New multi-purpose A10 tank killer. Meet the WartHog
With your OS/apps on the 64GB SSD and media on the Green drive(s), the rotational speed of the drive won't effect your performance, 5400 vs 7200. If the OS/apps were on the 5400 that'd be a different story. It's a very common practice to store media on 5400RPM drives.
(2013-01-02, 19:22)Dougie Fresh Wrote: P.S. I remember watching Air Force Now films in ROTC on the A-10. I love that gun in front Smile. It made me feel safe against the Ruskies legions of tanks Smile

Actually it runs approximately 2/3 of the way up the fuselage.

The plane is built around the cannon and during an ingress the cannon will actually slow th plane it has that much recoil.

GAU-8 Avenger
30mm, 7 barrel gatling configuration capable of firing 4200 rounds per minute...

Just checked, recoil on the cannon is 45 kN.(10,000 pounds force)

Sorry, I just hate when people refer to it as a nose cannon Wink
Nice specs Gort! I just built something very similar myself (see my signature). Mine is a HTPC/Steam box. Only problem I have now it's getting the CIR remote receiver working.
how are you planning to control your box?
My HTPC A8-5400k APU, Asrock FM2A75-PRO4-M, 4GB Kingston HyperX, Samsung 830 64GB SSD, 4TB HDD Storage, Hauppage HVR-2200 Tuner, Silverstone LC-16M Case.
(2013-01-03, 21:49)Dougie Fresh Wrote: With your OS/apps on the 64GB SSD and media on the Green drive(s), the rotational speed of the drive won't effect your performance, 5400 vs 7200. If the OS/apps were on the 5400 that'd be a different story. It's a very common practice to store media on 5400RPM drives.

Again Dougie,....you are the voice of experience! Thanks for the education. Always appreciate it.

(2013-01-04, 08:09)membreya Wrote:
(2013-01-02, 19:22)Dougie Fresh Wrote: P.S. I remember watching Air Force Now films in ROTC on the A-10. I love that gun in front Smile. It made me feel safe against the Ruskies legions of tanks Smile

The plane is built around the cannon and during an ingress the cannon will actually slow th plane it has that much recoil.

GAU-8 Avenger
30mm, 7 barrel gatling configuration capable of firing 4200 rounds per minute...

I could talk about this stuff all day long.
Don't even get me started on World War 2 tanks,..and specifically the German tanks. Big Grin

(2013-01-04, 12:12)nimrod77 Wrote: Nice specs Gort! I just built something very similar myself (see my signature). Mine is a HTPC/Steam box. Only problem I have now it's getting the CIR remote receiver working.
how are you planning to control your box?

I haven't gotten that far in my thought process. Confused
I just checked and most of the parts are being delivered today! Woohoo!
Unfortunately, the MOBO won't come until Wednesday.
At least I can install the PSU and the DVD drive.

Initially, I'll just use a USB keyboard and mouse,...but decide on the final solution once I get some more "mad money".
With my other HTPC box,...I just put it to sleep,...and a touch of the wireless keyboard wakes it up.

(2013-01-04, 08:09)membreya Wrote:

GAU-8 Avenger

Watching these films in JROTC guaranteed my career was going to have nothing to do with being inside a tank.
(2013-01-03, 15:33)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: .................Getting harder to justify another PC to my wife. Hahaha

I have given up on that, I now have 11 PC's which includes 1 desktop, 1 desktop/HTPC, 6 laptops and 3 dedicated HTPC's. Confused

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2013-01-04, 17:56)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2013-01-03, 15:33)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: .................Getting harder to justify another PC to my wife. Hahaha

I have given up on that, I now have 11 PC's which includes 1 desktop, 1 desktop/HTPC, 6 laptops and 3 dedicated HTPC's. Confused

David

You sir, are a bad influence,..and I should turn away and stop drooling immediately. Rofl
Well,..I have all of the parts, except the MOBO,..that's coming tomorrow.
Dang it! I'm working from home today,...why couldn't it come a day early.

My plan is to assemble the parts as I take pictures (or possibly a video).
Since I still would like to order a SSD,...I'll temporarily install Windows 7 Ultimate in trial mode.
That gives me one month of use,..then I can rearm another 4 times,..for another 4 months of use.
Should have the money together by then. Plus it'll give me a chance to figure out what else I might be missing.

Of and I found a video on Hyperspin and Hyperpin,....wow,....
How easily I get distracted and amused.
So the MOBO came yesterday, and it looks awesome. The box say Military Grade,..so I guess it can survive an EMP burst. Wink

Anywho,...I began the build last night (against my better judgement and my bed-time deadline).
I took plenty of pictures as I progressed,..which I'll post over the weekend.

