Streaming OTA HD Content - Unwatchable
I have the latest RC of Frodo installed on a RPi, and we're connected with my main machine, which is a Windows 7 XBMC/MediaPortal setup. I have the MPEG-2 license installed.

Currently, the MP client setup within Raspbmc is using ffmpeg, because I saw a thread that said TSReader is for Windows installations only. I could not get TSReader working anyway.

Everything plays wonderfully on the RPi, except for HD over the air content. SD content plays flawlessly (thanks to the MPEG-2 license), but HD content can barely capture a picture, much less the video. Everything is hooked up correctly - am I missing something? Is there a setting I can tweak? The RPi plays all our HD MKVs from the same machine perfectly fine, it's just stuck on the over the air HD stuff.

Thanks in advance! Let me know if I can provide more info!
Not sure what you mean by OTA, what we need is for you to run mediainfo on one of the files and post back the output.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I believe he's talking about live TV/PVR.
(2013-01-01, 06:45)Ned Scott Wrote: I believe he's talking about live TV/PVR.
mediainfo on a sample file, as well as the xbmc log are pretty essential.

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah, "OTA" stands for "over the air".

There are no "sample files" in this case, because it has nothing to do with file playback, it has to do with live TV playback. I can turn on the XBMC logging, but I have no idea how to access it to post it. Can somebody help me out there? I tried turning it on, then taking the card out and trying to plug the card into a different computer, but the log isn't in there. I imagine there's a special way to do it for the RPi...
Just use the debug log uploader add-on mentioned on this page: debug log (wiki)
(2013-01-01, 16:21)tmeitner Wrote: Yeah, "OTA" stands for "over the air".

There are no "sample files" in this case, because it has nothing to do with file playback, it has to do with live TV playback. I can turn on the XBMC logging, but I have no idea how to access it to post it. Can somebody help me out there? I tried turning it on, then taking the card out and trying to plug the card into a different computer, but the log isn't in there. I imagine there's a special way to do it for the RPi...
I aassume this live TV is coming frm media portal? Does it not keep the live tv stream? If not, how do you pause or rewind livetv?

how about files that media portal haas recorded that you then play back with xbmc? do they work OK? what does mediainfo tell you about them?

(2013-01-01, 18:39)Ned Scott Wrote: Just use the debug log uploader add-on mentioned on this page: debug log (wiki)

All right, I'll take a look at that tonight and see if I can get that up. I'll post back if/when I can get the log into Pastebin for review. Thanks!

(2013-01-01, 22:17)nickr Wrote:
(2013-01-01, 16:21)tmeitner Wrote: Yeah, "OTA" stands for "over the air".

I aassume this live TV is coming frm media portal? Does it not keep the live tv stream? If not, how do you pause or rewind livetv?

how about files that media portal haas recorded that you then play back with xbmc? do they work OK? what does mediainfo tell you about them?

LiveTV is coming from MediaPortal off of my Windows 7 machine, which works just fine on the W7 machine. The HD content does not stream at all on the RPi.

I haven't tested any recordings at the moment because I don't have any. I could, but I don't really see the point. It's playing everything that I throw at it except for live HD streaming. Even the SD streaming is working fine. And I don't know what you mean by "what does mediainfo tell you about them".

Thanks!
Doesn't mediaportal keep the livestream on disk, even for a short time? If so sun meidainfo and see what it tells you about the file.

Try recording an HD file in mediaportal and playing that. See if it is different to live streaming.

I am simply asking you for info so this can be debugged.
(2013-01-03, 04:05)nickr Wrote: Doesn't mediaportal keep the livestream on disk, even for a short time? If so sun meidainfo and see what it tells you about the file.

Try recording an HD file in mediaportal and playing that. See if it is different to live streaming.

I am simply asking you for info so this can be debugged.

I get what you're asking and why you're asking it, but I have no idea how to "sun mediainfo". I'm asking for instructions on how to do what you're requesting (which I'm guessing isn't necessary at this point because the relevant info is below).

Regardless, here's where I'm at:

- Recorded a 30-second clip in HD on the Win7 machine and played it back flawlessly on the RPi. No need to dive any further in there.
- Thanks to Ned Scott, I uploaded the logfile here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=25608

The log file should basically just have the stuff in from the last few minutes - turning on debugging, trying to play an HD stream, and turning off debugging. So if anybody can take a glance in there and let me know what's going on, that would be fantastic! I see a few errors in the logfile, I just can't decipher them.

Thanks again everybody!
sorry about the typing, it was Run mediainfo, not Sun mediainfo I meant. mediainfo is a program that inspects a media file and gives info about the codecs, containers etc. Very useful diagnostic tool for troublesome files Smile

Can you tell us roughtly where in the 1500 odd lines you tried to watch TV?

There are lots of this (eg line 750):

20:52:06 T:2811180096 ERROR: ffmpeg[A78F3440]: [rtsp] ignoring previously allocated packet on stream 0

Hard to track down why though. Anyone else help with this log?
If you look at the timestamp, the logfile is only 12 minutes long. As stated before, I turned debugging on, attempted to watch a stream, stopped the attempt, and turned it off. Might be best served to start from the bottom and work your way up. Either way, my knowledge of reading logfiles is pretty limited.

Anybody else's help would be appreciated!
Can anybody take a look at that log file and give me some insight as to what's going on?
Hmm. Well, I installed Frodo on my Windows 7 netbook to see if it would have the same issue and it does. So my guess at this point is a network issue that's not pumping the HD content to other computers fast enough. I'm going to play around with some things and see if I can get it to work. But I'm guessing that it's not a RPi issue after all...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming OTA HD Content - Unwatchable0