• 3(current)
(How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4
Good post. Thanks for the info turnerm. Much appreciated!
My fanart.tv & themoviedb.org accounts.

(2013-04-09, 09:49)Samu-rai Wrote: Good post. Thanks for the info turnerm. Much appreciated!

No problem! You should consider pulling together a "How To" thread for the Tips and Tricks section. I think this concept is useful for lots of other customizations as well so I'm sure manyn people will find it useful.
That's a good idea. It's definitely something I'll speak to Marcos about; maybe not for MQ4, but definitely when MQ5 is released.

This could be a handy user guide to follow!

Moving from Windows MCE and My Movies.dk where they have proper parental controls that can be set against the Movie and TV Show parantal ratings, to XBMC where parental controls just don't exist.

I currently just split the Movie and TV show content on the WHS file server. So I have a "Movies" folder and a "Kids Movies" folder and a "TV" folder and a "Kids TV" folder etc.

But this is not ideal as I would like my eldest daughter to have access to PG level stuff, but not my youngest daughter who is only 5, so do I start moving that content from my folders in to theirs.

Content currently in the kids folders on the server is Disney and animated, cartoons stuff, but no PG level movies, they are all in my main "Movies" folder rather than in the "Kids Movies" folder etc.

I did look at setting up different profiles in XBMC but quickly decided that was not the way I wanted to proceed.

Thanks
XBMC does allow you to lock sources when you have the mater lock activated, although I haven't really played around with this feature much, so I’m not sure of the support for this in MQ4.

On my sons computer I have his main movies folder set up as a smart playlist, but rather than using it as a set path I have set it so that it only shows movies that contain the rating 'PG'.

This allows movies that are PG-13 as well, but maybe you could manipulate it to your needs? Another option could be to tag all of your daughters movies (one for older, one for younger) and then use these to set up smart playlists?

Hi

I think it is worth me looking in to these smart playlists in more detail I have not used them yet or read about them previously.

I am using the master lock however and I locked down all the sources that point to my movies, this means the kids just see what is in their sources, Issue I had with MQ4 there does not appear to be a way to unlock all sources in one go, seems you have to unlock them one by one, You can do this in the default XBMC skin.

The other issue if I unlock sources and then forget to lock them again before I put the HTPC to sleep, when it resumes they are still all unlocked, ideally I would want it to automatically re-lock the sources upon suspend.

Thanks
everything worked for me untill i got to Step 4...

i press down 2 times, select Customizations, but after that i press up, but the Vplaylists wont show up, am i missing something?
(2013-04-15, 18:47)Nymeia Wrote: everything worked for me untill i got to Step 4...

i press down 2 times, select Customizations, but after that i press up, but the Vplaylists wont show up, am i missing something?

Make sure you are not on an 'Empty' spot, and right above the main menu bar 4 options will appear. One of these (the second one along I think) will be 'VPLAYLIST+'.
That's the one you want.

this is the screen i get after after selecting "Customizations" .... i dont have any options above the Movies section, or any other.....
Hmm... What MQ4 version are you running? Is it the skinners cut?

yeah its the Aeon MQ4 Skinner's cut....
any way to reload the skin?
That's where the problem is then. The skinners cut doesn't have the 'customization' functionality.

You'll need to install the full version.

sigh, ok, im a noob Smile

changed it to the normal one and it works Tongue

thanks for the amazing guide
No worries, we all have to start somewhere Smile

Glad you got it working.

Hi, I am having issue with using Favourites on Main Menu.

If I press "S" and access "Favourites" List and click on a Favourite, it works fine as it should be.

But once I click on a Custom Menu set to the same Favourite, it doesnt show all the info and fanart as it should be.

It displays bare directory lists without any poster, fanart, scapped info etc, like "File" option.

I've set some menus with Vplaylists and they works fine.

Has anyone had similar problem? Any known solution to this?

or, Is there anyway I can use more than 10 Vplaylist on Customized Menu?

Please enlighten me. Thank you
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 3