XBMC and transcoding on the fly
Hello,

I have some XBMC players at home and video / music content on NAS Synology, everything OK.

Now I want use XBMC outside of home on laptop or XBMC android on phone or tablet and use same library and transcoding on the fly feature. What is best scenario and software (media server, library and so on) for this usage? Is possible control transcoding on some media server from XBMC?

Thank you very much for your help.
I use Emit on my Android devices to watch stuff from my XBMC TV and Movie Servers...

Works great...

http://www.emitapp.com/

[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
(2012-12-27, 12:27)Pr.Sinister Wrote: I use Emit on my Android devices to watch stuff from my XBMC TV and Movie Servers...

Works great...

http://www.emitapp.com/

Thanks for your tip. I will try it.
I use Plex since it is dead simple to install/config (takes like 5 minutes total) and the support and community are huge.

I considered others like Emit, PS3, UMC but they seemed like a lot more work to get running... plus, I pray one day soon XBMC supports Plex Server - then all will be right with XBMC Smile
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I keep writing it into every thread, which brings up the transcoding topic...

XBMC is getting pretty close to having transcoding functionality. The new UPnP server is already part of Frodo and offers quite exciting functionality (and much more to come). Transcoding is on the roadmap.

So, would love to see this development accelerated rather than seeing Plexserver functionality.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2012-12-29, 08:25)Livin Wrote: I use Plex since it is dead simple to install/config (takes like 5 minutes total) and the support and community are huge.

I considered others like Emit, PS3, UMC but they seemed like a lot more work to get running... plus, I pray one day soon XBMC supports Plex Server - then all will be right with XBMC Smile

Yes, I am also thinking about Plex Server for this usage. Is there any possibility for importing my library from XBMC to Plex?
(2012-12-29, 08:25)Livin Wrote: I use Plex since it is dead simple to install/config (takes like 5 minutes total) and the support and community are huge.

Not sure when you last tried Emit but when i set it up on my servers. i ran the install, added folders, added a password for remote viewing. Done.

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
(2012-12-30, 10:42)Pr.Sinister Wrote:

Not sure when you last tried Emit but when i set it up on my servers. i ran the install, added folders, added a password for remote viewing. Done.

-Pr.

And what about library and metadata on Emit? Is possible share with XBMC?
(2012-12-30, 12:08)PV_XBMC Wrote:
(2012-12-30, 10:42)Pr.Sinister Wrote:

-Pr.

That's what I am saying. All of this will be possible with the new UPnP server. It already streams the XBMC library with meta data et al. Transcoding is on the roadmap, but not yet implemented.

So, instead of waiting for some Plex add-on, better wait for enabling of transcoding of the UPnP server. There are several threads on this topic.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
(2012-12-30, 13:02)steve1977 Wrote:
(2012-12-30, 12:08)PV_XBMC Wrote:
(2012-12-30, 10:42)Pr.Sinister Wrote: Not sure when you last tried Emit but when i set it up on my servers. i ran the install, added folders, added a password for remote viewing. Done.

-Pr.

That's what I am saying. All of this will be possible with the new UPnP server. It already streams the XBMC library with meta data et al. Transcoding is on the roadmap, but not yet implemented.

So, instead of waiting for some Plex add-on, better wait for enabling of transcoding of the UPnP server. There are several threads on this topic.

Yes, I am asking about Emit because it is very simple, but it probably works only with files not with library and metadata.

More complex solution now with library and metadata sharing is definitely with XBMC UPnP. And what about using BubbleUPNP server for transcoding till XBMC have option for transcoding? I have wrote more about it in your thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1280579 now.
(2012-12-30, 13:13)PV_XBMC Wrote: Yes, I am asking about Emit because it is very simple, but it probably works only with files not with library and metadata.

You are right, Emit "just" works with folders and files and does not have access to the XBMC library.

(2012-12-30, 13:13)PV_XBMC Wrote: More complex solution now with library and metadata sharing is definitely with XBMC UPnP.

