OS X How good does the Mac Mini 2012 with Intel 4000HD, 2.5Ghz I5 CPU run XBMC?
Granted, I would also argue that one could go for a previous model MacMini and that would be as-good-as or better than the NUC as far as value for an HTPC.
Hmm some very good information on this thread and I must say thank you to all for your inputs. My other question is how much watts would the NUC as maximum?
(2013-01-05, 21:00)Ned Scott Wrote: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856102002

$300, ethernet port, no thunderbolt

I don't see an option for bluetooth or IR for a remote, so that will also have to be factored in. If someone is interested at evaluating the NUC that would be hard given that there is no return policy. What about warantee, will there be a convient place to take it to if there are hardware issues or would they have to mail it back to Intel depot for repair. These are the hidden costs that need to be looked besides the price tag. Also, the $300 does not get you a hard drive included. So now we are at around $400+. If I wanted a pure media PC I would rather go for a rasberry Pi rather than the NUC. You can put together a Rasberry Pi for a lot cheaper.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
So is there a guide how to install XBMC on the Mac Mini? And which build do I choose? OSX or OSX-x86?
As I understand the Mac Mini with the quad core and i7 processor would be the best choice?
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Intel NUC 4250U (Haswell) in Abel H2 chassis, Philips 55OLED804
(2013-01-16, 20:30)Ipaddle Wrote: So is there a guide how to install XBMC on the Mac Mini? And which build do I choose? OSX or OSX-x86?
As I understand the Mac Mini with the quad core and i7 processor would be the best choice?

The install for Mac OS X is here. This the same for MacPro, iMac, MacBook and Mac-Mini. I would suggest installing the 64-bit x86 version of Frodo RC-3.
Mac OS 10.12.5
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
(2013-01-05, 18:25)winestock Wrote:
(2013-01-05, 17:32)Ned Scott Wrote: The only reason to buy a MacMini as an HTPC is because it's small and looks nice. The NUC is even smaller, looks nice, and costs less. If it was a general use computer then I would say the Mac Mini is not a bad deal, especially if you want Mac OS X, but if it's just XBMC then a 2012 MacMini is waaay overkill.

I would say that the Mac-Mini will have a better re-sale value then the NUC. That alone would make up for the $260 difference. Besides the NUC only has USB 2.0 ports, the Mac had USB 3.0. Thunderbolt HDs are still pretty expensive right now.

There is no $260 difference. You need an OS, RAM, ir receiver, more expensive SSD and virtually no support. The power supply is external and does not even come with a special power chord which you also have to buy.

This is just another proof of concept that Intel is selling. Neat, but it is virtually an incomplete kit. The time spent putting all the pieces together is not worth any ficticous cost savings. Never mind that it is an i3.

It is a nice idea though.

philip

The 2012 Mac Mini does not come with an IR receiver. OpenELEC and XBMCbuntu are free. Buy RAM and a USB thumb drive and you're done. The NUC is $300 (actually, $290 right now on newegg), a Mac Mini is at least $600. Intel recently announced that they will be making a $200 NUC soon.

Like I said before, if you're looking for a full computer, then a Mac Mini is probably the better deal. For an HTPC, a brand new Mac Mini is overkill. Also, I keep saying that the better deal would be to get a 2010/2011 Mac Mini (there are some that are even brand new, just never used).
(2013-01-17, 11:57)Ned Scott Wrote: The 2012 Mac Mini does not come with an IR receiver. OpenELEC and XBMCbuntu are free. Buy RAM and a USB thumb drive and you're done. The NUC is $300 (actually, $290 right now on newegg), a Mac Mini is at least $600. Intel recently announced that they will be making a $200 NUC soon.

Like I said before, if you're looking for a full computer, then a Mac Mini is probably the better deal. For an HTPC, a brand new Mac Mini is overkill. Also, I keep saying that the better deal would be to get a 2010/2011 Mac Mini (there are some that are even brand new, just never used).

The 2012 Mac-Mini does come with a IR receiver, not sure why you think it does not. Take a look at the spec sheet under Connections and Expansion: http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs.html . Also, when you BTO the Mac-Mini there is the option to add the Apple remote which needs a IR receiver for it to work properly.
Mac OS 10.12.5
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
Huh, not sure why I thought that either. They removed it from something... the MacBook?
(2013-01-17, 19:16)Ned Scott Wrote: Huh, not sure why I thought that either. They removed it from something... the MacBook?

