Exit XBMC when finished or leave running?
When I am finished watching/listening to content on XBMC I will exit the application, return to Windows, leave Windows and my HTPC running and either power down my other home theater components (TV, AVR) or switch to a different input, i.e. satellite set top box.

I'm wondering if I should just always leave XMBC running instead, always on, or whether it would it is better to exit the app and restart the app when I want to view XBMC content for some technical reason (clean up databases, processes?).
I suspect it depends on the stability of your set-up, memory leaks over time might necessitate a reboot of the O/S or XBMC for that matter. I personally don't like automatic updates of anything, sometimes these updates can plug the works and if I'm manual or at least notified, I can revert that process, while automatic leaves one wondering what happened. Keeping a PC, NAS, or HT alive 24/7 can bring energy and component longevity issues, I like the idea of an on/off switch.
you can put your computer to sleep with xbmc still running so when you wake it boots right back to xbmc. i wouldnt cloes the app. this does nothing to clean up databases etc or whatever else you mentioned.
p.s. i leave my htpc with linux and xbmc running 24/7 i dont bother with suspend/resume i do have it turn the monitor off after 120 mins though
Someone has calculated that the energy-usage of a 24/7 Raspberry pi and a standard 5v phone charger runs about $5USD per year.

FYI, it's not recommended that you run the pi off of peripheral ports like the USB connection on a TV set or a computer - they're usually not very well regulated.
You will very likely corrupt all of your XBMC settings and library database by shutting the Pi down suddenly like that. If XBMC doesn't shut down cleanly it's almost a guarantee that there will be issues. If not now, it will happen eventually. Happened all the time when XBMC for iOS used to crash upon exiting (since fixed). It's not really fun to rebuild the library and change settings every week or even month.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Exit XBMC when finished or leave running?0