• 8(current)
(How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4
I guess no. I did not want them to added to the main section without segmentation. Let me explain further.

(I defined them as movies (all are blu ray or dvd based concerts) in the new playlist section. I thought that they would scrape after being added. Each of my folders on server are seperate):

Omega (sever)
- Movies
- TV shows
(so far, this is all that has been added, I have used MCM to scrape all of them, etc. But when added to XBMC, alot of info is not showing up. in MCM I have set it up so that it creates xbmc NFO's)

after the above, I also have the following folders yet to be added to XBMC
- Concerts
-Demo
- Kids Movies
- Kids TV shows
- Foreign Film

I would like to create it so that all the above folders are main menu items for ease of section.

Again, thank you for your help - its very much appreciated.

S
I see. In order for them to show correctly within the playlists, they need to be scrapped by xbmc and place in a catagorey. Whether that be movies, TV shows or music videos (concerts).

Once you know which catagorey to scrape the files under, you can add your concert folder as a source of that type, and then set the playlist up with the same type.

The best thing to do is to choose a couple of your concert files, and see if they are shown on themoviedb.com.

If they are then add your concert folder as a movie source, making sure xbmc scrapes the files, and then set up a playlist as described in the tutorial.

Thanks for the rep btw!
My fanart.tv & themoviedb.org accounts.

(2013-11-06, 00:28)Samu-rai Wrote: I see. In order for them to show correctly within the playlists, they need to be scrapped by xbmc and place in a catagorey. Whether that be movies, TV shows or music videos (concerts).

Once you know which catagorey to scrape the files under, you can add your concert folder as a source of that type, and then set the playlist up with the same type.

The best thing to do is to choose a couple of your concert files, and see if they are shown on themoviedb.com.

If they are then add your concert folder as a movie source, making sure xbmc scrapes the files, and then set up a playlist as described in the tutorial.

Thanks for the rep btw!

Thanks again, very much appreciated
S
For some reason when i did this, i have to select the file twice for it to show up.

Example - In the movies main menu, I get items that are from (movies, docs, kids movies)

The nodes (docs, kids movies, etc) are setup, but again i have to double select them to get the actual video file.

Thanks again for trouble shooting with me
I was pointed to this thread by someone else. I'm not using this skin (yet) but have taken a very quick look at it. At present I am still using Neon (GIT version) with Frodo, and the two things I like about it are that it has a separate menu item for HD movies (it omits the stuff from DVD and other low-quality sources), and also it has a separate menu item for Videos. I don't suppose it would be difficult to create the Videos entry but does MQ4 have any way to display movies by quality? I suppose if I were to experiment a bit I might find the answer to that.

But the real reason I am posting is because I note some have expressed a desire to have a particular item appear in both kids and adults movies, and sorting them into separate directories means they will only appear in one or the other. I don't know if this would work in XBMC, but I've done this in similar situations with other software. The trick is to use what is called a symlink in Linux and an alias in OS X. A symlink is just a link to another file elsewhere, that for most purposes behaves as if it were that file itself. So for example, let's say you had a directory called "Kids Movies" and then your regular "Movies" directory. And in your "Movies" directory you have a movie file that you also want to have in the "Kids Movies". From the Linux command prompt you could do something like this:

ln -f -s "/path/to/Movies/Movie Title.mp4" "/path/to/Kids Movies/Movie Title.mp4"

What that will do is create a small system file in the Kids Movies with the same title as the original (only if you used the same title, of course) that provides access to the original file, just as if that file were moved to that directory. So it in effect appears in both directories, but there is only one actual copy of the file on the drive. "ln" is the command that does this, -f forces the command (so if you move the original to a different directory you can create a new symlink without deleting the old one first), and -s makes a symbolic link rather than a "hard" link. I am not quite sure what the difference is, but long ago I learned to use the -s option and have always done so.

In Mac OS X there is a similar functionality, called "Make Alias". If you right click on a file in Finder, the "Make Alias" option should appear in the popup context menu. The alias will be created in the same directory, with " alias" appended to the end of the filename - just move that alias file to whatever directory you want and then rename it to remove the added " alias" suffix. If you use XtraFinder then you can go into XtraFinder's preferences and under "add items to Finder menus" you can tick the box next to "Make Symbolic Link", and then when you right click on a file in Finder you will be given the additional option to make what I assume is a true Linux-style symlink, which will have a " Link" suffix rather than the " alias" suffix. I think that either an alias or a symlink would work in this circumstance.

In either Linux or OS X, if you have installed mc (Midnight Commander) you can also create a symlink by clicking on "File" (in mc's top menu bar), then "Symlink". mc also lets you edit existing symlinks.

Under Windows (Vista or later) you would use the MKLINK command with the /D option (or maybe /J, I don't use Windows so can't really say what the difference is), or probably better yet, you can use the Directory Linker utility. I would hope that programs like Total Commander also have the ability to create symlinks, but it has been so long since I have used Windows that the last version I actually used was Windows 2000, so I have forgotten most of what I used to know about that OS.

The caveat on this is that I have not tried to do this personally on movie files used with XBMC, so I don't know if there would be any potential complications, for example from XBMC apparently seeing the same exact title in two different directories. But if you are feeling adventurous, feel free to experiment with a title or two to start with, and see what happens.
Thanks for the info.

There are a few ways you could acheive this from within XBMC itself, while still using smart playlists.

