(Topic changed) XBMC schedules recording on wrong sub-channel (from over-the-air ch.)
I was hoping this might be fixed in RC3, but no such luck. I have a HDHomeRun Dual (used to pick up over-the-air TV channels) with MythTV backend on a separate machine. If I use the MythTV frontend software, all the channels appear and I can schedule recordings, etc. But in XBMC RC 3 with the MythTV cmyth PVR client, I only see one sub-channel for each channel. In other words, if a station has channels on 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3, the EPG Timeline grid only shows channel 8. Also there it seems that which sub-channel is shown is picked rather randomly - sometimes it's x.1, on other channels it's x.2 or x.3.

I don't understand the problem because the MythTV frontend shows all the sub-channels. Also the TV Channels view shows all the channels. It's only the grid view that doesn't work. This is in the OS X version, in case that makes any difference.
It's not Myth, it's XBMC. It does not understand Subchannels. You have to uncheck 'Use Backend Channels' in System/LiveTV and then they will show up.
(2013-01-04, 06:45)tdavis Wrote: It's not Myth, it's XBMC. It does not understand Subchannels. You have to uncheck 'Use Backend Channels' in System/LiveTV and then they will show up.
Thanks for the help! That works BUT then they are out of order and do not show the channel numbers. I figured out how to reorder them in XBMC (using Settings | Live TV | General | Channel Manager, then using the up or down arrow and pressing OK or Enter when you get to the channel you want to move) but if you then need to reset the PVR database for any reason, it forgets the order you placed them in and you have to do it all over again.

It would be really nice if future versions of XBMC did understand subchannels. But at least now I can see all the stations in the schedule grid.
There is still a problem. While all the subchannels are now shown, actually attempting to schedule a program doesn't work properly. For example, I just tried to schedule a program on channel 35-2, and XBMC did schedule the right program, but on 35-1, not 35-2 (confirmed by looking at it in the MythTV frontend). So the program would never be recorded, because it would be looking for that program on the wrong subchannel.

Note that scheduling the program on the correct subchannel is not a problem in the MythTV frontend. It's only XBMC that seems to have a problem with keeping the channels apart.
This issue has existed since PVR started and I doubt it will be fixed by Frodo Final, if at all. Sub-channels seem to be unique to the US OTA and US OTA users seem to be a minority among PVR users. Channel Number is varchar(10) in Myth but is an int in XBMC. This means that although Myth can handle '2.1' and '2.2', XBMC converts both to 2. Changing a data type would be a big change.

The best work-around is to change the channum to an integer using MythWeb, and then set XBMC to use backend channel numbers. To make it easier to browse, I moved all sub-channels to >100. For instance, 2.1 is Fox HD and is set to 2 in Myth. 2.2 and 2.3 are Fox in spanish, so they're 102 and 103.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(Topic changed) XBMC schedules recording on wrong sub-channel (from over-the-air ch.)0