Which Guide to use for ATV1 Linux XBMC Install
Hi All. Computer geek in Denver, CO looking for some clarification on which set of instructions to use...

I'm looking to go from an old version of xbmc running on ios on ATV1... TO: xbmc running on linux (Crystalbuntu)

I found the below guides, which seem like they may be incomplete (especially the openelec part).

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...)#OpenELEC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Apple_TV_1

Also, I didn't find instructions on how to (or if I should bother) backing up the current install.

I understand that the components are:

1) "you will want to make sure that your ATV1 has been updated to the original ATV OS 3.0.2 at least once in order to flash the HDMI controller firmware. You also want to change the original ATV OS settings to "RGB High" in the AV settings"

2) install Crystalbuntu

3) do something pertaining to OpenELEC, which I understand is a portable linux install. I'm not clear if this is only if I want openelec instead of CrystalBuntu?

I am a pretty seasoned computer geek with experience with several UNIX distros. I just want to make sure I have a good set of instructions because I don't want to tear my hair out on this install. I have a ton of other geeky projects right now and want to avoid accruing another time consuming one.

I am hoping this post also serves as constructive feedback on the existing wiki articles, and perhaps food for updating them. Thank you so much for your help!!

-GG
Crystalbuntu is one option and OpenELEC is another. There's a bunch of Crystalbuntu instructions on that page, rather than just giving a link to their website, because I wanted to throw up some instructions for installing it from a Mac computer. The only thing that is actually incomplete right now is the OpenELEC part, since it does seem to have many more steps than Crystalbuntu but isn't properly explained. At one point someone volunteered to update the OpenELEC parts, but I don't know what happened with that. For now I would just use the Crystalbuntu instructions. That's what I've used on two of my ATV1s and I love it.

The second link is more for a manual installation of linux on the ATV1, if you really want to tinker with it.

As for backing up, I think there are some utilities out there to do this, but I just popped the hard drive out and made an image of the drive on another computer. I wouldn't worry too much about that, though, because it's still very easy to restore it to a "factory install" with the original OS, even without a backup. I think it's even going to be an option from the GUI in Crystalbuntu in the future.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Guide to use for ATV1 Linux XBMC Install0