58yo NOOB having xbmc installing and running problems
Hi XBMC'rs the title tells a little Bit where it is about.
I have a new desktop pc running windows7 64bit. Acer predator G Series3610
Brief specifications:
Processor Intel Core i5 Intern
RAM-geheugen 8 GB
HDD 2 TB
Type videocard AMD Radeon HD 7670 Windows 7 Home Premium

My problem, I had installed xbmc12rc3 ( my son claims rc2) now it Seems to Be rc2 or am I mistaken.
but it ran perfectly, untill we installed add on live tv, which to some time still Ran perfectly, untill xbmc started freezing, and the pc started to run very slowly especially in opening programs, once xbmc was uninstalled the pc ran again and programs opened as usually fast.
What did I try:
Uninst
Running the latest version that is now available 12rc2 over the old one, did not help.
Uninstalling did not work completely, there was still a folder left with Some dll files into.
Reinstalling again, starting up took ages before xbmc would Start up, once it got started up it Froze while trying To do The configuration/setup , waiting very long could help a bit...untill it froze again.

When l was able to uninstall xbmc completely all other programs would start up without a problem.
So did a complete recovery of pc format c etc....to have A clean pc installed some small Programs and ran the setup from xbmc again....same problems appeared.
I tried To read and find solutions here in the forum, but or l must be blind or l am getting To Old for this Stuff, but l want to get and have It working.
Spending already 2 full days at the pc my wife is Not Getting any Happier hahha

Maybe should l try to install 11 and run 12 over it, or just stick with 11...

I'm going to wait before installing xbmc againg, till l have some answers, not willing to start all over again, without knowing what l am doing :-)
One more problem, l tried to read through this complete debug log and stuff, but by all means Have no clue how To do this, my pc skills are minimum lets say a user not a programmer or lT ....
So any help would be great !

Thx for any Support I could get
Frank / belgium

Hi Frank, your age is unimportant unless you're using it as a crutch, get over it.

XBMC at last check is Frodo RC2 (that's the second release candidate, and almost out the door as full release, perhaps in a month or so we'll see the official version) for future support Frodo would be the logical installation. Your system should support XBMC Frodo fairly well.

There is two places XBMC keeps it's files and configuration on a windows system, and it's likely that the issue you have is located in the roaming folder. Delete or rename these files and a fresh (as in brand new) install is possible.

1) C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC
2) C:\Users\Your_Computer_Name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC

The 3rd party add-on "live tv" is not supported by the XBMC devs, and if you're having issues with it, I suggest you post in that forum http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/live-tv-video-addon/ but be aware to avoid confusion there is a PVR addition called Live TV for Frodo for those with TV uners in hardware.

The Debug log is needed and this link will give you more info about it and how to link it to a message http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
Simply put, outputting a debug-log (you need to turn this feature on in settings) and looking at it with notepad (notepad++ is recommended) will give you a blow by blow of what XBMC is doing and where it failed or is failing, so you can see what problems there are...or at minimum ask for help in a useful manner.

My suggestion for now, is a total re-install using the above information by either renaming or deleting the above folders, then use the quick start wiki to guide you through the start-up.

Ok, no crutches needed yet :-) , unless it s to defend myself :-) but it all goes less easier than with the old programms.....age is stepping in unless this is your working area..and you keep up with all the new stuff, know what l mean :-) !?

I will first try to look into that debug sequence, and try to undersand what I have to do, once that is understood, l will reinstall xbmc.
pc has been completely reset, so it is back as l got it from the shop, to my understandig, and no files remining nor a xbmc folder.
Will try to do as said...l found in the setup the debugging button, so with the new install l will do this first. First debug study :-)
Thanks
Frank/Belgium
I would also suggest just reinstalling XBMC without any additional add-ons, especially third-party ones, until you've spent some time becoming familiar with XBMC itself. Start out using it to play local media (music and videos). Doing so will help level-set your expectations in terms of how well XBMC performs on your hardware/operating system. If you subequently experience a degradation in system performance after installing/using a particular add-on, then you'll know where the culprit lies.
Ok here we go, had The pc back In its virgin mode , nothing special, installed just the stuff that comes along with win7 64 bit.
Let me first give you this: the moment l could get into xbmc l pushed the debug button in the configurationscreen, after all the summened problems and actions below, there was nowhere on the pc a debug file to be found....
First actions after startup xbmc and pushing The debug button.

