Win xbmc / MediaPortal TV Server / Power Scheduler
Hello,

I'm using xbmc 12 with the Media Portal TV Server 1.3 Beta. TV within xbmc is working fine, but I now have a question regarding power managment.

How do I have to setup the MePo PowerScheduler and settings in xbmc, so that, the computer will wake up from hibernate for scheduled recordings, go back to hibernate after a recording, and the computer is prevented from hibernation, when I watch a movie in xbmc.

Does xbmc has it's own power scheduler, that wakes up the computer for tv recordings, or do I need to use the PowerScheduler from MediaPortal? I tried the first, but then xbmc didn't care about a scheduled recording and the computer hibernated, while it should have done the recording. And when I use the PowerScheduler from MePo, the computer also hibernates, when I watch a movie in xbmc.

Regards,
--Alex
The PowerScheduler from Mediaportal would be my first option, but I see your problem, when you are using XBMC to watch a movie.
The MediaPortal PVR addon has no knowledge about PowerScheduler related things, so I can't easily fix this.
The best way would be to extend the XBMC power scheduler to take into account PVR stuff. My advice is to post a feature request for this in the PVR development section. (There might be already a post about this if I remember correctly).
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
any news here. I just test xmbc in combination with mediaportal TV server. My main problem is, that htpc falls in to sleep while I am e.g. listen to music, because MP TV Server power scheduler thinks mp client ios in active what it is indeed when i am using xmbc
Tongue 
What do you think? That we simply solved this problem in 3 days? Wink
Current answer remains: no solution available at the moment.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
As a workaround I now use the PowerScheduler from Media Portal, configured it to not sleep, when the XBMC process is running and set XBMC to exit, when idle for more than 5 minutes. I use HibernateTrigger to start XBMC, when suspending from hibernate.
This way, when I watch a movie in XBMC, XBMC keeps running and the Media Portal PowerScheduler does not hibernate. When I stop watching a movie in XBMC for longer than 5 minutes, XBMC exits and now allows the MePo PowerScheduler to hibernate. When the computer wakes up the next time, XBMC is restarted automatically by HibernateTrigger.
(2012-12-30, 20:25)margro Wrote: What do you think? That we simply solved this problem in 3 days? Wink
Current answer remains: no solution available at the moment.

Hi Margro,

Sorry , had to many open windows in my browser an did not watch the date of this post.Blush

As an idea for mediaportal users or windows users.

As I understand in Mediaportal is a server power scheduler plugin as well as a client plugin. Standby handling is handled between them. So maybe there is a way to adapt the MP power scheduler client plugin for XMBC as an xmbc addon. This would be great. Howle standby handling could be solved in comparatively way. MP power scheduler runs stable and solid

I used MP for many years now. When I see XMBC now, I definately think about to change my htpc software.

Great work!

Thanks!

BR
JuRo

deleted
(2012-12-30, 22:01)alexirion Wrote: As a workaround I now use the PowerScheduler from Media Portal, configured it to not sleep, when the XBMC process is running and set XBMC to exit, when idle for more than 5 minutes. I use HibernateTrigger to start XBMC, when suspending from hibernate.
This way, when I watch a movie in XBMC, XBMC keeps running and the Media Portal PowerScheduler does not hibernate. When I stop watching a movie in XBMC for longer than 5 minutes, XBMC exits and now allows the MePo PowerScheduler to hibernate. When the computer wakes up the next time, XBMC is restarted automatically by HibernateTrigger.

This should work, I just test this within the power scheduler inbuild commandline fucntion after resume or wake up, maybe hypernate trigger is not required ...
ok this works for me as a workaraound, I did not use hybernate trigger and command line function I did not go to work on my system. I used win 7 task management. Configured Task starts xmbc, starting time of xmbc take about 10-15 sec ;-(

I would prefer a solution where xmbc directly is availabe and no restart of xmbc is required. For the moment I can life with this.

BR
Juro
Have you considered the add-on: Advanced Wake On Lan, from my first impressions (after installing it) is that it could be very useful. Once installed, you can go in via 'Programs' and send a magic packet to a configured server. Also supports a WOL magic packet send on XBMC startup. Would like to see a setting for sending a WOL magic packet on entering the 'Live TV' menu.
(2013-01-04, 21:18)Birdincamera Wrote: Have you considered the add-on: Advanced Wake On Lan, from my first impressions (after installing it) is that it could be very useful. Once installed, you can go in via 'Programs' and send a magic packet to a configured server. Also supports a WOL magic packet send on XBMC startup. Would like to see a setting for sending a WOL magic packet on entering the 'Live TV' menu.

Don't understand what you mean, main challende is, to keep the htpc alive using the Media Portal Power scheduler and XMBC?!
Am assuming you are referring to the MePo power scheduler plug in for MePo TV server, that will do nothing for your XMBC power management. The Advanced Wake on Lan add-on for XMBC at least allows you to wake up the server on XMBC launch and wake it up from within XMBC. The Wiki for it also suggest you could send the wake on command when you enter specific menus in XMBC, ie - you start XMBC, it wakes the server - but you dont watch TV for a while say 1 hour, if the server is set to 'sleep' before this time is up, it wont be available for live TV in XMBC - so you could go into the 'programs' menu on XMBC, run 'AWOL' and this (should) wake the server - so now its available. The Wiki also suggests you could edit the xml to send a WOL packet when you enter a specific menu, ie: Live TV.

Correct me if my assumption is wrong.
Hi,

sorry, but your recommedation is not usable in daily usage. You watch TV, server goes in standby and everytime you want to wake the server?!
Again, the challenge is to keep the server alive not to wake it up. Wakings up a server seems to be easy because there are many solutions and possibilities to wake up a server

I think I forgot to mention that I run a single seat environment. So a solution for the moment is alexirion's recommendation.

In a long term view only reasonable soution would be a client server power scheduler support for supported pvr solutions.

BR
Juro
Ah!. Different scenario for me, 3 clients, 1 server - With MePo I could keep/wake the server as and when needed without my current method, 1 area where MePo is stronger, I never need to visit the server (headless) or kludge it (as per going into the programs menu).

Yes, for your scenario, the 'keep MePo TV server alive while XBMC runs' is a logical choice
I'm facing the exact same problem. And I've found a relatively easy solution.

Enable the sleep timer in XBMC (Settings->System->Power saving) and set it to go to sleep after X minutes.
This timer will put XBMC to sleep when there's no activity in XBMC, but waits for recordings to finish.
For this to work the (MP's) powerscheduler plugin needs to be configured as followed:
- Shut down server after being idle needs to disabled (it's disabled by default)
- Wake up server for various wake up events needs to be enabled.
- Shut down mode needs to be set to 'Stay On' (default value)

Now XBMC will put the system to sleep after being idle (after a scheduled recording).
And powerscheduler will wake up the system prior to a scheduled recording!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc / MediaPortal TV Server / Power Scheduler0