Req HDhomerun PVR Plugin
I've done some searching on this topic but haven't seen exactly what I'm interested in...

Given the new firmware for HDhomerun Primes that will enable the devices to stream TV through the DLNA protocol seen as a demo here:
You Tube Video

Would it be possible to create a PVR plugin that can handle the DLNA streams, communicate with schedules direct for EPG data, and schedule recordings without going through a backend? It seems like this would be much easier to setup, provide faster channel changing, and be a more stable solution for Live TV/PVR functionality.

Any thoughts from the community?

+1 interested in this
Is there a reason you don't want to use mythtv? I only ask because channel changes are down to about 4 seconds these days, it is rock solid, and it isn't nearly as bad to setup as some people make it out to be.
Probably the process of getting everything working
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2013-01-09, 22:03)LSU Jonno Wrote: Would it be possible to create a PVR plugin that can handle the DLNA streams, communicate with schedules direct for EPG data, and schedule recordings without going through a backend?

You just described a PVR backend Big Grin I don't believe the XBMC devels have any interest in writing a PVR backend to handle recordings and such. You can already stream directly from the HDhomerun to XBMC without a backend, have been able to for years. If you want recording or time shifting you need a component to handle that which is what a PVR backend does.
(2013-01-11, 20:21)jskube Wrote: Is there a reason you don't want to use mythtv? I only ask because channel changes are down to about 4 seconds these days, it is rock solid, and it isn't nearly as bad to setup as some people make it out to be.

I've tried NPVR + XBMC RC1 & RC2 and also MythTV + XBMC RC3. I've gotten both to work, with live TV, changing channels, and I've gotten time shift to work with MythTV. I guess the best way to describe those combinations are "finicky". I still get random lockups and crashes. Channel changing I'd say is between 4-8 seconds depending on how I'm changing the channel. (from EPG timeline, or other EPG views or pressing channel up or down on the remote.)

This isn't meant to be a complaint thread so I'll stop here...it won't pass the WAF in my home.

I was just wondering if the fact that HDhomerun can now communicate with XBMC via DLNA if that would make it easier to write a plugging that could basically serve as a backend instead of having a pluggin that communicates with an actual backend. Seems like KISS applies here. I understand that HDHR is a small % of the total live TV user base...just thought I'd throw it out there.
You still need a backend process to download guide data and store channel lineup/recordings/etc. Then on top of that you would need the XBMC plugin to connect to that process. Sure, you could combine them but in essence it's still doing the same thing - basically what MythTV is already doing. So, there is not a whole lot of motivation to reinvent the wheel for a specific situation. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the HDHomeRun get some love. I think the biggest hurdle right now is that both the DLNA support in HDHomeRun and the PVR support in XBMC are not officially released.

I'm currently using MythTV and haven't really had many problems. I only really change channels by going to the guide and I don't really ever seen channels taking more than a few seconds to load. It doesn't really seem any different than a cable box, really. Only issues I have are a lack of "previous channel" button and it occasionally stutters at the end of a program as it is starting a new recording. I'm assuming that is because I'm using pretty crappy hardware (atom/laptop hdd) for the MythTV box, though.
Hdhr will work with tvheadend so problem solved.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Is there a walk through on how to get tvheadend to work with the hdhomerun prime?
I've never been successful in getting it to find any channels
(2013-01-16, 00:10)nickr Wrote: Hdhr will work with tvheadend so problem solved.

The prime does not always work with it.

(2013-01-30, 15:57)macrho Wrote: Is there a walk through on how to get tvheadend to work with the hdhomerun prime?
I've never been successful in getting it to find any channels

See this thread - https://www.lonelycoder.com/redmine/boar...opics/6064

There is an issue with how some cable services send the channel id I believe. I won't pretend to know what exactly needs to be done but it sounds like certain cable providers will work and others do not. I was able to get it working with mine but I had to manually add each channel and I was never able to get the guide working with it correctly. That is why I gave up and went with MythTV. I was able to set it up in less than 30 min and it has been working great with the XBMC pvr add-on.
For what it's worth I like this idea. When I use a backend (I've tried TVHeadend, MythTV, and NextPVR) my image gets choppy and buffers and stutters. It's impossible to watch. As soon as I used the beta firmware on the HDHR for the DLNA, it plays amazingly. The only thing that stinks is not having an EPG. I don't even want recording. Just an EPG so I (gf really) knows whats on. I dont care about time shifting or recording on the XBMC frontends. Just want an EPG...
I too would love it if hdhr would work with XBMC, if even just for the live tv and EPG. I've spent hours and hours trying to get hdhr working with mythtv and npvr. They just aren't reliable, and have way to many bug, crashes, etc.
(2013-03-26, 00:44)whiteyw80 Wrote: I too would love it if hdhr would work with XBMC, if even just for the live tv and EPG. I've spent hours and hours trying to get hdhr working with mythtv and npvr. They just aren't reliable, and have way to many bug, crashes, etc.

Check out the TV Guide plugin, works great for live TV with epg for the hdhomerun
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2013-03-26, 01:03)Dilligaf Wrote:
(2013-03-26, 00:44)whiteyw80 Wrote: I too would love it if hdhr would work with XBMC, if even just for the live tv and EPG. I've spent hours and hours trying to get hdhr working with mythtv and npvr. They just aren't reliable, and have way to many bug, crashes, etc.

Check out the TV Guide plugin, works great for live TV with epg for the hdhomerun

Using strm files...
The HDHomerun setup program in Windows will generate stream files for all your channels in a directory in your user directory if you select xbmc as the primary app, add this directory to xbmc as a source then get an xml tv file with mc2xml or whatever, load the file into the TV Guide add on and link the streams to the channels. You now have live tv with a guide
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDhomerun PVR Plugin0