Buffering on 1080P TV Recordings
When watching 1080P recorded TV content though TVH client in Kodi, I get buffering (count to 100 in center of screen) after I 30-skip a commercial. Its only a few seconds but it annoys me. Client is hardwired 100Mb, dual proc 8 GB of RAM laptop. 720p recorded tv is instant for 30-second skip. Heres what Ive tried:

1. Streamed recordings from server with content on SSDs...still buffers for a few seconds after skipping forward.
2. Play recordiings instead of through TVH Kodi Client, play through NFS share...buffering is a half second and much better. But metadata doesnt work well for CBS News shows.

When I play recordings through TVHClient on my Android phone and BSPlayer, skipping forward on 1080p recordings is instant.

Client
I have a 1Gb backbone with 100Mb client, Dual Proc, 8GB of RAM. basically idle.
Server
TVheadend as a ESXi VM, 3 Core, 16GB of RAM, dual NIC 1Gb. very low utilization. Locally stored or NFS mounts - doesnt matter same buffering.

TVHeadend and Kodi is perfect except for this annoyance. Here are questions:

1. Is there a streaming profile in TVheadend that could fix it for Kodi? Tried Matroska instead of TS and no fix.
2. Should I just use NFS and skip HTSP protocol for watching 1080p recordings?
3. Or am I too easily annoyed by 3 second buffering that I should relax and have more grattitude for life?

Any help would be great,

Chad
Modify your advancedsettings.xml with a readfactor of 8 or higher, and possibly increase your memorysize, as well.
Thanks for the idea. I will try that and reply back.
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache

I replicated the settings just like the link above. Still buffering for a few seconds. Any other ideas?
Replicated how? Which did you modify? That article gives hints and several different types of settings, all of which are better suited for different scenarios.
<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
<readfactor>20</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings

Above is my advancedsettings. Let me know your thoughts.
Then perhaps a debug log is in order. Also, please post the relevant version information: Kodi, pvr.hts, Tvheadend. Current versions are 17.4, 3.4.28, 4.2.3, respectively. If you are running newer/development versions, have you checked the proper bug trackers and issues; if you aren't running current versions, upgrade first.
I was on all updated versions. I decided to quit on the Intel graphics on the client. I bought a Mii box running Android TV. Great device, runs Kodi and TVh without any issues. Great experience and almost no buffering.. Thanks again for responding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering on 1080P TV Recordings0