[Guide] Upgrade XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) installation into Frodo
Lightbulb 
A guide on how to upgrade an freshly installed XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) into Frodo 12.3
(surpasses my earlier posting: [Guide] Upgrade XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) installation into Eden)

UPDATED!
This guide will install Frodo Stable 12.3

Background: Were looking forward to install the XBMC Frodo Live-CD (RC2 at writing moment) into my Zotac MAG, only to discover that it didn't work as well as I expected on my box. Had problems with the sound and getting the Nvidia driver to work, resulting in a not so enjoyable Frodo experience. I know that the XBMC Code itself is of excelent quality. But just like the XBMC Eden Live CD, the XBMC Frodo implementation in the Live CD didn't find its way to success for me. The only implementation that really worked for me, were the XBMC Live 10.1 Dharma Live CD. So... Just like I did with Eden, I decided to once again upgrade a Dharma Live CD into Frodo.
And the result were once again just so very Sweet! XBMC is simply da best Media Center for Humans!

My hardware:
  • Zotac MAG
  • Intel Atom Dual Core 330
  • NVIDIA ION Chipset
  • 2GB RAM
  • 160 GB HDD

I have tested all the steps on my unit several times. Although I make no guarantees, but following all steps exactly will probably make a success to those using a unit with similar specifications as mine. This guide have only been tested from a fresh installation of Dharma, which in turn have been upgraded into Frodo.

I strongly recommend doing this guide via ssh terminal (or putty for windows users) with Copy & Paste, since it's easy to make a typing error on all the commands and parameters written here.

So here's the quide in 28 steps:

1. Download the XBMC 10.1 Live CD and install it on the HTPC harddisk
Link: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/live/xb...1-live.iso

2. Boot the XBMC from the harddisk. Notice the IP address of your box, if you want to login from network later on here.

3. In the XBMC panel, go to the shutdown menu and select "Exit"

4a. Login in to the XBMC. For example, I choosed the Username "mediabox" and Password "pass1234" during installation. So I will use that for login. You will of course use the Username and Password you've entered during your own installation.

4b. If a remote login is to be used, the XBMC box's IP address is needed. For my own example, the box is using "192.168.0.25". Then I used the "ssh" command from a Ubuntu Desktop Computer (or putty for windows users):
(The "#" is not typed. Only for symbolising command input)

Code:
# ssh 192.168.0.25 -l mediabox
(replace the "192.168.0.25" with the IP of your own XBMC box, and "mediabox" with your own username from install)

5. Activate the Root user:

Code:
# sudo passwd root
[sudo] password for mediabox: (your password)
Enter new UNIX password: (enter new password for the root user)
Retype new UNIX password: (enter the new password for the root user again)
passwd: password updated successfully

6. Then logout:

Code:
# exit

7a. Login again as root on the HTPC.

7b. If you are using a remote connection over a network, use the ssh command (or putty for windows users):

Code:
# ssh 192.168.0.25 -l root
(replace the "192.168.0.25" with the IP of your own XBMC box)

8. As a root user, the "sudo" command isn't needed. We need to add a repository that contain some libraries needed by the XBMC Build dependencies:

Code:
# add-apt-repository ppa:lucid-bleed/ppa

9. Update the repositories:

Code:
# apt-get update

10. Install the XBMC Build dependencies:

Code:
# apt-get build-dep xbmc -y

11. Turn "off" the XBMC-repository, since the XBMC installation will break during an system upgrade:

Code:
# mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list.list.off
# mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc-svn.list.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc-svn.list.list.off
# apt-get update

12. Upgrade the system:

Code:
# apt-get dist-upgrade -y

The upgrade will probably halt and need a question answered. Just press the "enter" -key since the suggested "N" is the proper answer:

Code:
Configuration file `/etc/lsb-release'
==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** lsb-release (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? (press 'Enter')

13. Reboot to start using the newly updated linux kernel:

Code:
# reboot

After the system is up and running again, go to the shutdown menu in the XBMC panel and select "Exit". Then login in to the XBMC again as root, either direct (as in step 7a) or through the ssh terminal (as in Step 7b).

