OS X Playback issues
I am having some problems with playback on my macbook.
I am sure there's a simple solution to all this and I am obviously missing something along the line but there's so much information about I'm struggling to wade my way through it so any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

The problems I get seem to be with some large mkv films during playback. I have noticed the xbmc-cpu goes above 100% quite a bit so is this caused simply because the file is too big for my system to handle? Or is this a codec issue? I don't really know alot about codecs for mac but the file plays perfectly on my windows 7 laptop

My system is as follows:
macbook
intel core 2 duo 2.16 ghz
2gb ram
intel GMA 950
running osx 10.5.8
log from failed playback:

http://pastebin.com/3MVnUvUg

Thanks for any help,

Andy

I would suggest removing the account:password info from your file share. Other than that, I'm wondering if there's a network bottleneck involved. Also, have you given the Frodo RC a try to see if that helps?
xbmc-cpu going above 100% is quite normal, unlike windows 100 percent is per cpu, so if you have a Core2Duo, you have two CPU and the max is 200%, four CPUs, the max is 400%.

CPU does not depend on the file size of the mkv, it depends on the decoded resolution, level and profile of the video encoder.

Frodo RCx would be a bad move as you are running osx 10.5.8 and Frodo RCx requires 10.6.x or above.
Fair enough on the Frodo req. I hadn't used 10.5 since I picked up an Intel Mac (it came with 10.6), so I hadn't considered that possible issue. Technically, even 10.6 is a little outdated, let alone 10.5 being behind.

If the cost of upgrading is affordable, I'd look into doing that and then try Frodo to see if it solves the playback issue. I do know that video playback was changed between Eden and Frodo, since playback issues were introduced and fixed during development.

The dual core should be plenty fast enough, since it seemed that hardware acceleration was active. I have a single core Linux system that plays 1080p files smoothly on my 51" TV.
10.6.8 is golden in my eyes.
Thanks I'm currently trying to get hold of an upgrade disk then I can hopefully get a fresh install and try again with Frodo.
Hopefully that'll fix it....it's driving me mad though as I played a film last night which was in 720p so a smaller file and it played perfectly but then when I opened my 1080 film it struggled to the point of being unwatchable!....

Fingers crossed that'll solve it

Thanks again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback issues0