How to select a word in the current displayed subtitle?
Hi there,

I wish to write a small plugin which would allow the user to get the definition of a word in a subtitle.

If you're not a native english speaker but you're displaying the english subtitle to learn, you can sometimes miss some words, the idea is to be able to get the definition right away to improve your vocabulary while watching your favorite movies!

So basically, the workflow could be :

1 - User pause the movie
2 - User select a word in the current displayed subtitle sentence (with arrows, selection underlined)
3 - User trigger a function by pressing Enter key for example
4 - The function will get the word and look for a definition (for example in a dict file)
5 - Function display the definition on screen
6 - User know a new word (cool!) resume the play, definition disappear

I can figure all the steps except the 2, "user select a word". Is it currently possible to do that with XBMC ? If yes what should be the function?

Thanks for your insight!
VLCHuh
(2012-12-30, 09:51)amet Wrote: VLCHuh

oops, I meant XBMC of course (impossible with VLC) I fixed the post
there is no way to select the subtitle work on the screen as its sent to xbmc DVD player for rendering, its not a text anymore by the time you see it on the screen.

you could try to display it on the screen by using the addon and xbmcgui module by placing a label field over the playing video, but you woudl have to take care of subtitle timing and display to match the playing video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to select a word in the current displayed subtitle?0