XBMC and transcoding on the fly
(2012-12-31, 05:43)steve1977 Wrote: real integration into xbmc on its own may be a real advantage of bubbleupnp over plex media server.

has anyone got bubbleupnp set-up and does it send full meta data and works as xbmc library?

any iOS player?

IMO BubbleUPnP does not integrate (definition: "Combine with another so that they become a whole") into XBMC - they remain completely separate and not dependent on each other.

XBMC 'can' be used as a backend to Bubble... Bubble then makes it available to their custom clients (Android app, etc).

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2012-12-31, 03:14)steve1977 Wrote: wow, this is fantastic! anything missing or is this indeed the ultimate solution? at least ultimate until upnp upgrades for transcoding Wink

does bubbleupnp only target or can I also view movies via iPhone?

I tried several clients on android (BubbleUPnp, XBMC for android, UPnPlay, Skifta) and every can read library and metadata thru XBMC thru BubbleUPnP Server so I think it works on most clients and it could be possible on iPhone too.

I tried it in scenario:

NAS -> XBMC UPnP -> BubbleUPnP server -> android client (BubbleUPnp, XBMC for android, UPnPlay, Skifta)
Wow, so it indeed works? Using this solution, you can actually have a "real library" on XBMC for Android including fanart, sorting by genre, etc?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi

Quote:While BubbleUPnP looks decent, unless there is something "critical" BubbleUPnP has that Plex does not I think Plex has many more advantages ... huge community support, great media manager built-in, etc

Except the Plex client is not too great and is missing key features and plugin support (for me at least). Meaning if you want the best of both worlds you need to maintain two libraries. Confused

Don't get me wrong though, I think the Plex PMS is fantastic and the new web client for it is truly awesome (i'd kill for an equivalent xbmc web client) not to mention the iOS client that doesn't need a jailbreak Tongue

In an ideal world, where hatchets could be buried, these two projects would come back together taking the best from both. The PMS from Plex with the iOS, Web and Android clients and the XBMC clients on all the various platforms its supported on. However, its never going to happen due to the different directions the projects are going. But one can dream Angel

(2013-01-01, 20:53)PV_XBMC Wrote:
(2012-12-31, 03:14)steve1977 Wrote: wow, this is fantastic! anything missing or is this indeed the ultimate solution? at least ultimate until upnp upgrades for transcoding Wink

I tried several clients on android (BubbleUPnp, XBMC for android, UPnPlay, Skifta) and every can read library and metadata thru XBMC thru BubbleUPnP Server so I think it works on most clients and it could be possible on iPhone too.

I tried it in scenario:

NAS -> XBMC UPnP -> BubbleUPnP server -> android client (BubbleUPnp, XBMC for android, UPnPlay, Skifta)

Anyone tried this on an iphone client yet?
(2012-12-29, 08:25)Livin Wrote: I use Plex since it is dead simple to install/config (takes like 5 minutes total) and the support and community are huge.

I considered others like Emit, PS3, UMC but they seemed like a lot more work to get running... plus, I pray one day soon XBMC supports Plex Server - then all will be right with XBMC Smile

I prey for that too - but dont hold your breath!
(2012-12-30, 13:02)steve1977 Wrote:
(2012-12-30, 12:08)PV_XBMC Wrote:
(2012-12-30, 10:42)Pr.Sinister Wrote: Not sure when you last tried Emit but when i set it up on my servers. i ran the install, added folders, added a password for remote viewing. Done.

-Pr.

And what about library and metadata on Emit? Is possible share with XBMC?

That's what I am saying. All of this will be possible with the new UPnP server. It already streams the XBMC library with meta data et al. Transcoding is on the roadmap, but not yet implemented.

So, instead of waiting for some Plex add-on, better wait for enabling of transcoding of the UPnP server. There are several threads on this topic.

But I want an iOS client that doesn't need a jailbreak - or better still a web based client like the new one with the Plex PMS Big Grin Is that on the roadmap? Wink

There is a plex addon (PleXBMC) that allows XBMC to access a Plex library, but its somewhat flaky.

XBMC is the best all round media centre in my opinion but Plex does have some killer features right now
(2013-01-03, 23:25)ijhammo Wrote: But I want an iOS client that doesn't need a jailbreak - or better still a web based client like the new one with the Plex PMS Big Grin Is that on the roadmap? Wink

If/once the UPNP server supports transcoding, it would be a piece of cake for the current XBMC remotes for iOS to act as a client. Same for the web front end. So, the bottle neck is the UPNP server right now and everything else would come easily.

(2013-01-03, 23:25)ijhammo Wrote: There is a plex addon (PleXBMC) that allows XBMC to access a Plex library, but its somewhat flaky.

