Bug [RPi] - crash - alignment exception
Bug 
Running XBMC on a Raspberry Pi I hit Back on my CEC remote and was presented with a BSOD (black screen of death). I found this error in dmesg

Quote:[ 2626.927526] Alignment trap: not handling instruction ed816a00 at [<0056f3e8>]
[ 2626.927571] Unhandled fault: alignment exception (0x811) at 0xffffffff

I was using XBian 1.0a4 and watching a h264 stereo movie that is only 480p in resolution. Nothing too taxing even for a Raspi.

My specific XBMC version 12.0-RC1 compiled from Git:20121212-afbae11 (Dec 13, 2012).

Please let me know if there is more information I can supply that might help debug this problem.

have you tried to discuss on our XBian forum ? if no please feel free to do so
Can you try removing any overclocking settings and confirming power supply is good?
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#T...r_problems
(2013-01-04, 11:34)rikardo1979 Wrote: have you tried to discuss on our XBian forum ? if no please feel free to do so

Ha ha ha Rikardo, why are you suggesting that? I have enough trouble trying to find a place to drop bug reports as it is! Now I finally get the right spot for XBMC bugs and you come in telling me I should go somewhere else!?

(2013-01-04, 14:11)popcornmix Wrote: Can you try removing any overclocking settings and confirming power supply is good?
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#T...r_problems
Hi popcornmix.
The power supply is no different to that which I have been using for quite a while. In this case it was straight USB from the TV to microUSB on the Pi and that is usually fairly stable.

I could switch off overclocking however being a random crash, I guess I'll just have to sit around waiting for it to happen again.

In case you did not know, XBian only overclocks the CPU to 840 Mhz by default though I am unsure whether there is any dynamic overclocking now in use with XBian. The current /boot/config.txt is:
Quote:arm_freq=840
core_freq=375
disable_overscan=1
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=128
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0

As you can see there, default XBian settings do not use over-voltage. Does that, and AFAIK the reasonable stability of the power supply from the TV's USB socket, make it less likely to be a power issue popcornmix?
(2013-01-04, 15:19)raspberry_pd Wrote: As you can see there, default XBian settings do not use over-voltage. Does that, and AFAIK the reasonable stability of the power supply from the TV's USB socket, make it less likely to be a power issue popcornmix?

Any overclock is potentially unreliable (if we could guarantee every board ran at 840MHz, then we'd use that for the default Raspbian images), so you should disable that if you have reliability problems to rule it out.
A TV's USB socket is quite likely limited to 500mA (or less), so I would say that is also a likely suspect for the reliability problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RPi] - crash - alignment exception0