1 after configuration, tried to start up a movie ( hd) > movie stuttered, something l never had before when the first septup of bmc was working

2 rebooted the pc > reboot was slower than before

3 tried To startup windows explorer at first, was Not working, as on the previous attemts and difficultues after installing xbmc, then did right mouseclick and clicked try to find a solution, after a while windows did a reboot, and from then the program icons worked again.

4 tried to startup xbmc again...takes at least 2 minutes to appear on the screen, when It popped up it gave the message unable to start up xbmc then it appeared.

5 I started the same movie again, again stutter the pointer was when l moved It jumping a bit uncontrolled
The program frose when l wanted to go for subtitles......starting xbmc up again after 2 or 3 minutes by itself.....first page with the programs banner works fine, tried movie one more time....stuttering freezes etc...

6 NO LOGFILES TO BE FOUND

Help :-)
Frank
Your log files are in 2) C:\Users\Your_Computer_Name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC/xbmc.log

The Debug log is needed and this link will give you more info about it and how to link it to a message http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708

Hi Pat,
No such files existing....l looked all over and tried all the searchlinks you and the other pages where they explain you where to look, unfortunatly...no such files found on this computer...can they be Hidden files?
Frank
Ok l am back to work....before going to bed, found the logfile....am now doing some stuff where l know the freezes com...will load the file asap thx again
Frank
Stupid me, the movie that stuttered was in sound 2.0 and l had it standing otherwise...
Freezing still Happens when l click for subs....and it akes very long before they pop up. ( l know the movie stops playing, but it takes soooo long before the subs popping up, it looks like xbmc slows itself down and get stuck in some parts,
If for example l click file in the movies section, then it freezes for a while, after that into the files file it runs normally...

But l will send In the logs...just trying to collect as much info as l can but pretty tired now :-) :-) :-) :-)
ok here I go, hope this works and helps? http://pastebin.com/Wdx320j3 the next one is just starting up nothing else.. : http://pastebin.com/V1j2CMhL
this was the last debug I made, where I encountered some problems.
Most of the time the program freezes for some time if I want to use the subtitles so will look into that maybe tomorrow...anyway will try to follow up^, It is 1.00 am and am on this machine since 10am...so I think I deserved some sleep..
nighty night guys and thx for helping this noob.. ,;:=))

Frank
Anybody? Thx
Frank
Can you refer back to message 2 and rename or delete your XBMC install.... clearly you still have the old install with issues and add-ons operational.

There is two places XBMC keeps it's files and configuration on a windows system, and it's likely that the issue you have is located in the roaming folder. Delete or rename these files and a fresh (as in brand new) install is possible.

With FRESH install, no add-ons, follow the quick start wiki and add a few videos as your source... play them, if they play well.. rebuild from this. If not leave a debug-log on pastebin.com and link it to a message here. In the file path the name "Your_Computer_Name" is supposed to be supplanted by your admin name in the path.
Hi Pat K.

I will do this as soon as I can, now we are getting ready for our old/year dinner.
pretty strange though, I have format all my hardrives, made a complete new install of windows, and then played the new Frodo 12 RC on it...how on earth could there be still old files in it?
not that I doubt your knowledge, but is was a fresh install of xbmc with nothing on the hard drive...

thx for your time Happy New year !!! getting to the shower now ,;:=))

will try to sneek in a couple of times ,;:=))
Frank
Hi Frank,

a few thoughts:
  • after you reinstalled your pc, did you install the drivers that probably Acer shipped the pc with, or did you download and install the required drivers by hand (better the latter from my experience)?
  • did you take a look inside your device manager whether there is hardware that either needs drivers or - especially concerning chipset and gfx - is using generic Microsoft drivers?

