• 2(current)
(How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4
I've had a play around with it and I can't find or think of a way of doing it unfortunately. Sorry
(2013-02-16, 20:00)cyphrmedic Wrote: Is it possible to get like Genre, Years, ect, in the sub menu for the smart playlist menu?

Thanks

I worked out how to do this for you. Go to the videos menu and select movies.

This will bring up a list of the categories that you want, genres, title etc.

Highlight each of these and press the c key. This will bring up the contextual menu where you can select 'add to favourites'. Do this with all of the categories you want.

Now go back to the customisation menu and choose to add each of these new favourites to the movie submenu.

You will now have a custome playlist button on your homescreen which still has all the submenu catagores of the original.
(2013-01-06, 21:25)Samu-rai Wrote: Fingers crossed everything should now be working, and you have your and your children’s media collections neatly separated.
Cheers!

So I have followed this, and so far, I like the results. I do have a question, and I'm not sure if I did something wrong, or what.
When I first exit out of customizations, everything looks great. When I go into Movies, Kids Movies, Kids TV, TV Shows, etc... and exit back to the main menu, it drops me to either the left or right side of the selected entry.

Example... I click on Kids TV, then back out, normally the selection would still be on Kids TV, but it jumps over to Movies or Kids Movies. Also, once I exit out, there is an extra menu option titled "My Menu" if I scroll all the way through. When I first exit customizations, that's not there. Weird?

Otherwise, thanks for the instructions!

Running MQ4 on Frodo.
(2013-03-15, 05:40)Savage702 Wrote:
(2013-01-06, 21:25)Samu-rai Wrote: Fingers crossed everything should now be working, and you have your and your children’s media collections neatly separated.
Cheers!

So I have followed this, and so far, I like the results. I do have a question, and I'm not sure if I did something wrong, or what.
When I first exit out of customizations, everything looks great. When I go into Movies, Kids Movies, Kids TV, TV Shows, etc... and exit back to the main menu, it drops me to either the left or right side of the selected entry.

Example... I click on Kids TV, then back out, normally the selection would still be on Kids TV, but it jumps over to Movies or Kids Movies. Also, once I exit out, there is an extra menu option titled "My Menu" if I scroll all the way through. When I first exit customizations, that's not there. Weird?

Otherwise, thanks for the instructions!

Running MQ4 on Frodo.

That's strange; it's not something that I have myself. The only thing I could suggest is to delete the customised buttons and input them again.

Is the My Menu button activated when in customisation mode? It won't/will show depending on whether you have it activated or not, but there may be a slight bug that makes it appear briefly after you exit the customisation menu even if it’s deactivated.
How odd. My Menu was not setup/activated before I did this, but now it was set. Once I disabled My Menu in customization, the menu jumping stopped too. Very strange.

Now is there a way to have Genre or Rating in the submenu's like is there with the main "Movies' menu?
(2013-03-17, 05:38)Savage702 Wrote: How odd. My Menu was not setup/activated before I did this, but now it was set. Once I disabled My Menu in customization, the menu jumping stopped too. Very strange.

Now is there a way to have Genre or Rating in the submenu's like is there with the main "Movies' menu?

See 4 posts up Smile
(2013-03-17, 12:43)Samu-rai Wrote: See 4 posts up Smile

Umm... yeah, I saw that! Confused Thanks. Big Grin
Hi together,

I am just moving to XMBC from Mediaportal and this morning I exactely had this requirement. So far so good. Unfortunately my playlists are emtpty. I followed the instructions. My movies folder playlist is totally empty and my kids playlist only one movie is shown.

What can I do?

Playlist are stored correctly in the usersata folder: movie list lokks like this:

I am using frodo 12.1 dsplayer build

Thanks!

BR

Juro

SOLVED: mmh Solved thsi the path settinbgs are a little tricky ;-)
(2013-02-24, 14:43)Samu-rai Wrote:
(2013-02-16, 20:00)cyphrmedic Wrote: Is it possible to get like Genre, Years, ect, in the sub menu for the smart playlist menu?

