Watch HD/3D movie Over the LAN(NAS)
Hi everyone,
(Using Wifi 802.11N wifi to watch these movies)
So, which android player should I buy if I want to watch HD/3D movies from local area network (via samba from Nas). I want to watch these MKVs (18gb etc..) smoothly. I have now MK 802 III but Xbmc isn't good enough on MK 802 III, it's very laggy...So I looked over the internet and found G Box Midnight. Will it run smoothly or Should i buy GK802? could you recommend me another device where it runs smoothly? ThanksSmile
Pivos XIOS DS is what you want and wireless is probably no good for watching such large files, you will need to use ethernet or USB HDD.
The Pivos wireless is pretty weak. Seconding Starstream - you'll want to hardwire it, or if that isn't an option do what I did and get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZT23ZE

Which paired with a good wireless router (like the companion Asus) will stream just about anything, even 3D. And as a bonus, it connects via ethernet cable to your box, so you don't have to worry about wireless setup/drivers/etc.

Of course, the downside is that thing costs 2/3rds as much as the Pivos itself, and if you have a crappy old single-band N router now you won't get much additional benefit from it - but if hard-wiring is absolutely not an option, nor alternatives like Powerline or Cable (both of which can be a pain to set up and are also unreliable in my experience) AND you absolutely must stream at high bitrates then a wireless setup like that (router+adapter) is the way to go.
Now I have wifi router Mikrotik (802.11n of course, new model) and ethernet 10/100/1000Mbps. If I play 3D movie on my Notebook (connected to wifi) I have no problem the playback is smooth and in sync. So looking for some Android TV which can do the same.. Now the best choice for me is G box Midnight. It's the same as Pivos Xios Ds but has better cpu(M3). G Box has Xbmc too. Any ideas?
I'm actually returning my G-Box Midnight because of this. I have 3D Half-SBS MKV and MP4 movies of various file sizes on my NAS drive, and for the smaller files the wireless isn't a problem, but for the size you're talking about you'll definitely need to use Ethernet. The wireless adapter on the Midnight doesn't connect at the highest speeds with N, and it doesn't do 5GHz either.

But the MAIN problem I had with this box is that I had problems getting the 3D to display properly on my 1080p plasma. I think it has to do with the fact that the box actually runs in 720p, but upconverts the signal to 1080 and/or that you have to tweak the display settings for overscan constantly to make sure the 3D looks right, otherwise you'll see ghostly edges on your 3D videos. Oh, and this happens with both MX player and XBMC w/ hardware decoding, so I'm pretty certain the problem is with the box.

I found out my older Xperia Ion w/ TV dock works and runs better using MX player, so I'm using that in the meantime before I upgrade to a Foxxconn Mini and OpenELEC.
Thanks for your reply.
And What about this? http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Unii-GK80...12807.html
It says "Support Full HD 1080P resolution play, True 1080P HD decoding the perfect hardware solution, Built in WiFi module 802.11b/g/n,max speed 150Mbs"
Pretty much all the little android boxes have weak wireless performance. They all follow the same template: throw in the cheapest chipset they can get. None of them, that I am aware of, are dual-band either.

The forums here and elsewhere are full of people complaining about the performance with high-bitrate media and these little boxes which is why we are all recommending you either A) Hardwire or B) Use a device like the Asus one I posted for better wireless.
I have a good wifi (802.11n with HT below) and a good ethernet(Wired connection 10/100/1000mbps) so I'm looking for a good android device which can handle it.
(2012-12-30, 23:48)Howpathetic Wrote: Thanks for your reply.
And What about this? http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Unii-GK80...12807.html
It says "Support Full HD 1080P resolution play, True 1080P HD decoding the perfect hardware solution, Built in WiFi module 802.11b/g/n,max speed 150Mbs"

I was looking at that one also after I decided the Midnight doesn't cut it. Spec wise you can' t go wrong with this one especially as Android-on-stick devices go. But I personally never heard of that processor or GPU, but some forums say that there is some Linux support for FreeScale... Whether any of that gets ported to Android, I have no idea. I think it's definitely worth a try. But that price point, I think the Ouya is a better deal. If you can wait that long...
(2012-12-31, 00:58)Howpathetic Wrote: I have a good wifi (802.11n with HT below) and a good ethernet(Wired connection 10/100/1000mbps) so I'm looking for a good android device which can handle it.

I'm thinking maybe there's a language difference here, and you're not understanding. What I'm telling you is, there currently are no Android set-top devices with really good Wifi. They all use cheap, lowest-bidder chipsets, and the Android's wireless (software) stack probably also plays a role - remember, this is a new market, and generally speaking Android devices haven't been called upon to stream high-bitrate media until recently, so there hasn't been a lot of tuning in that regard. Throw in the fact that companies in China (for the most part) are slapping together little Arm-powered boxes left and right to see what sticks and here we are.

The way to really solve it is like I said - buy an external repeater (the Asus I linked is generally regarded as the best one) and connect it via Ethernet, or go hard-wire all the way. Trying to find the right little Android box with the "right" wireless is going to frustrate you.

Also be sure the box you get can actually play them, even if you do have a solid network connection. Hardware acceleration support is very spotty right now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Watch HD/3D movie Over the LAN(NAS)0