Should I get an enclosure or a rack mount?
Hi. I'm fairly new to this so I apologize if I seem like a rookie. I just wanted to get some advice on enclosures and rack mounts.

I am re-wiring an old house for phone, ethernet, and cable TV. The enclosures that I have seen at places like Lowes' and Home Depot seem ok for non-commercial use, but I am not sure how well they would be for dissipating heat from things like a switch, router, modem, etc. And on the other hand, rack mounts seem like they have enough space so that heat isn't really an issue. The problem wih rack mounts that I have seen are that they are all too commercial and really too big for my little old home use.

So for a small home re-wiring job of phone, ethernet, and cable... Would it be better to use an enclosure or a rack mount?
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

General home wiring questions or does XBMC somehow fit into this installation?
(2013-01-06, 09:01)artrafael Wrote: Welcome to the XBMC forums.

General home wiring questions or does XBMC somehow fit into this installation?

Seems like a related question to me, even if XBMC is not directly related.

Anyway, I've been contemplating the same.

I'm leaning towards making my own rack mount system that will hold my server, along with my "node zero" network devices, Modem, router and switch, etc.

My only concern is cooling. In any other cooling system that I deal with, there needs to be a forced path for the air to flow over the device or through the heat exchanger, and it seems counter intuitive to leave components open, with no defined path for the air to flow. It seems however that computers don't seem to have an issue with this, at least not in the short term, and haven't found any reported data on long term use of open (skeleton, or test stands).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I get an enclosure or a rack mount?0