Win Upgrading from Pre-Alpha to RC2
Hello

I have been using the Alpha 4 Pre-Frodo snapshot build on my main production environment or my actual home theater machine instead of a sandbox setup. I have now build my complete library of around 2000+ movies all correctly imported and scraped from the internet, with all fanart extras and additional information. I did setup this pre-frodo with my desired configuration (youtube login, add-ons, subtitle downloads, music lyrics addon and so on). I have the following queries.

1. Can i simply upgrade the existing Alpha build by installing the RC2 (Frodo) over it or do I uninstall the current build completely , save the userdata folder and do a fresh installation of Frodo RC-2 and then restore the userdata folder back. I want to upgrade from Alpha -> RC1/2 -> Final Version, but dont want to lose the current library which is scraped completely to avoid the hassle of checking library again (yeah i know i can do import/export but that has usually not been very successful with me with a lot of fanart supposedly exported from a prior build does not show up properly in the newer build) .

2. Also have installed the android version of XBMC. Is it possible that Android XBMC can use a shared movie library database from my Home Theatre PC instead of re-adding all the movie paths and scraping them again locally in Android to create a duplicate huge library. (Almost a similar scenario when I may have more than one machine running XBMC frontend, but there is only one common shared updated database for keeping everything in sync).

3. What I assume is that If point no.2 is possible, it might need a SQL version of XBMC database. At the moment I am using the native XBMC (non-SQL) database in the userdata folder. So is there a way to correctly convert and ensure integrity (of background, fanarts, movie posters/thumbs) of a native XBMC database to SQL database for shared access.

Thanks for your replies.
There's a new wiki...
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...odo%29_FAQ

I never tried going from an Alpha Frodo to Frodo RC2, so take the next information with a grain of salt, but in the main it should work for all updates. Off hand I'd say just install the latest right over top, there shouldn't be issues.

1) rename your existing XBMC as XBMC-Alpha (nothing is going to happen to it now)
2) If you're using a windows build; copy the roaming XBMC to somewhere safe as roaming_XBMC-Alpha, or at least your user files.
3) Install the latest... give it a bit of time to scan in your contents. All should be dandy, the add-ons might need updating.

4)if it didn't work out.... delete your user data/roaming/XBMC and place back the original using the correct name.
5) delete the program XBMC and rename the XBMC-Alpha back to XBMC, everything should be as it was.

Your questions about android are best answered by someone using it. But safe to say that each invocation XBMC uses it's own internal library, and there is scripts to sync between libraries or path substitution.

Don't use RC2 but latest nightly version
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-01-01, 21:18)Martijn Wrote: Don't use RC2 but latest nightly version

Well why do you recommend switching to another nightly...(which supposedly are something similar to Alpha release I have) instead of RC2. Now RC3 is also out but I can see mixed comments about updating to it from any alpha build. Is there is a sure way to go down the upgrade path without losing the library and links.

To make it rather clean , i can also remove the old alpha build and have clean install of RC2/RC3, but in that case would simply restoring my old (Alpha based) userdata folder restore the library and other settings or do I have go another way to make my old library remain and work intact.

Thanks for your replies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading from Pre-Alpha to RC20