[solved] windows 7 pc falls asleep while accessing share
I was having some sleep issues with my win 7 PC where all my media is housed. Normally I use advanced wake on LAN to wake my PC prior to streaming media. This all working well. But recently since I fixed the sleeping issue under win 7 my win 7 PC falls asleep while I'm accessing these shares. This was never an issue in the past.

I'm wondering if there is some command (API call) that xbmc normally sends during playback to keep the PC awake that it might not be sending? I'm running xbmcbuntu 12.0 rc2 compiled on Dec 21 from the ppa. If not then its my win PC acting abnormal.
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
Since you're using Advanced WOL, you can take advantage of its option to send continuous WOL packets to your Win 7 PC. It's under the "Advanced settings" tab of the add-on and you can specify the frequency of these periodic wake-up calls.
Well i tried with another windows PC and same problem existed. That said I was able to fix this issue. But now my computer is having sleep issues again. For anyone who might look for a similar answer I'm going to post what I did to solve the problem here. This is probably more for the windows forum, but my xbmc client is linux

First off, I'm not sure why my computer was not sleeping correctly. Windows has a command 'powercfg -requests' to show you what is keeping your pc awake. In my case I found the following
Code:
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE:
None.
So to try and allow my computer to fall asleep i ran the following command to override this
Code:
powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE DRIVER srvnet system

Well turns out that when I overrode this feature, now whenever I stream from XBMC my pc would go to sleep no matter what. In order to remove this override you need to run the following command
Code:
powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE DRIVER srvnet

You can see what overrides you have specified in windows using this command
Code:
powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE

Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
Got this issue as well running Win7 as a server...
Turned out that Win7 has additional hidden settings (Awaymode) per powerscheme that would suspend/hibernate it after a default of 120 sec without user interaction.

Solution was this:

1. Type
Code:
powercfg -L
into a cmd and memorize the GUID of the active powerscheme.

2. Regedit to
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0\DefaultPowerSchemeValues\-->GUID from step 1<--

3. Change the values of
Code:
"AcSettingIndex"=dword:00000078
"DcSettingIndex"=dword:00000078
to hex00 and reboot (hex78 = dec120 = 2 min).

Done.
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Is this only while accessing videos over the network? My pc falls asleep every 25 minutes while watching anything in xbmc. I've fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling but it just starts happening again after a while.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[solved] windows 7 pc falls asleep while accessing share0