Req Logon: Don't Search For Missing Artwork

After having switched to Frodo, I experienced extremely long logon delays. The home screen appears, but the cursor freezes --- with the result that the system is unusable for a painfully long time. I have read somewhere (in the firum?) that this is by design so, XBMC trying to find missing artwork (artwork referenced in the library, or the skin xmls) for as long as it considers reasonable before giving up the search.

Excuse me for the harsh tone, but if this is so, then it is the silliest stupidity in terms of system design I have ever come across. There are thousand ways for a referenced link to go dead. Do you think users care, so much so as to tolerate a hung system?

Then you read wrong because the artwork does not act the way you describe.
Get a Debug Log and see why it's slow
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The official Frodo FAQ in the Wiki (I was wrong, it is the wiki not the forum) reads:

Quote:1.24 Navigating XBMC is very slow

While this should be a rare issue, the most likely cause of this is an issue with images (cover art, thumbnail, etc) not having a valid download URL. In Frodo XBMC stores the download url for images in case it ever needs to redownload them, and so if something happened to the cached image during the upgrade, Frodo will try to redownload it. If the file no longer exists at that URL then XBMC will keep trying over and over.

I submit that this is not just a flawed, it is an idiotic design.

Be careful what you say mister!

You are still reading it totally wrong. You say it freezes and the wiki is talking about slow appearing of images. Get your facts straight

Dear Martijn, the difference between freezing and appearing slowly is just a difference of degree. Thus if you were justified in calling a design leading to freezes idiotic, you would be still be justified in applying the same epithet to a design leading to slowdowns. At the most, you would have to modify the epithet to "partially idiotic", which would hardly take the sting out of it. But let us grant hat "idiotic" is per se a nonadmissible word (although I have seen developers use epithets like "dicks", and nobody took an issue), and let us assume that the proper epithet would have been "flawed". Would you, on the basic of these assumptions, dispute that the design as explained in the FAQ is flawed?

No it is not flawed neither idiotic. I told you want to do to see what is happening at your end. If you know it better provide a patch.

Freezing is NOT slowing down. There isn't a degree between that. Freeze is that nothing is happening, slowdown is still being able to do things.

I already told you that the thing described in that part doesn't mention any freeze nor does it in real life. It is only saying that images might not appear at first loading of the library after scanning and it is downloading them. This does NOT affect browsing speed or cause slowdowns

Good luck luck with it....

Edit:
Throwing a dictionary around doesn't make you right.

Somebody learned a new word. 4 times in one paragraph. How eloquent. Rolleyes
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I thought it did cause slowdowns?

In any case, I'm guessing the issue isn't that it's trying to download missing artwork, but that it's not timing out in some way when it hits a bad URL?
@DiMag: I'm going to go out on a limb here but do you, by chance, happen to have RSS enabled? I know from experience that when I have RSS enabled I get a small period where the system becomes - for lack of a better way to describe it - bogged down when I first start XBMC / log in. Depending on your internet connection this could be the cause of you system hang and not due to image caching.

I know it's a stupid thing to think of but it might help you out. I'm not sure if the RSS side of things runs in a different thread or not - it should if it isn't - but it does cause some UI jutter when enabled. It could also be a hundred other things. Do you have Skin Widgets? PVR? TV Next Aired? All those things take time to load. Could there be a better way to deal with this additional load time? Sure, but calling things stupid / idiotic when you're looking for help is going to put people off immediately.

Personally, I love the way Black handled this in Xperience where the home screen doesn't appear until everything is finished loading. This is something that could be possibly incorporated into Confluence. But to ask for help without offering details other than 'the system hangs' and ignoring what Martijn suggested,...that's counter-productive and unfortunately won't get you any closer to solving the issue.
I think some of the misunderstanding here is my fault. I'm the one who worded that FAQ entry the way it is, and it appears I did so because I misunderstood the issue.
No, I do not use RSS, never did. I find the tickers too distracting.
@ned Scott:

If that is so, then this post should be closed. But if it isn't, and there is indeed a preference built within Frodo for eye candy over responsiveness, then this should be reversed.

(2013-01-03, 16:23)DiMag Wrote:
@ned Scott:

If that is so, then this post should be closed. But if it isn't, and there is indeed a preference built within Frodo for eye candy over responsiveness, then this should be reversed.

Debug Log will show
You're right, shall work on it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Logon: Don't Search For Missing Artwork0