Looking for help on home network
Ok, I am brand new to xbmc and absolutely love it. I no longer get cable in the house and am looking for a way to hook up a server to every tv and allow them all to not only watch their own show but also pause and play in the next room. What would I need to do this? Would it require me to have a different device for every tv or is there a way for me to just use the server and connect it to all the tvs? Thinking about it makes me realize that each tv would need different settings, audio and video, so I would most likely have to have xbmc on a device for each tv. Lol I am not the most experienced person but any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

If you want each TV in the house to independently play media from your server using XBMC, then each TV will need its own system hooked up to it and running its own copy of XBMC. A system can be a PC, ATV1/2, Raspberry Pi, or a supported iOS or Android device.
Thats what I thought. Now is there anyway to have all the different xbmc but at the same time allow them to share data to continue a video from the living room to my bedroom?

Or is there a way for me to have the one server with multiple drives send the info to each room?

Ive never done networking so sorry about whats most likely idiotic questions to most of you lol
(2013-01-11, 01:52)eecer Wrote: Now is there anyway to have all the different xbmc but at the same time allow them to share data to continue a video from the living room to my bedroom?
You can use MySQL to synch your libraries so that you can stop watching a given video in one room and resume watching it in another room. This is described here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries
Keep in mind this is an advanced topic and probably not a good idea to try to tackle this as your first foray into XBMC, home networking, file sharing, database, etc.
Quote:Or is there a way for me to have the one server with multiple drives send the info to each room?
Not exactly sure what you're talking about here. The concept of a file server is that client systems on the network all can have access to this centrally stored data (rather each system having to store their own files locally and perhaps redundantly). Users on each of your XBMC systems can select and play whichever media file they wish from the file server.
Quote:Ive never done networking so sorry about whats most likely idiotic questions to most of you lol
It's not just knowing networking, it's also about File_sharing (wiki) (<- Click this). Get one XBMC system setup along with your file server and home network. Once you have your one XBMC system accessing media content from your server, then add other XBMC systems and set them up to also access files from your server. Once all this is running smoothly, then look into library syncing.

From a network perspective I'd suggest using wired vs wireless connections where ever possible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for help on home network0