Linux N00B question about hardware configurations and the library
Question 
First let me start by saying hi to everyone here on the forum as this is my first post and my first time diving into xbmc. i have a totally n0ob question about hardware configurations pertaining to the library and data storage. i have recently bought and half way put together a HTPC. The HTPC has 1X 120gb ssd for the OS on which i plan to load XBMCbuntu, then 5X 2tb hdd's (10 tb of storage total) that i plan on storing my movie, music , and tv show collection. My questions is...... Among the 5 two TB hdd's i do not want to use a raid configuration seeing as i have enough sata slots on the mobo to plug them all in individually, i do not want them striped and do not want them mirrored as i have a 12TB array for NAS redundant storage that i will be backing up all the files on every time a add a new movie. the question is, will having individual drive letters and separate drives, i.e. drives L,M,N,O,P, and Q, mess up the way the library will work with XBMC or can XBMC read from multiple locations and know where things are stored? i dont have the HTPC fully assembled and configured yet as i wanted to know before i went any further if the individual drives will be an issue for the software. I am getting quite overwhelmed with anticipation to get this thing set up as i just spent over $2,000 on the components for the machine and would like to get this thing set up and fired up over the next two days as i am off work, so any input, answers, feedback, or pointing me in the right direction would be VERY MUCH appreciated. I'm like a kid in a candy store who has been told he cant even look at the candy. and i want to get this thing running in the worst way.

Thanks in advance for anyone who gets me set straight.
No problem at all. Just add multiple sources and for each source tell xbmc if it is movies, tvshows or something else, and if it needs to be scraped.

You could easily test this by adding a few seperate folders as seperate sources under a windows version of xbmc.
I would still highly recommend AT LEAST a JBOD solution for both storage solutions.

Mapping and managing space on all those separate drives must surely be a huge PITA...one conjoined volume would make your life MUCH easier...
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
N00B question about hardware configurations and the library0