14. Remove the old kernel that came with the Dharma 10.1 installation, just to free up some space on the disk:

Code:
# apt-get purge '.*-2.6.32-29-*' -y

15. Remove the rest of the old kernel modules:

Code:
# rm -R /lib/modules/2.6.32-29-generic

16. Now the final step, upgrading the existing Nvidia driver to 304:

Code:
# apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
# apt-get update
# apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings -y -q
# rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-x-swat-x-updates-*.list*
# apt-get update

17. Then reboot:

Code:
# reboot

After the system is up and running again, go to the shutdown menu in the XBMC panel and select "Exit". Then login in to the XBMC again as root, either direct (as in step 7a) or through the ssh terminal (as in Step 7b).

18. Install Python tools:

Code:
# apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config -y

19. Now, for the last installations:

Code:
# apt-get install libtinyxml-dev swig libssh-dev libmp3lame-dev libcap-dev -y
# apt-get install openjdk-6-jre-headless -y
# apt-cache search jdk

20. Clear the apt cache to save diskspace, as we dont't need the downloaded installation files anymore:

Code:
# apt-get clean

21. Download XBMC Source Code and prepare for compilation:

Code:
# mkdir ~/setup
# cd ~/setup
# git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git -b Frodo
(leave out "-b Frodo" if you want the earlier XBMC versions as well)

22. Compile the Source Code:

Code:
# cd xbmc
# git reset --hard 12.3-Frodo
# git clean -xfd
# make -C lib/libnfs && make -C lib/libnfs install
# make -C lib/taglib && make -C lib/taglib install
# ./bootstrap ; ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd
# make -C $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/addons/script.module.pil
# make -j4
(prepare for a long relax during this last step)

23. If the compilation went through without errors, the following message should appear:

Code:
-----------------------
XBMC built successfully
-----------------------

24. Before installation of Frodo, deleting all traces of Dharma is a good way to get rid of problems like using wrong Add-ons repositories:

Code:
# rm -R /usr/share/xbmc
# rm -R /usr/lib/xbmc
# rm -R /home/xbmc/.xbmc

25. Install Frodo:

Code:
# make install prefix=/usr
# make distclean

26. Then reboot:

Code:
# reboot

27. The XBMC Frodo panel should now appear on screen. I would recommend Updating / Refreshing the Add-ons repository in System menu by navigating to the "System/Settings/Add-ons/Get Add-ons" menu and make a "Force Refresh" on the "XBMC.org Add-ons" application. Then you can install Add-ons like the XBMC Subtitles etc.

28. Enjoy!

Proceedure for upgrading / install bugfixes for Frodo later on, with the above previous steps already done once.

1. Boot the XBMC. Notice the IP address of your box, if you want to login from network later on here.

2. In the XBMC panel, go to the shutdown menu and select "Exit"

3a. Login in to the XBMC.

3b. If you are using a remote connection over a network, use the ssh command (replace the IP address with your own):
(The "#" is not typed. Only for symbolising command input)

Code:
# ssh 192.168.0.25 -l root
(replace the "192.168.0.25" with the IP of your own XBMC box)

4. Download the latest GIT and compile the source code:

Code:
# cd ~/setup
# rm -r xbmc
# git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git -b Frodo
# cd xbmc
# make distclean
# git reset --hard 12.3-Frodo
# git clean -xfd
# make -C lib/libnfs && make -C lib/libnfs install
# make -C lib/taglib && make -C lib/taglib install
# ./bootstrap ; ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd
# make -C $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/addons/script.module.pil
# make -j4

If the compilation went through without errors, the following message should appear:

Code:
-----------------------
XBMC built successfully
-----------------------

5. Install Frodo:

Code:
# make install prefix=/usr
# make distclean

You probably need to re-setup the Remote Control drivers, since some configuration files are copied from the sources.

6. Reboot the HTPC:

Code:
# reboot

The XBMC panel with the updated Frodo should now appear on screen.

7. Enjoy!
Great post, I've followed your previous guide for upgrading to Eden and look forward to trying this on at least one of my machines.

But (and I know you've got Nvidia), can someone point a way to upgrading the Intel graphics if using GMA950 chipset

As well as upgrading AMD graphics if using gpu less than HD4000. I know latest AMD drivers do not support the older chipsets anymore.

