newbie questions
I've been using XBMC on a PC, so I'm familiar with it. But I now also have the raspbmc and have some questions.

Using raspbmc v12 RC2 installed on a SanDisk Ultra Class 10, 16GB, 30mb/sec SD Card. Movies are stored on a Fantom 1TB external USB drive, with no desire to store any movies on the sd card.

1) Speed is good and I can play 6GB movies without issue. However, playing a 11.5GB mkv causes a split second pause every minute or two.

a) Would upgrading to a 45mb/sec or 95mb/sec card make any difference playing the larger files?

b) Does the size of the card have any bearing on speed? Are there benefits to larger cards and if so what are they?

c) What about an Extreme vs Ultra card?

2) How do I download and add other skins such as Quartz, Metropolis, Slik, etc?
Recommended Skins

HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
Ok, I figured out the video pausing was because I had DTS enabled, but the TV I was connected to didn't support it.

I'd like to re-word question #2. I know how to download and install the skins, but how do I get them onto the SD card using Windows and where do I put them on it? I'm not familiar with Linux.

I haven't been able to find answers for items 1a, 1b and 1c. I've found 2 links on SD Cards RPi SD Cards and what-sd-card-works-for-you but neither discusses these questions.
Question 1:
The best thing you can do is to install XBMC onto a USB-stick, then Raspbmc will only boot from the SD card.
This way it doesn´t matter if you use a slow SD-card and it can (most times will) speed up your Pi significally.

I suggest a USB3-stick, this way the speed will max (if fast enough) on the Pi´s USB2-slot.

Question 2:
Read and learn about SSH and SFTP.
Go over to Raspbmc;s forum if you have more questions, if you search their forums you will find pretty much any answers you need.
http://forum.stmlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6
(2013-01-09, 23:44)miappa Wrote: Question 1:
The best thing you can do is to install XBMC onto a USB-stick, then Raspbmc will only boot from the SD card.
This way it doesn´t matter if you use a slow SD-card and it can (most times will) speed up your Pi significally.

I suggest a USB3-stick, this way the speed will max (if fast enough) on the Pi´s USB2-slot.

Question 2:
Read and learn about SSH and SFTP.
Go over to Raspbmc;s forum if you have more questions, if you search their forums you will find pretty much any answers you need.
http://forum.stmlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6

Thank you for the reply and details.

Regarding Q1 how do I separate the raspbmc install across USB and SD card?
Please se the important note below the info before you do this!

Easy peasy;
If you use the windows installer you can actually choose if you want to do this.
You should get the question if you when you install on Linux or OSX as well, but I have noticed that the install script may not always do this.

Anyhow, it is still very easy to fix. When you have prepared your SD card, put an empty file called usb.txt (or just usb without extension) on the boot partition.
Now the installer will install XBMC on the first USB it detects.

*** NB! It will wipe the USB you have attached! So use an already empty USB-stick!
(2013-01-10, 09:03)miappa Wrote: Please se the important note below the info before you do this!

Easy peasy;
If you use the windows installer you can actually choose if you want to do this.
You should get the question if you when you install on Linux or OSX as well, but I have noticed that the install script may not always do this.

Anyhow, it is still very easy to fix. When you have prepared your SD card, put an empty file called usb.txt (or just usb without extension) on the boot partition.
Now the installer will install XBMC on the first USB it detects.

*** NB! It will wipe the USB you have attached! So use an already empty USB-stick!

Thank you!
Remember though do not have your external HD connected as the installer might choose this drive and wipe it!
Also, installing on USB allows you to overclock your Pi with less risk of SD corruption.
Ok, did as you suggested by putting xbmc on usb stick. Tried to look at contents of stick in win 7 but it can't read the stick. Accessed raspbmc via Filezilla and everything looks as if it's on one drive. How do I know if the OS is on the Sd card and xbmc is actually on the usb stick?
Incredibly quick and dirty answer: once it's booted from the SD card (ie. once the the initial splurge of text based diagnostics has finished), you should be able to unplug the card!
When you SSH or SFTP in on the device it will look as everything is on one drive.
This is linux, it has a mount point for the "external" device..

Anyway, if you try to start from the SD without the USB, you will only get the R logo (small one up to the left).
Nothing else will happen.

But if you boot with the USB inserted, it will boot and start XBMC.

Edit: I suggest you install drivers to be able to mount and view ext2/3/4 file systems. It will make everything easier.
(2013-01-11, 23:44)miappa Wrote: When you SSH or SFTP in on the device it will look as everything is on one drive.
This is linux, it has a mount point for the "external" device..

Anyway, if you try to start from the SD without the USB, you will only get the R logo (small one up to the left).
Nothing else will happen.

But if you boot with the USB inserted, it will boot and start XBMC.

Edit: I suggest you install drivers to be able to mount and view ext2/3/4 file systems. It will make everything easier.

Would you please point me in direction for drivers "to mount and view ext2/3/4 file systems"?
I am not on Windows myself and its been a while, even though I have both Linux and Win on my MacBook.
However this might be something: http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Otherwise, google should show the way.
(2013-01-13, 10:43)miappa Wrote: I am not on Windows myself and its been a while, even though I have both Linux and Win on my MacBook.
However this might be something: http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Otherwise, google should show the way.

Thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
newbie questions0