Actually, the current XBMC UPNP implementation is dead simple. Just misses the key feature. If more users would realize and there were a larger UPNP community out there, I am sure that the development of transcoding functionality would accelerate.

(2012-12-30, 13:13)PV_XBMC Wrote: And what about using BubbleUPNP server for transcoding till XBMC have option for transcoding? I have wrote more about it in your thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1280579 now.

I saw your question in the other thread and am also waiting for an answer. I doubt that BubbleUPNP can work on-top of XBMC UPNP and keep the library. I always had assumed it would be instead of the XBMC UPNP.

But let's see the answers.
(2012-12-30, 13:29)steve1977 Wrote: I saw your question in the other thread and am also waiting for an answer. I doubt that BubbleUPNP can work on-top of XBMC UPNP and keep the library. I always had assumed it would be instead of the XBMC UPNP.

But let's see the answers.

BubbleUPNP is tier above existing DLNA/UPnP server.

Some info from web http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/:

"
BubbleUPnP Server provides new services on top of your existing UPnP/DLNA devices:
secure Internet access to your UPnP/DLNA Media Servers content with BubbleUPnP for Android and foobar2000 on Windows.
stream and download your music, video, photos with your Android device from a mobile or WiFi connection with optional transcoding to reduce bandwidth.
no need to sync, to upload to the cloud, to register to an online service, ... You're in control!
create OpenHome Media Renderers from any UPnP AV renderer (provides on-device playlist, multiple Control Point access to the same renderer). Works with BubbleUPnP for Android.
fix issues of UPnP/DLNA Media Servers (discovery issues, broken data, add some audio DLNA compliance) by creating a proxy Media Server
BUBBLEUPNP SERVER IS NOT AN UPNP AV MEDIA SERVER
It requires at least one working UPnP AV Media Server (Windows Media Player, Twonky, Asset UPnP, ...) or Media Renderer to do something useful.
"

I tried it and it keep library and metadata of XBMC. I didnt try everything yet, but it is promising in my opinion.
wow, this is fantastic! anything missing or is this indeed the ultimate solution? at least ultimate until upnp upgrades for transcoding Wink

does bubbleupnp only target or can I also view movies via iPhone?
(2012-12-30, 20:54)PV_XBMC Wrote: BubbleUPNP is tier above existing DLNA/UPnP server.

Some info from web http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/:

"
BubbleUPnP Server provides new services on top of your existing UPnP/DLNA devices:
secure Internet access to your UPnP/DLNA Media Servers content with BubbleUPnP for Android and foobar2000 on Windows.
stream and download your music, video, photos with your Android device from a mobile or WiFi connection with optional transcoding to reduce bandwidth.
no need to sync, to upload to the cloud, to register to an online service, ... You're in control!
create OpenHome Media Renderers from any UPnP AV renderer (provides on-device playlist, multiple Control Point access to the same renderer). Works with BubbleUPnP for Android.
fix issues of UPnP/DLNA Media Servers (discovery issues, broken data, add some audio DLNA compliance) by creating a proxy Media Server
BUBBLEUPNP SERVER IS NOT AN UPNP AV MEDIA SERVER
It requires at least one working UPnP AV Media Server (Windows Media Player, Twonky, Asset UPnP, ...) or Media Renderer to do something useful.
"

I tried it and it keep library and metadata of XBMC. I didnt try everything yet, but it is promising in my opinion.

UPnP & DLNA only work on the LAN... e.g. your Local Network. Does not work over the Internet.

BubbleUPnP Server:
requires a LAN based UPnP AV Media Server
basically acts as a streaming gateway so you can stream over the Internet (including transcoding)

While BubbleUPnP looks decent, unless there is something "critical" BubbleUPnP has that Plex does not I think Plex has many more advantages ... huge community support, great media manager built-in, etc

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
real integration into xbmc on its own may be a real advantage of bubbleupnp over plex media server.

has anyone got bubbleupnp set-up and does it send full meta data and works as xbmc library?

any iOS player?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and transcoding on the fly0