XBMC is the best all round media centre in my opinion but Plex does have some killer features right now

I am not disagreeing that Plex has some benefits, just saying that an interface to PMS will not be the right path ahead and this development time would be better spent on further developing the UPNP server, which would close all gaps to Plex...
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2013-01-03, 23:46)steve1977 Wrote:
(2013-01-03, 23:25)ijhammo Wrote: But I want an iOS client that doesn't need a jailbreak - or better still a web based client like the new one with the Plex PMS Big Grin Is that on the roadmap? Wink

If/once the UPNP server supports transcoding, it would be a piece of cake for the current XBMC remotes for iOS to act as a client. Same for the web front end. So, the bottle neck is the UPNP server right now and everything else would come easily.

(2013-01-03, 23:25)ijhammo Wrote: There is a plex addon (PleXBMC) that allows XBMC to access a Plex library, but its somewhat flaky.

I am not disagreeing that Plex has some benefits, just saying that an interface to PMS will not be the right path ahead and this development time would be better spent on further developing the UPNP server, which would close all gaps to Plex...

Dont get me wrong, I totally agree with you. Focus all the efforts on getting transcoding working on the XBMC upnp server as soon as possible Big Grin

Especially as the transcoding from bubbleupnp doesn't seem to work on anything but the bubble android client and foobar Confused
(2013-01-01, 20:53)PV_XBMC Wrote:

I tried it in scenario:

I have tried BubbleUPnP Server more in last days... Tests that I did before was on local network and unfortunately it is not right for outside usage thru internet.

This scenario:

NAS -> XBMC UPnP -> BubbleUPnP server -> android client (BubbleUPnP, XBMC for android, UPnPlay, Skifta)

works only on local network.

For outside usage via internet works only this scenario:

NAS -> XBMC UPnP -> BubbleUPnP server -> android client BubbleUPnP

Transcoding and setting of transcoding is probably possible choose only on BubbleUPnP for Android.

So for iPhone I think you need BubbleUPnP for iPhone, but unfortunately it probably does not exist till now.

In every variant above (in local network and outside via internet) XBMC library and metadata works and could be used in clients app.
BubbleUPnP sounds like a possible work around for my friend's problem

I see both regular XBMC and new Bubble XBMC [proxy] UPnP servers on the network. (via windows, and any UPnP client app)

What's the best iOS UPnP Client app?

I tried MediaConnect, but when you try to play a .mkv (even from the [proxy] XMBC MediaConnect app hands it off to FlexPlayer (and then asks to pay $7.99 for premium codec pack!) So only .mp4 works for "free" It appears that MediaConnect isn't letting BubbleUpnp transocde anything at all. It still wants to hand off the MKV movie to the Flex paid app.

Why isn't any transcoding happening? What's the difference between options: "Create a proxy Media Server on this LAN" & "Create an OpenHome renderer"?

Here is my friends setup and Goal.

-2007 Mac Mini running XBMC 12 (Frodo) This works great in the the living room. We have complete library access and control via the XBMC Remote iPhone/iPad app.

-Bedroom
Apple TV 3 hooked up to 50" TV
He wants to have access to the full XBMC video library, play them on his iPad & video mirror to the Apple TV 3.
(you can't jailbreak Apple TV 3, so mirroring is best option)

We've installed XBMC on his Macbook, and pointed Video library's to UPnP. This works for now, but the Macbook Air is underpowered and Video Mirroring is tiny.
His brand new 2013 iPad is the way to go.

Maybe I should add Plex Server on the Mac Mini? Are it's UPnP videos transcoded to UPnP clients? I don't want to pay for apps though, and would rather not bog the old mac mini down futher.

I really hope XBMC dev's take Transcoding serious soon.

If I look at other options such as StreamToMe, AirVideo, Air PlayIt it would work, but you don't have access to the full library with covers. Files are spread out to many hard drives, so drilling down to sub folders via these apps is an awful experience.

So in summary, is my BubbleUPnP setup correct for transcoding? It doesn't work, and I have limited app choices since neither of us use Android.
(2013-01-03, 23:46)steve1977 Wrote: I am not disagreeing that Plex has some benefits, just saying that an interface to PMS will not be the right path ahead and this development time would be better spent on further developing the UPNP server, which would close all gaps to Plex...

Actually it would not come even close to Plex... UPnP only works on a LAN (local network). Plex streams across any network LAN or WAN or WWAN or whatever (e.g. the internet). UPnP does not solve anything. And, not sure why anyone would need to transcode to stream on a LAN... sounds like they just simply need to spend a few bucks and get better LAN equipment?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I hope you guys can help me.

I have a ATV2 running xbmc gotham. I have an nexus tablet with a good xbmc remote app (Yatse) that supports UPnP streaming.

Everything works perfectly and I can stream mp4 and mkv files. However, I have issues with avi files streaming very poorly at 1fps!

Does UPnP require the ATV to transcode the avi file or is it just passing the video file location/URL to the client?

Thanks for any help
http://www.mediabrowser3.com/
And how would MB3 help with this issue ?
And since when are you able to install it on a ATV ?
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and transcoding on the fly0