• 7(current)
Android Tronsmart Prometheus AML8726MX Dual Core FTW!
Agreed sounds like shoddy business practice. Am looking for a low cost xbmc device but nothing convincing me to buy this one. Like the sound of the Archos TV connect but nothing solid in terms of xbmc comptibility on that front either.

Pivos cost to UK customer is a f*&&$$£ con, how they can charge $115 in the USA and then charge £125 (approx $190) in UK is a complete myth to me, and I for one won't be parting with my hard earned cash for this blatant p1ss take. It'd probably be cheaper to buy from Amazon USA and pay the shipping chrage rather than purchase from the official UK xios re-seller. And anyone who's going to reply telling me about taxes, well asnwer me this, why is it that only the xios seems to have such a massive difference, any other product that's being sold both in US and eurpoe is only around 15% more expensive over here, unlike the xios which seems to have special pricing applied to it, being some 61% more expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rip off.
and thats the sad part, loosing money,,,, shame on them!!!
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_di...istributor

Take note at the last sentence;
Quote:They usually also provide a range of services (such as product information, estimates, technical support, after-sales services, credit) to their customers.

So;
- Tax (VAT)
- Tax (Import)
- Mark-up to
a) EU law says you can return the product within 7 days, without reason. Those boxes usually can not be sold anymore as "new"
b) EU law forces the requirement to provide after sales support, which require people / wages to be full filled
c) EU law forces that factory warranty is based on life time expectation. One year warranty is by law NOT enough. If boxes break within 1-3 year, people can claim that it needs to be repaired / replaced.
d) If you put in in the socket and it blows up your TV, who is going to get sue/claimed for it? Indeed, as EU webshop you need quite some insurances.
e) Some profit. They are not doing it for free

Believe me, as an EU company running a EU webshop, according EU law. They NEED to add 40-60% to make up for the above, to gain a profit margin of 5-15%
(2013-03-04, 15:25)j1nx Wrote: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_di...istributor

Take note at the last sentence;
Quote:They usually also provide a range of services (such as product information, estimates, technical support, after-sales services, credit) to their customers.

So;
- Tax (VAT)
- Tax (Import)
- Mark-up to
a) EU law says you can return the product within 7 days, without reason. Those boxes usually can not be sold anymore as "new"
b) EU law forces the requirement to provide after sales support, which require people / wages to be full filled
c) EU law forces that factory warranty is based on life time expectation. One year warranty is by law NOT enough. If boxes break within 1-3 year, people can claim that it needs to be repaired / replaced.
d) If you put in in the socket and it blows up your TV, who is going to get sue/claimed for it? Indeed, as EU webshop you need quite some insurances.
e) Some profit. They are not doing it for free

Believe me, as an EU company running a EU webshop, according EU law. They NEED to add 40-60% to make up for the above, to gain a profit margin of 5-15%

So why are you recommending folk buy this http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-google-tv-pl...=affiliate with a direct click thru from your website? A tad hypocritical don't you think.

That's absolute bullcrap about import duties, you know all well as I do the the chap in the UK is selling the Mygica 510b for £65, he has paid all the correct import duties pertinent to getting large quantities into the UK, he offers product support, runs a forum for his customers (so has bandwidth cost etc) and still manages to turn a profit.

Pivos are just gouging.
(2013-03-04, 18:47)bluepeter Wrote: So why are you recommending folk buy this http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-google-tv-pl...=affiliate with a direct click thru from your website? A tad hypocritical don't you think.

That's absolute bullcrap about import duties, you know all well as I do the the chap in the UK is selling the Mygica 510b for £65, he has paid all the correct import duties pertinent to getting large quantities into the UK, he offers product support, runs a forum for his customers (so has bandwidth cost etc) and still manages to turn a profit.

Pivos are just gouging.

@bluepeter

That looks quite brilliant, quite a bargain if they are indeed giving free shipping to UK. It also has AV out, useful for older TVs (useful when taking the unit to hotels etc).
One thing I can't tell, does it have wifi? And do you have the unit for yourself, any chance of uploading a video on youtube so we can see it in action?
Alternatively perheps there is a thread somewhere in the forum you can point me to?
(2013-03-04, 18:47)bluepeter Wrote: So why are you recommending folk buy this http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-google-tv-pl...=affiliate with a direct click thru from your website? A tad hypocritical don't you think.

Pivos are just gouging.

The question was why Pivos in the EU has it current price as it is now. That has nothing todo with me or what I did choose to do. But actually the above reasons are the exact reasons why I coose to use an affiliate system. I wish I had the financial body or the balls to do what Pivos is doing.

