iOS, I've jailbroken it but don't know how to hack the kernel, but if you
know it, I'd love to know how to hack it and have smbfs installed on the iOS so I can link XBMC on iOS as well,
but since I don't know how to do that, iOS XBMC can only use uPnP or MySQL solutions.

Depending on which devices you use I'd say go for the dynamic linking solution if you don't use Apple
devices. If you have AppleTV or iPad, iPhone you'd be better of with either MySQL or the build-in uPnP,
I'd prefer the uPnP since it's easier to setup AND to maintain, since you don't need anything else then a
XBMC on any "server" system. MySQL needs a special installation additional to XBMC, and to fix a messed-up
MySQL can be a tough job for newcomers..

The Path Mapping in the advanced settings xml isn't preferable in any case I think. It was offered as solution
before MySQL, uPnP came. It's hard to troubleshoot and a lot of micro manage the XML file to maintain if your
network and file storage comes more complicated.
It's easier to use a "mklink" or "ln" command because this is simply a kind of "pointer" for all information
you may want to put in the advanced settings xml.

In case anyone has a question, simply PM me..
Wait, I tried this, but windows won't let me make a junction with mklink over a network share. How did you do that?
you may have to mount the share to a drive letter to mklink it in windows, its been a while but ive done this before as well.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL vs UPnP sharing1