I'm basically looking at Step 16 if using Intel 945(950) or AMD HD3450

Again, thanks for the post. I'll be giving it a try soon.
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
(2013-01-07, 00:05)vbat99 Wrote: Great post, I've followed your previous guide for upgrading to Eden and look forward to trying this on at least one of my machines.

But (and I know you've got Nvidia), can someone point a way to upgrading the Intel graphics if using GMA950 chipset

As well as upgrading AMD graphics if using gpu less than HD4000. I know latest AMD drivers do not support the older chipsets anymore.

I'm basically looking at Step 16 if using Intel 945(950) or AMD HD3450

Again, thanks for the post. I'll be giving it a try soon.

Intel releases their drivers as free software, meaning they are baked into the distribution (Ubuntu in this case) and not usually separately upgradable like Nvidias proprietary drivers. This means that the only sane way to upgrade your Intel drivers is to upgrade Ubuntu itself (which tends to break things on occasion but is perfectly doable).
(2013-01-07, 00:56)negge Wrote: Intel releases their drivers as free software, meaning they are baked into the distribution (Ubuntu in this case) and not usually separately upgradable like Nvidias proprietary drivers. This means that the only sane way to upgrade your Intel drivers is to upgrade Ubuntu itself (which tends to break things on occasion but is perfectly doable).

Thanks. I had seen a thread for upgrading the i965 drivers, but I am not sure if this would work for 945(950) chipset.
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
This post has some outdated procedures which can be streamlined and brought up-to-date see my signature 2nd link.

Dependency wise no need for ANY ppas and or ppa sources not to mention this would never work as it is missing at least +/-50 packages...

+ bad idea to sign in as root to compile things like XBMC which need user permissions and things to belong to the user running xbmc and root aint it.

Why or why Dhama as a starting point? xbmc-live alone is done - dead no more and you starting with an ancient EOL Ubuntu version...

Sorry cant see the advantage of this method for anything.

Good effort to poster at least A+ for effort.

uNi
(2013-01-07, 02:19)uNiversal Wrote: This post has some outdated procedures which can be streamlined and brought up-to-date see my signature 2nd link.

Dependency wise no need for ANY ppas and or ppa sources not to mention this would never work as it is missing at least +/-50 packages...

+ bad idea to sign in as root to compile things like XBMC which need user permissions and things to belong to the user running xbmc and root aint it.

Why or why Dhama as a starting point? xbmc-live alone is done - dead no more and you starting with an ancient EOL Ubuntu version...

Sorry cant see the advantage of this method for anything.

Good effort to poster at least A+ for effort.

uNi

Tried your ambiguous (really nice) XBMC installation script for the Ubuntu Minimal CD, only to find it not working on my box. Received GTK errors and a non working X-server afterwards. So I made it in the QD-way, upgrading the Dharma Live CD installation. And it worked like a charm.
Btw: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is still getting updates.
What? Your definitely confusing someone else's work with my own...MY script is a XBMC git upgrade script http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=142337

Do not confuse my work with other peoples work. you think http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369 that is mineHuh nono bzzzt

If you using ppa's to compile XBMC and so on I can tell you that those ppas your using are 100% outdated. Sorry pal meant no disrespect, its just Im not inclined to stroke your ego when I know better can be done and I pointed you twice to my compile script not anything else so you go learn.

uNi

Oh yea so you know.

Im working on Ubuntu minimal 12.04 + XBMC compiled from source + Xswat ppa for drivers on Atom ION 330 HT a few more tweaks and everything is flying including my remote and internal IR.

So yea enjoy your way... Big Grin

* un1versal takes off flying to never never land. o/
following this guide.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150594

cant get further from here.

Code:

# mkdir ~/setup
# cd ~/setup
# git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git

"Dump from my screen"
---------------------

root@XBMCLive:~# mkdir ~/setup
root@XBMCLive:~# cd ~/setup
root@XBMCLive:~/setup# git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
-bash: git: command not found
root@XBMCLive:~/setup#

now what ?

My h/w is this--->
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/ION%203D%20Series/
@Donryder1234

Use this guide to compile...

http://tinyurl.com/9b3rb8g

I already advised the OP that his guide is severely incomplete by about 50 packages missing and outdated procedures on compile grabbing xbmc from git.

Using the script will also enable you to update the compile to newer code. Though you can copy and paste everything line-by-line.

uNi
Hi!

