OS X TV Tuner Hardware Recommendations
I'm planning to cancel my Cable-TV and switch to DVB-S.

Which tv tuner hardware (elgato, hauppauge....?) can be recommended in order to work with myth-tv (backend OSX, frontend ATV2)?
Romanes eunt domus
(2012-12-27, 20:11)skippr Wrote: Which tv tuner hardware (elgato, hauppauge....?) can be recommended in order to work with myth-tv (backend OSX, frontend ATV2)?

So far I am having pretty good luck with a HDHomeRun Dual for over the air reception, although it's not exactly a piece of cake to set up with MythTV (not horribly difficult, just a few things that will throw you the first time you set it up), and for the time being you will need to use the MythTV frontend software to reliably schedule programs (see my topic "XBMC schedules recording on wrong sub-channel (from over-the-air ch.)").

I'm using a repurposed Mac Mini as a backend (running Mythbuntu… shhhh, don't tell Apple) and it seems to be working pretty well but I can't use cards because the Mini has no card slots. And you mentioned DVB-S which (I assume) means you are either outside the North America or you plan to watch Free-To-Air satellite in the USA/Canada etc. There's really not that much left on Free-To-Air in North America anymore (especially in High Definition) but the only thing I have found that might work with a Mac Mini at a reasonable price is the TBS5922 DVB-S2 TV Tuner USB, but I can't find any decent reviews on it. The same company makes a couple other models (I think one is designed for Europe and has a card slot).

If we had a bit more of a selection of Free-To-Air programming here in the USA I might consider buying one, since I used to have a Diamond 9000HD satellite receiver that got taken out by a power surge, and at one time I used it quite a bit (and I still have the dishes, DiSEqC switch, etc). But when I look at Lyngsat or the SatelliteGuys site, I just can't find much of anything I'd actually want to watch up there anymore - MAYBE one or two channels but that's it. All the good stuff has been scrambled and nothing new has come in to take its place. Of course if you are looking for foreign language (non-English) programming, you might find the pickings are not quite as slim.
Thanks for commenting.

This whole idea of using non-cable tv is new to me, I guess my basic question is wether e.g. elgato eye tv sat (including ci-slot) would generally be able to feed mythtv. i'm afraid it might not, but cannot verify this via web searches.

on the other hand there already is an eyetv parser addon, so without any need to use pvr-functionality perhaps i should quit the whole mythtv-issue. i got the notion that mythtv has a far better gui than other solutions, but cannot verify this.

so honestly, i haven't understood this technology completely, solely the backend/softend-structure is clear to me.

if any (probably european/german based) member has any kind of advice, it would be appreciated.
Romanes eunt domus

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Tuner Hardware Recommendations0