Ripping Music
Hiya,

I've recently been taught the backing up lesson having lost data on a drive which wasn't back up!! Grrr.

On the positive side it gives me an opportunity to re-rip everything (previously hadn't taken much notice of ripping formats).

I've been using Make MKV for DVD's / Blu Ray ripping to .mkv for the container and then h.264 for video (where options are given otherwise most normal DVD's are in MPEG 2) and then DTS-HD for audio (or DD 5.1 for DVD's).

A couple of questions I have:

- Freesat HD seems to record video in h.264 but most audio is in 2.0 - is that correct or do I have to change some settings (using mediaportal as back-end)?

- Not all DVD's are in DTS-HD some are Tru-HD / DTS 5.1 or usually DD 5.1. Is there an order preference I should be using?

Finally about to move onto CD's - any preferences here? Should I be looking at lossless or lossy and if the latter, what bit-rate (320Kbps I understand is usually the preferred). Also what file format?

Any thoughts?

Quote:- Not all DVD's are in DTS-HD some are Tru-HD / DTS 5.1 or usually DD 5.1.

Which "DVD" has HD-Audio content?

DVD´s are ALWAYS in DTS or DD, never in DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD. Only a BluRay have HD-Audio Content

If there is a DTS and a DD track on the DVD, I preferred DTS. If you´re are able to play HD-Audio on your XBMC (your Amp will show this) I would prefere the HD-Audio track from the bluray. If you´re not able to, it doesn´t matter if you take the DTS HDMA track or downconvert it to DTS because XBMC 11 downconverts it for itself to the core track. It´s only a question of drive space. A DTS HDMA (or a Dolby TrueHD) track will use more disk space than the core tracks (DTS or DD).

Cheers
For CD´s i would prefere FLAC if it´s possible. I don´t have any experience with that, but I read about, that it is the best way to save the quality of the CD
Thanks, yes sorry I wasn't clear.

Blu-ray yes, have been going for DTS-HD (I assume this is preferred over Dolby TrueHD where an option).

Normal DVD's have been preferring DTS 5.1 over DD 5.1 (where this is an option).

Thanks
Not sure why HD channels are recording audio in 2 channels (either MPEG or AC-3). Surely this should be 5.1?

Also, any thoughts on ripping audio?

Thanks,

So looks like the live 5.1 problem I've had is due to the audio settings - I initially had passthrough devide as Wasabi (with all options e.g. AC3, DTS, True HD checked) but have now changed to direct sound and seems to be working fine.

Just have the question on ripping CD's if anyone has any thoughts?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ripping Music0