Solved XBMC v12 cannot see files with non english characters
I already have the nfo and thumbs added to my library using media companion so this is not a scraping issue. Also if I navigate the folder structure the file just doesn't show up in v12. The same files thumbs and nfo scan just fine into v11 library.

2 examples I have run into.

Top Chef - S10E08 - Jalapeño Business.mp4
The Simpsons - S12E09 - HOMЯ.avi

the ñ and the Я are causing v12 to ignore the files completely.

As I said, both of these are in my v11 Library just fine, but v12 cannot even display them in the file system. I did a full debug log and scan and it doesn't even recognize that the files exists, not even an error in the log file, so they are being filtered out before they can be checked for existence.

** Update
This was on the Raspberry Pi version 12, Windows version 11, I did a test with Windows v12r3 and very similar issue except the file does show up when browsing the file system but still will not scan into the library, or show up on the library view.

** Solved
Was NFS UTF-8 issue not XMBC issue.
I have no problem with Korean Hangul syllables and Hanji or Japanese Katakana (English Win 7 / English XBMC). With Confluence default font the files are there but you can't see the non-latin chars. Switching to "arial-based" and then I see them. Frodo RC3. The only time I've had problems was on Eden, and that was when my nfo file was encoded UTF-16 which was ignored. Nfo has to be UTF-8. But regardless the files were available in file view.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Usually the problem is caused by a specific filesystem (e.g. nfs) not providing UTF8 file paths.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-01-08, 00:35)jmarshall Wrote: Usually the problem is caused by a specific filesystem (e.g. nfs) not providing UTF8 file paths.

And that is exactly what it was. Changed the NFS to serve UTF-8 and everything is copacetic. Thank you so much for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC v12 cannot see files with non english characters0