As a small startup I have done my research. Above are facts. I even forgot to mention that Pivos is rebranding, and as Pivos is an US company the also have to pay royalties to the MPAA for each box. That is also something that is not in the vocabulary of the Chinese.

So in short; Pivos is a rebranded 510b == Royalties added.
Pivos is developing == costs to be added
EU Pivos is redistributing (NOT reselling, like GBox ot others) == extra costs

But this discussion has been touched before. I know my facts, apparently you know yours. Let's agree to disagree.

@ED-209,
It is the chinese version of the f16ref MBX reference platform, packed in a box. It is being sold under many names and many different prices (As high as $149,-). If you seek more info, the best searching term to use either on this forum or google would be; "gbox midnight"
(2013-03-04, 19:55)ED-209 Wrote:

Pivos are just gouging.

@bluepeter

That looks quite brilliant, quite a bargain if they are indeed giving free shipping to UK. It also has AV out, useful for older TVs (useful when taking the unit to hotels etc).
One thing I can't tell, does it have wifi? And do you have the unit for yourself, any chance of uploading a video on youtube so we can see it in action?
Alternatively perheps there is a thread somewhere in the forum you can point me to?

Click the link @ the bottom of J1xn post - hackable gadgets - it will tell you all you need to knowWink
hi folks

I think I'm going to order the unit from DX site, it looks like everything I need. Does anyone know about the following:

- Is the wifi chip any good?
- With regards to the A/V out 3.5mm jack, is this for component video output (YPbPr) or is it composite video + L/R audio?
ED-209, i think you need to re-read whats been said on the prometheus box,
you'll save $99 if u do.
eskro, I don't want to purchase the prometheus box, it's this one that I'm thinking of getting:

http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-google-tv-pl...=affiliate
looks like a gbox midnight
The company that have created this box have no shoddy business tactics,
They are a manufacture that have released a product, they are probably a relatively small company,
But unlike most manufactures of android smart boxes, they are trying to fix problems with the box they have released,
they are learning by mistakes, and doing what they can to rectify the mistakes,
Is this not a good thing from a Chinese manufacture, because from my own experience nearly every other Chinese manufacture do not offer much if not any support,
Also every manufacture do release a lot of motherboard revisions, Especially pc motherboards, and that is big companies like Asus, Gigabyte ect...
The manufacture are on this board reading and replying to posts, (apple don't even do that)
So i am pretty sure they will fix the problems which is more then most android tv box manufactures
Also i hear a lot about Pivos, Pivos M3 boxes are slow and usless for streaming 1080 MKV movies, they do stream it smooth for a few seconds, then stutter then smooth, then stutter, This can't be fixed because it uses 100% cpu usage to play them, (Hence the Linux release version that is not much better)
The only people happy with them are people that want to watch streams such as 1channel and icefilms, which any box will play without hardware encoding and most boxes will play with the xbmc XAF version with hardware encoding,
There is only 3 fixes i can see off with the new revision boxes so far, and that is playing smb network files and playing films full screen without taskbar, plus the DTS problems (but that is an official xbmc problem rather then unit problem) and i am sure these will be fixed soon, remember the box has only been on the market for a very short time,
So i still think i am right in thinking this is the box to buy once the fixes have been made,
Any other bugs you can see, let them know and they will fix it that, i am sure about,
I have spoken to the company directly as well as other companies that manufacture m6 boxes and this company do seem more intent to supply a good reliable unit more so then the other companies that i have spoken too, I hope i am right
time will tell, but as of today i am quite enthusiatic about the future of their unit's, so don't write them off just yet
(2013-03-06, 06:13)psxwizz Wrote: unlike most manufactures of android smart boxes, they are trying to fix problems with the box they have released

LoL, thats funny, the leat they could do is verify if their box overheats and they didn't before selling to mass public.

oh right, the only fix for that is save up another $99 and buy the 2nd gen.

Shame on them and again, to all of you in here thinking to buy this box,

DO NOT BUY THIS ANDROID DEVICE!!!
They did not realise about the overheating,
Return your unit where you bought it from for a refund or replacement
Pretty much what you would do with any seller that you bought a unit from that has a design fault
How many massive companies have produced an item that has a design fault, Most of them,
So stop complaining it's just one of those things
Your lucky there is after sales support, Unlike most
Or go buy a Pivos then you can cry on their board lol
this unit will be put to sell on craig.

a company that doesnt test their stuff before selling it pretty much does it for me,

its my money and dont like loosing it!

shame on them for not saying THIS BOX OVERHEATS AND YOU CANT PLAY GAMES!!

not to mention the GPL violation!!!
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tronsmart Prometheus AML8726MX Dual Core FTW!0