The first method that springs to mind is using tags. Create a tag, and then use it to mark the titles you wish to show in both categories.

Then add this tag to both of your smart playlists as a second rule. Use the rule, where 'tag' 'is' and then choose the tag you created.

Now on the first menu, change the option towards the bottom of the page to 'must match at least one rule', and save.

Adding an HD movies button again is relatively simple. I would assume your current skin uses video nodes to acheive this. You could do the same and add a node directly to the home screen. Or, you could place all your HD films into its own folder, and use the same smart playlist method in this tutorial.

P.S MQ4 is the old version of the skin. MQ5 is the current.

Where do I find step 4 - as described on the first page of this thread - in MQ5?
Go to the settings sub menu and select 'Customize Main Menu'.

Thanks for your reply, but - unfortunately - I already did that, but without reaching anything where I could achieve something with "Ok, now return to the home screen, press the down arrow twice and select 'Customizations'. Once here press the up arrow and select '+VPLAYLIST'."

Allow me to explain what I (newbee on XBMC) try to achieve: I want separate entries in the main menu like "Kids, Docu's, Opera's, etc". I have XBMC 12.2 and applied the Aeon MQ5 skin.

Following page 1 of this thread I have the following directory structure on my (Synology Diskstation) NAS:
\Video\Docus, \Video\Kids, \Video\Movies, \Video\Operas, \Video\Series, etc and subsequently added these as sources.

Where the steps on page 1 of this thread are not exactly the same, I did this for step 2:
Main Menu - Movies - Enter - four times Left untill I reach the top menu Smart Shortcuts
Then Videos (root) - Files - Add Videos - Browse to the correct folder (Docus) and choose it
Specify that contents (in this case) is movies and confirm.

Contrary to step 3 of this thread I did the same as above here and then chose Playlists - New Smart Playlist
Name: Docus - Find Items - Match Items where Path is SMB://DISKSTATION/VIDEO/DOCUS, etc

So now I have four Folders, four corresponding Sources and four equally corresponding Smart Playlists

And here I am stuck, because I cannot find any possibility (under Customize Main Menu) to use any of the created Smart Playlists; I cannot even choose one of the "EMPTY"slots to "SHOW", and/or to use one of the created Playlist.

In the meantime please accept my compliments with this fantastic skin: awesome!!
@barranco, look this video, sorry in portuguese (Brazil), but you see how work create smartplaylist and insert new item in main menu

Go to settings, enter in customize main menu, look first EMPTY item, use replace function, in right list, select Choose Video Playlist (enter), choose your playlist (enter), use clone function for have submenu option in new item, rename item, done.
Or press left arrow in one default item (movies, tv shows, etc), in submenu, you have empty fields too, for create item there.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
Thanks for support both Samu-rai and Wanilton. (allthough being Dutch; I already live in Portgal for ten years, so Portuguese wasn't the biggest bottleneck).

I start to fear that there is something wrong with the sources I tried to make: to this end I used Post 4 of this thread, but following VIDEO (ROOT) I did not get the choice 'ADD SOURCE', but a list with:
MOVIES
RECENTLY ADDED MOVIES
FILES
PLAYLISTS and
VIDEO ADD-ONS
From there I followed FILES, then 'ADD VIDEOS' and then I browsed to the folder containing the (in this example) documentaries.

Then I take VIDEO (ROOT) again and this time follow PLAYLISTS, then NEW SMART PLAYLIST, edit this (conform your instructions), done.

But when I now follow your instructions and try to replace with video playlist I indeed find the playlist with name "DOCUS.XSP", rename the EMPTY with Docu's, find that button then in the Main Menu, but there is nothing in it.
Photo 
I admit being a newbie on XBMC, but there will be more like me: not exactly being a computer-illiterate, but having built their first htpc and then finding xbmc as their first attempt to setup a media system. It is only logic to go for the last version of software, hence one finds the MQ5 skin and reads:

WHAT'S NEW IN AEON MQ 5?

REPLACE MENU

Right now you can forget everything that you ever saw about main menu customization.
In Aeon MQ 5 the new resource REPLACE do not only do the reorganization of the items but also do it as a complete integration betwen menu and submenu.
You can change any item of your submenu directly to the main menu or the reverse operation, this is the dream of any user.
The reorder as it is know on Aeon MQ 4 is also available. However is much better and simpler to use.

Then you decide that you want that customized main menu and subsequently you arrive on this thread. And you are happy to find a guide on the first page of it that explains how to do this. Unfortunately the menu structure of MQ5 is not the same as of MQ4 (to say the least), and there the problems start (as I found out not only for me). Take for example the referral to this wiki for creating more sources; it does not work this way in MQ5!

Would it be possible to re-edit the first page of this thread for users of MQ5 including all 6 steps? Preferably with screenshots, as a picture tell more .......

It is my belief that it would attract more users to use this phenomal skin,
Yeah that's definitely the plan at some point.

It's just finding the time to do it!

That sounds familiar.Big Grin Still appreciating all the good work of you.
Thanks.
Very strange finding!
After deleting the c:\%appdata%\xbmc\userdata folder I started xbmc again, of course ending in confluence.
Now I created the desired sources and smart playlist there and THEN applied Aeon MQ5; surprise, surprise, using the 'empty slots' with my smart playlists now worked like a snap!
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 3