Thanks

I worked out how to do this for you. Go to the videos menu and select movies.

This will bring up a list of the categories that you want, genres, title etc.

Highlight each of these and press the c key. This will bring up the contextual menu where you can select 'add to favourites'. Do this with all of the categories you want.

Now go back to the customisation menu and choose to add each of these new favourites to the movie submenu.

You will now have a custome playlist button on your homescreen which still has all the submenu catagores of the original.

Mhh you only have 10 fav and 10 smart playlist to add, can you add 1 fav e.g. "unwatched" for the custom "movies" menu as well as for the custom "kids movie section" and is the content filtered by the custom menu based on the smart playlist?
Hi juro

I'm not really sure what you mean?
My fanart.tv & themoviedb.org accounts.

(2013-01-07, 09:24)Skank Wrote: easy way is to use tags for ex"kids"
tag the movies for your children
then make a playlist with tag kids only
then make a shortcut in main menu
done

Creating a Tag slist seems to be easy. New Tag, name e.g. "Kids", the comes a List with alle available movies. Tag them, ready, But how can I add a new movie to the tag list . I don't find a way to select the list again. Fom time to time my kids get a new movie which I want to add to the Tag List "Kids". Best way would be that movies i a special folder could be tagged automatically ...

BR Juro
I personaly find it easier to use the folder method rather than the tagging. I just drag the film into the right folder and it's done. However, if you want to tag them then follow the advice on the wiki page.

(2013-03-28, 10:46)Samu-rai Wrote: I personaly find it easier to use the folder method rather than the tagging. I just drag the film into the right folder and it's done. However, if you want to tag them then follow the advice on the wiki page.

Hi,

thanks for you answer. In the wik i find the answer, but thats my problem I don't see add movies etc in the context menu in aeon mq4?

BR
Juro

Reason why I want to use tags. I would like to use the movie submenus, wich I have to configure via Smartplalists, Tags Favourites or whatever, Unfortunately there is no standard menu for unwatched available which I can assign to a Fav assigning this later to a custom sub menu.

I store my adult movies in two foldesr, one on the server one on my main htpc. Using a smart playlist I need a rule ...show" movies in folder A" and movie in folder B" and not tagged with Kids and "unwatched". Unfortunately playlist rules only based on usage of all or min one rule. Rrule1 or rule2 and rule3 is not possible to configure
I'll have a look on my system when I'm at home. An option or the time being would be to switch back to Confluence, add the movies to the tags, and then switch back to MQ4.

Great thread! I've been struggling with how to best separate my kids' content from mine and my wife's content (right down to realizing that naming our stuff "adult videos" wasn't going to work Big Grin!).

Anyway, my struggle came about because I have multiple hard drives with the same folder structure on each. As we all know you can combine multiple paths into one source. So I was just looking for a way to create an activity on my Harmony remote for "Kids DVDs" and one for just "DVDs" so that the wife and/or kids could simply hit one button and then be presented with the list of their stuff to watch. I had successfully done this in the past with my original xbmc setup on the Xbox but couldn't replicate it on this version (Windows 7 setup). For some reason the Keyboard.xml file refuses to recognize a source name. It was forcing me to use a path name which wouldn't work because I need to combine multiple paths in order to get all the media in one list. I'm sure it was just a syntax issue but I tried everything under the sun to no avail. And then I read something about smart playlists and I basically did what you mention here except I went about the user-end piece a little differently. I set up my smart playlists just like you did but then I assigned a special mapping in my keyboard.xml file so that a single button press on the remote will take the user directly to the desired list of media.

But then I realized there are actually some crossover type movies that I wanted in both my Kids movies and our movies (like Toy Story, Shrek, etc). This is where Tags can be used in combination with smart playlists to awesome affect! I created a "Family" tag and then simply selected all the movies I wanted in both my Kids and my movies and then added that criteria to the smartplaylist. Boom! Works like a charm. Now movies with the "Family" tag show up I'm both playlists which sure beats wasting hard drive space by having duplicate copies in multiple locations!

Hope this helps.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 3