Upgrade from Dharma to Frodo.. worth it?
Hi Everyone -

I have been using XBMC throughout my home for quite some time now. I have 3 HTPC's running XBMC on Windows 7, all sync'ed with a MySQL DB that lives on my NAS and used the symlink trick to sync my thumbnails to my desktop which is always on. Everything is working great on Dharma, but after skipping Eden I feel like I should go to Frodo for the possible cool new features I'm missing out on.

My initial research it seems like this is going to be a daunting task that has the potential to completely destroy my library. Do you guys think that it's worth the risk to upgrade? If so, what features do you think make it worth it? Also, what do you guys think would be the best way to perform this... attempt to upgrade the DB and application or just do a clean install and rebuild my library? My library currently has about 250 movies and 200 tv shows, some with multiple seasons, but I have put a lot of TLC into getting everything sync'ing and getting the fanart/posters right.

Thanks in advance.
It's not hard at all.

I upgraded from Eden to Frodo a few weeks ago. I always do a fresh install and import my library.
For some reason Frodo wouldn't scan in my library export so I just started from scratch and that's with 2600 Movies and 330 TV Shows. It took an hour or so to set all my watched content up. Still need to set up movie set posters.

Importing might be working fine now. Make sure you make a complete back up of your userdata folder and if anything goes wrong you can very easily revert back.

Don't you store all your artwork with your media?

Thumbnails are synced across all devices now so symlinks/path substitution isn't needed anymore.

For me HD audio so I can have DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD is a big one.
PVR so I could get rid of my Freeview box.
Skins. Aeon Nox 4.0 is very good looking skin.
Watchlist (now called 'Skin Widgets') keeps track of what you are watching and makes a list of all next episodes. I use it pretty much all of the time.
Library Filtering. You can now select a range of genres, years, actor, etc to really filter your library.

If you use the addon called "PseudoTV", DO NOT UPGRADE! Changes made to the code in XBMC have rendered the EPG in PseudoTV, to be too slow and clunky to use. Not all things have improved.

Mark
(2012-12-29, 16:13)mwkurt Wrote: If you use the addon called "PseudoTV", DO NOT UPGRADE! Changes made to the code in XBMC have rendered the EPG in PseudoTV, to be too slow and clunky to use. Not all things have improved.

Mark

I believe there's already a plan of action for that. Or at least I recall Team XBMC devs and PseudoTV's author talking about it, I think. Several of us on the team are big fans of PseudoTV, too, so I wouldn't worry about any issues being permanent :)
(2012-12-29, 16:13)mwkurt Wrote: If you use the addon called "PseudoTV", DO NOT UPGRADE! Changes made to the code in XBMC have rendered the EPG in PseudoTV, to be too slow and clunky to use. Not all things have improved.

Mark

The script dev needs to change his code to something that will render it faster.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Sounds like it needs to use the addControls() method in the WindowXML class using a list of controls rather than the addControl() for each individual control.
(2012-12-29, 19:10)spoyser Wrote: Sounds like it needs to use the addControls() method in the WindowXML class using a list of controls rather than the addControl() for each individual control.

Bingo
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I can't speak for Jason102 with regards to what he has done or hasn't done. I can however repost what he said regarding this just yesterday:

"Eh, the change they made didnt seem to speed anything up for me. Me extensive use of graphics is outside the normal use for addons, though, so I guess I can understand it not being a high priority for the developers. I am always trying to speed up the damn EPG, though, so maybe I'll stumble upon some great solution. "

As I am not a programmer, I have no idea what needs to be done. Perhaps one of you guys could maybe ask him about it?
Please know, it would be appreciated by a great many XBMC users.

Mark
(2012-12-29, 16:28)Ned Scott Wrote:

Mark

I believe there's already a plan of action for that. Or at least I recall Team XBMC devs and PseudoTV's author talking about it, I think. Several of us on the team are big fans of PseudoTV, too, so I wouldn't worry about any issues being permanent Smile

I hope that you are correct with this Ned. It would be great to get it working as well as it did in Dharma.

Mark
@mwkurt

Mark,

I have posted on the official PseudoTV thread some findings that should speed up the EPG rendering, see here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1280562

Hopefully Jason will implement them when he gets chance.
(2012-12-31, 15:24)spoyser Wrote: @mwkurt

Mark,

I have posted on the official PseudoTV thread some findings that should speed up the EPG rendering, see here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1280562

Hopefully Jason will implement them when he gets chance.

Yes, I saw that. I hope so too.

Mark

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade from Dharma to Frodo.. worth it?0