As XBMC doesn't alter anything concerning your system (esp. drivers) itself, I would suggest at first glance that there are driver problems, because as soon as XBMC is executed, it REALLY USES your hardware. Well, it tries to, at least...

What I also saw in your logs was that you are using a 20121219-build - maybe you try one of the latest from here as they tend to be less buggy as team XBMC keeps marching toward release Smile

Good luck and a happy new year, hope you'll be in prime condition tomorrow to keep it rolling Big Grin

Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
(2012-12-31, 17:51)PatK Wrote: Can you refer back to message 2 and rename or delete your XBMC install.... clearly you still have the old install with issues and add-ons operational.

With FRESH install, no add-ons, follow the quick start wiki and add a few videos as your source... play them, if they play well.. rebuild from this. If not leave a debug-log on pastebin.com and link it to a message here. In the file path the name "Your_Computer_Name" is supposed to be supplanted by your admin name in the path.

Hi PatK, first Happy New Year!
I cannot believe I had the Old install, as I have formatted the complete C disk and did a complete new Windows setup with the Acer recovery disks I made when I got the new PC in.
But I will do it if...I can get some idea of what FRY7 means, maybe it is something I will have to look in first.
Thx
Frank
(2012-12-31, 18:33)Fry7 Wrote: Hi Frank,

a few thoughts:
  • after you reinstalled your pc, did you install the drivers that probably Acer shipped the pc with, or did you download and install the required drivers by hand (better the latter from my experience)?
  • did you take a look inside your device manager whether there is hardware that either needs drivers or - especially concerning chipset and gfx - is using generic Microsoft drivers?

As XBMC doesn't alter anything concerning your system (esp. drivers) itself, I would suggest at first glance that there are driver problems, because as soon as XBMC is executed, it REALLY USES your hardware. Well, it tries to, at least...

What I also saw in your logs was that you are using a 20121219-build - maybe you try one of the latest from here as they tend to be less buggy as team XBMC keeps marching toward release Smile

Good luck and a happy new year, hope you'll be in prime condition tomorrow to keep it rolling Big Grin

Hallo Fry7, also to you a Happy New Year, Beste Wünschen aus Antwerpen!Wink

let me try to give you an answer to your questions:

after you reinstalled your pc, did you install the drivers that probably Acer shipped the pc with, or did you download and install the required drivers by hand (better the latter from my experience)?

1-, when I got the Acer pc in after first startup , I made the recovery disks, so I have no idea wheter this includes the drivers, maybe it could beit that did not have the latest drivers as I do not remember anymore if the pc was connected to the internet and already updated its new updates ( sorry slipped my mind), but as my knowledge does'nt go that far...it is difficult for me to find out.

2- I went into the device manager and found at "portable devices" ( litterally translated out of dutch) that all of the items had yellow eclamation marks.
One thing I have to tell you and is weird.

Before at the first startup of the pc it showed all the cards like SD card slot, and other formats of cards it can carry in the computer folder, now they do not show up anymore...could I have a USB controller problem? if so what can I do about it.
I have had problems before with removing XBMC, if I used the uninstall it would still keep some files on the pc, I have had a .dll problem then with installing it again, it popped upo like 4 times telling me something about #.dll and I pushed the ignore button.
But this was all before I did the complete reset of the PC, although the portable devices is actual.

Vielleicht können wir mall einen eingang geben zu dir , das du auf meinen rechener zugreifen kann, ich lass dich meinen email adres in einen PM

Thanks and again thanks to all of you helping me trying solving my problem

Frank

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
58yo NOOB having xbmc installing and running problems1