Macbook Air... frustrating.
(2013-01-17, 11:57)Ned Scott Wrote: The 2012 Mac Mini does not come with an IR receiver. OpenELEC and XBMCbuntu are free. Buy RAM and a USB thumb drive and you're done. The NUC is $300 (actually, $290 right now on newegg), a Mac Mini is at least $600. Intel recently announced that they will be making a $200 NUC soon.

My 2012 Mini has the receiver. I can see your point about it being overkill if all you want is an XBMC box which can't do Netflix. If that's the case and recording is not an issue then a Pivos XIOS DS running XBMC-Linux is fine.

You can't just take the price of the day on newegg. If that were the case then you can get a Mini refurb.

While you are at it, add in the cost of the power chord for the NUC. Add in the SSD which is very expensive.

Intel can announce futures all they want. If it's not for sale or formally announced then it doesn't exist.

OpenElec and various Linux distributions may be free but that may not be suitable for many. Do they run Netflix?

You mention newegg, which has a $10 off for now. What is the return policy on the NUC? The answer is there isn't one. So you better like it. The power brick is almost the size of the unit which makes the small size deceptive.

I personally can see the appeal of the NUC. But unless you are very careful to use it as a specific Linux XBMC box then it is a premature product with no support.

In any case, each to his own. It will be interesting to see its evolution. I do think it is not the price bargain you are making it out to be.

Philip

The power cord is about a dollar online. You don't need a SSD. Newegg does have a return policy. Intel had a press release for the new NUCs. It had been $300 on newegg since it came out in December. Linux can run netflix (it's IE in wine, but works surprisingly well).

How can you say it's a premature product with no support? That's completely untrue. There are several XBMC users who've been using it since it came out, both under Linux and Windows, and have never had any issues with it or getting support. For XBMC it's a moot point, because Apple won't help you set up XBMC.

No one is saying that it's a bargain, but it is very well priced for a mini PC (making it small costs money, just like a laptop or even the MacMini). It's one of the nicest looking mini PCs that has enough CPU to software decode just about anything. My point being that the main reason to consider a MacMini is size and appearance, which the NUC has too.

I don't really care, but what you're saying is just flat out not true. And hey, I'm a total Apple fanboy, so it's not like I dislike the mini.
The newegg return policy for that product is

Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days

In addition it does not have wifi. Few people will need the two hdmi outputs. I still think it is a neat product which is hardly a bargain. You could get a passively cooled Shuttle for far less which would run XBMC just fine. The appeal is the i3 over the typical Atom or AMD solutions found in other small form systems.

The omission of the power chord is just an example of how not well thought out this product is. Not everyone has those chords lying around.

So no wifi, external power, i3, no receiver, non standard ssd, fan ( which the reviews say is quiet at least), etc... and no return if you don't like it. I think this would be a terrible product for most people. I do admit that it has its appeal, but it is so specific that a person had better be sure they only want to use it for XBMC and hope that netflix (and hulu?) running under wine will be ok.

At least with the Mini you get a complete package which can be used for other purposes.

I almost bought a NUC a month ago. The only thing stopping me was the SSD issue ( they are expensive). The thing oddly enough which made me feel ok not buying it was the lack of that 3 (?) pronged power chord. It boggles the mind that they would even sell it like that.

It may sound as though I really dislike this product. In fact I don't and I still find it a step in the right direction. I just wish they had gone a little bit further. They could have included wifi ( they claim support for very few wifi solutions even if it does work with a broader range of cards) and the chord. Still am uneasy with that small form SSD. In time they will become reasonably priced but then there will be a different NUC or whatever. That is why I think it is really a product ahead of its time.

philip
Candidate?
http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id41.html
(2013-01-17, 11:57)Ned Scott Wrote: a Mac Mini is at least $600.

Pretty close - I just got mine for $549 plus tax at MacConnection. It was probably a bit less on Black Friday. What I like about it is you can add an extra drive with a $35 kit and potentially put 2 TB of hard drive space in that little box. I'm able to operate XBMC with my Harmony remote. And I am exploring using it as a sofa computer with a bluetooth keyboard. Just have to learn a lot more key combos to avoid using a mouse (I couldn't find a good bluetooth keyboard with built-in trackpad).
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How good does the Mac Mini 2012 with Intel 4000HD, 2.5Ghz I5 CPU run XBMC?0