Best name convention for movies
Hello Dear Community,

I have a question what name convention should I use for my movies.
My library is looks like this:
-Videos
|-Movies
|--Some movie, the (year)
|--Some movie 720p/1080p.xxx

Now I have noticed that naming movie is not a good idea. Sometimes wrong movie is being picked up.
I have also noticed that there are some differences in year between trakt.tv and imdb. So my first question should be which date is really proper.
First example would be http://trakt.tv/movie/10-years-2012 where IMDB shows 2011 but release info says 2012.
Changing file name to Some movie (year) - quality.ext didn't improve that much.
Please tell me what kinda name convention should I use to have as less input as possible into fixing movies library.

I'm using XBMC Frodo RC on Mac + Universal Scrapper. Universal scrapper (latest version) was is set to take all possible info from IMDB. I have also tried to change to themoviedd + trakt where was that possible but without major differences.

I have forgot to add that I'm using CP for renaming purposes.

Thank you in advance.
Regards
Bartek
I use
- Movies
- Movie Name (Year)
- Movie Name (Year) Resolution Source

For example:

- Movies
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012) BluRay 1080p.mkv

It works perfectly with scraping
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012) <--- anything after this gets ignored.

Year is only added to sources that have an older Year release.

uNi
I use Name (Year) for folders and then Name (Year) Source Quality for files.

Works perfectly with Aeon MQ4
Anything after the Year gets ignored, so it doesn't matter what you put in there.

XBMC can by default Flag HD or SD from the headers and recently the Bluray Flag has been added Though idk how that part works.

uNi
IMDB frequently has different year releases in the movie name because they use limited festival release dates - so if a movie showed at Cannes in 2011 but got general cinema release in 2012, IMDB will use 2011, other sources 2012.

(Disclaimer, I read that in another thread on here, but can't find it at present!)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
We seem off topic though, at this point...

Is there a better naming convention that what I suggested?
Not off topic to tell you that the release year can be ambiguous between different scrapers.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Agreed, but without suggesting an alternative, I'm not sure how we're helping the OP at this point...

( :
The alternative is reading the wiki.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...les/Movies

And as I said already the year is optional and after that everything else is ignored and not used.

and To be nitpicking and more specifi to OP's Q

Quote:|--Some movie 720p/1080p.xxx

The 720p/1080p name part is not used and is ignored by every scraper and not added to Library as the HD flag is derived from actual file resolution IIRC the file header.

For e.g. what @newoski said would work except for (source/resolution) in 3rd example is ignored, though everything else is correct and used and is as per wiki and best naming conventions as wiki suggests.

uNi

Many thanks for you answers guys. I will fix my file names and do another scan.
Please let me use this topic for another library related question.
Some of the movies when even proper found don't have poster. I need to to manually update it. Further more I have downloaded an addon artwork downloader.
What I was trying to achieve is for movies download poster and fanart best possible quality and for TV Shows only poster. For TV show it self and for every season.
Regardless setting logs says some files have been downloaded but I'm not able to locate them and use them or even better make them be used as default for tv shows/movies.

I'm sorry if that's against rules, I'm trying to find answers before asking again and again. Thou it seems I'm a fresh member I have been using XBMC 3-4 years ago if I remember correctly but so many things have changed.

Thanks

Regards
Bartek
I guess picking a year that matches what your data source (tmdb, imdb etc) specifies is the best advice.

You do realise that scraping imdb is against their T&C's?
Any reason you are using IMDb instead of TheMovieDB?
Any reason I should use TheMovieDB instead of IMDB?
Movie Name [2012 BluRay].mkv

that's my naming convention.. the BluRay bit is just for me so i know the quality whilst im browsing the files on my PC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best name convention for movies0