Since you are taking the path to build Frodo on XBMCLive Dahrma, I'd like to place my problem here.

Actually I'm running Frodo RC3 on my Shuttle XS35GT (Nvidia ION2), compiled from git on XBMCLive Dharma. So far, everything is working very well except one thing:

I can't get bitstreaming of the HD audio formats working. Neither TrueHD nor DTS Master HD will make it. All I get is some static noise and my Yamaha AVR displays PCM on his display.

This, however, works on XBMCBuntu RC3, which I installed on a second partition. So it is clear, that my hardware is able to bitstream HD audio formats (just before someone is asking... Wink ).

I tried the newer nvidia driver (304.x) but to no avail. Same result. So I asume there is some other dependency, may be Alsa, which prevents my systems from playing HD audio.

Any hint in the right direction is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Zap

BTW: I was using uNi's script to build Frodo... Angel

"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
Tanks universal.
Will try your guide.
Best regards D
(2013-01-14, 13:43)Donryder1234 Wrote: following this guide.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150594

cant get further from here.

Code:

# mkdir ~/setup
# cd ~/setup
# git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git

"Dump from my screen"
---------------------

root@XBMCLive:~# mkdir ~/setup
root@XBMCLive:~# cd ~/setup
root@XBMCLive:~/setup# git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
-bash: git: command not found
root@XBMCLive:~/setup#

now what ?

My h/w is this--->
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/ION%203D%20Series/

Looks like you haven't installed the GIT package.
Have you done step 10? (apt-get build-dep xbmc -y)
You can also try "apt-get install git" if something went wrong while you tried to fetch those earlier.
(2013-01-14, 14:08)uNiversal Wrote: @Donryder1234

Use this guide to compile...

http://tinyurl.com/9b3rb8g

I already advised the OP that his guide is severely incomplete by about 50 packages missing and outdated procedures on compile grabbing xbmc from git.

Using the script will also enable you to update the compile to newer code. Though you can copy and paste everything line-by-line.

uNi

Exact what packages are missing? If you've tried the guide with all steps done properly, you will get success. If you haven't tried it, why are you posting comments on it?
No you wont
(2013-01-14, 15:34)Milleman Wrote: Looks like you haven't installed the GIT package.
Have you done step 10? (apt-get build-dep xbmc -y)
You can also try "apt-get install git" if something went wrong while you tried to fetch those earlier.

I rest my case. Wink

Step 10 does not install git-core or many other needed packages and is also made redundant if you do the below.

Quote:18. Now we need to download the necessary libraries in order to compile the XBMC:

Code:
# apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config -y
# add-apt-repository ppa:team-iquik/xbmc-stable
# apt-get update

should be

Code:
aptitude install python-software-properties pkg-config -y
apt-get install libvdpau-dev ccache autopoint libltdl-dev git-core build-essential gawk pmount libtool nasm yasm automake cmake gperf zip unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound2-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmpeg3-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs python-dev libyajl-dev libboost-thread-dev libplist-dev libusb-dev libudev-dev libtinyxml-dev libcap-dev curl swig default-jre libavcodec-dev libavfilter-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libbluetooth-dev libbluray-dev libbluray1 libcec-dev libcec1 libcrystalhd-dev libcrystalhd3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libcwiid-dev libcwiid1 libnfs-dev libpostproc-dev libshairport-dev libswscale-dev libva-dev libva-egl1 libva-tpi1 libmp3lame-dev -y
apt-get update

OUTDATED

Code:
# add-apt-repository ppa:team-iquik/xbmc-stable
Not needed because the apt-get line adds all dependencies needed according to readme.ubuntu and readme.linux

You out of telling one user they need to install something in order to use your guide?

Your clearly missing some important steps, I have done my best to advise you that it is incomplete because clearly you are missing crucial information.

RTFM

uNi

(2013-01-14, 15:49)uNiversal Wrote: .
Step 10 does not install git-core or many other needed packages and is also made redundant if you do the below.

Why are you even bother to advise readers that the guide isn't correct, if you even haven't tried it?
Step 10 in this guide will install ALL the necessarily tools and packages needed for getting a success. It WILL also install the GIT-core package as needed in this guide!!

Instead of trolling this thread, try the guide BEFORE you post any more on the matter!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Guide] Upgrade XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) installation into Frodo2