Rather then describe things blindly,...I'll wait until I have the pictures posted and I'll describe each step, and any issues I ran into,....and actually,...I don't think there were any! Woohoo!!! Once it was all assembled,...I powered it on and up came the Bios. Made some quick changes there,..and then installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Sure this HTPC-Combo-Multi-purpose build is a beast (which is why I named it the WartHog after the A-10 tank buster),...but I wanted it that way. So far,..I have no regrets,..other than my wallet always seems to give out when I want the extras,....like an SSD (may end up skipping altogether since this thing boots almost as fast as my other A6 build with a SSD),...some wireless game pads,...some new games to play,....a new car,..a vacation,...but I digress.

Now all I need to do,..is bring down my existing 12+ year old workstation,...move the "Warthog" into its new home, configure it with all the toys,...and enjoy!
and I also will be loading up the pictures of course and giving a detailed account of each step.

Oh and the MOBO I used has an Automatic Overclock button on the motherboard,..and other goodies that I'll list another time.
Don't plan on overclocking this,...but it's cool all the same.
After a long delay,...I'm finally adding pictures of the build in progress.
See my first post for all parts used.

I had intended to take pictures of everything as I installed in the case, but in my excitement,....you know how it goes.
Here's the case and the PSU already installed.
The case already came front and rear fans. They're actually pretty quite,..not that that was too much of a concern for this build.
I've also pulled aside all the wiring for when the motherboard gets drops in.

Here you can see that I installed the BD-ROM drive.
The weird thing was that the screws weren't the standard size,..so I had to go to the hardware store with the drive and pick up a few screws.

Here's the RAM, waiting its turn.

Here's the MOBO. It was an ATX,..so it was much easier to make the wired connections than on a Micro-ITX. (duh, obviously)

The Shuriken CPU Cooler.
So, you may ask, why did you get this if you didn't care about noise. Well,....
I was concerned about heat on the CPU,...AND,..as I had said previously,..this is my way of adding "Bling" to my PC.
The fact that this cooler is practically silent when running is an added bonus!

Different angle.

and here's the Shuriken coolers installation bracket. You can't just pop the cooler on the MOBO, yo uneed to install this bracket first.

and the infamous instructions in every language known to man (well maybe a little exaggerated)
They're pretty easy to follow,...but just be careful,..and always remember: NEVER force anything.
If it isn't fitting easily,..you might be installing it the wrong way.

To install the CPU cooler bracket,..you must first remove the original bracket on the MOBO.

Here's with the new bracket installed.

Now, I installed the RAM. Very important, because on some MOBO's,..if you don't install the RAM before the cooler,...you won't be able to isntall the RAM afterwards.

Now the CPU is installed. Again, NEVER force anything. The CPU will only install one way. Make sure you know that otherwise you WILL bend the pins,..and don't ever want to bend pins on a CPU,..trust me,..I have. Fortunately,..that was a long time ago. Also, make sure you raise that lever before you install the CPU. After it's installed,..lower the lever and it locks the CPU in the socket.

Here's the CPU before I took out of the package. Try not to touch the pins on the underside.

Here, I have coated the CPU with a super thin coating of the paste. DO NOT use too much. and don't use too little.

Now with the CPU cooler installed:

Another view:

Here's the back of the case with the MOBO installed. The panel that came with this case was one of the best I've ever used.
I've had a few that broke apart when you tried to install them.

and a look inside without any of the wires connected just yet.

and with the wires connected and tied off:

and the Final Product,....well kind of,...I needed to get those screws I talked about:

Sorry,..but that's all the pictures I took.
I should have taken more, but you really have to be disciplined when building and takign pictures,....I wasn't,...too excited.

I hope these pictures help someone. Good luck in your build!! Wink
Sorry to dig up this rather old thread.

But it looks like you installed the RAM wrong. Most of the time to get dual-channel you need to install it in both blue or both black slots.
You installed it in one blue and one black slot.

Are you sure this is correct?
Better take a look at the manual....

Edit: Just looked at the manual for your MB, you installed them definitely wrong!!!!
You need to install them in Slot DIMM 2 and DIMM 4 if you only have two RAM Units installed.
Check the manual http://www.msi.com/service/download/manual-19376.html

Cheers, nice looking build : )
cirkator: You get the "Eagle Eyes" trophy!!! Nice catch! Smile

When I built the system,..I went a little crazy,..meaning faster than I should have, and I installed the memory as you see in the photo.
I walk away to take a break, and when I came back, I realized what I had done.
I just never remembered to take another picture or describe as well as you did. Thanks for catching that!
and thanks for posting a link to the manual, it was actually one of the better manuals I used.

I am happy to say, this system is going strong, and I'm still loving the choice I made to build this system.
Happy to hear that!

Now I can soar with the eagles ; )
chriiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaah chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaah

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New multi-purpose A10 tank killer. Meet the WartHog3