My first mini-ITX unRAID server build - advice needed!
Great, thanks all, very helpful! Will probably make the jump come pay day at the end of the month. Will report back with my progress!

In the meantime, I have to fix a sodding OCZ SSD drive now. Grr...
CPU: AMD Llano A6-3500 2.40GHz APU - MoBo: Gigabyte A75N-USB3 AMD A75 - RAM: Corsair Value 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz - Storage: 128GB SSD, 500GB HD - Case: Streacom FC7 Silver - ODD: Sony AD-7640S Slot Load DVD+RW Drive
Good luck! Get a PSU that is single rail... make sure it fits...
Dougie recommended this one to e:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/300w-be-q...plus-green

Looks like it's dual-rail though - will that not be ok?
CPU: AMD Llano A6-3500 2.40GHz APU - MoBo: Gigabyte A75N-USB3 AMD A75 - RAM: Corsair Value 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz - Storage: 128GB SSD, 500GB HD - Case: Streacom FC7 Silver - ODD: Sony AD-7640S Slot Load DVD+RW Drive
No... they say to stick to single rail....

This Silverstone ST45SF is single.... its SFX....

I don't really know how good it is.... and it seems it comes with the bracket.... Smile

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=253

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817256063

Seems it will be just fine....
Looks good but isn't 450W a bit much for my needs?
PS - It seems I've just ordered everything but the PSU even though it's not payday yet... oops
He he.... the bug got you..... 450W should be fine.... it's not like it's using 450W all the time...
You can wait to buy it... see what other people say...

Get a killa watt meter and let us know you power usage.... or do you have one?

Also it's great to have a little extra power in case down the road you wan't to upgrade bigger.... it does not hurt.

(2013-01-12, 19:39)bluesky2006 Wrote: Looks good but isn't 450W a bit much for my needs?
Yes, 450w is way overkill. If you went with the 430w corsair PSU I'd estimate that your total system power draw at idle is going to be somewhere around 30 watts (assuming you have just one drive). During boot it may go as high as 50 watts. Sure you'll have plenty of capacity for future expansion but your PSU is only going to be maybe 60% efficient (and likely lower) at that load. The thing to keep in mind about 80 PLUS certification is that it means that the PSU must be at least 80% efficient at 20, 50, and 100% load. With your proposed system you are going to be running at less than 10% load and for most PSUs as the load drops below 20% the efficiency drops off quickly. Even a 300 watt PSU is going to be overkill for your needs. IMO you really only have two choices here:

1) Live with the inefficiency of a larger PSU but be guaranteed to have all the capacity you'd ever need. This option is also cheaper to purchase but since you're going to run 24x7 the extra power use over time would eat into those savings. Not sure how much power costs in your parts so you'll have to factor that in.

OR

2) Go with a picoPSU or equivalent and you'll get the benefit of much better efficiency but you run the risk of outgrowing your available capacity as you approach 6 drives. If we use Dougie's system as an example he's got 5 green drives and his max power draw is 100w so I'm pretty sure the picoPSU would work. The one downside is that you're going to have to get a few extra of molex to sata adapters to power 6 HDDs. It's also worth mentioning that the picoPSU would be 100% silent.

(2013-01-12, 20:43)Beer40oz Wrote: Get a killa watt meter and let us know you power usage....

+1 (although I'm a bit skeptical of people who are on the moon)

HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
BTW! wsume99 knows his unRAID stuff.... he helped me out a lot.....

I like choice #1 Smile
FWIW I have a 650w PSU in my three drive unraid server that I run 24x7 and it idles at around 40w. I could probably cut my idle power use by 10-12 watts if bought a picoPSU (~$70) but because my electric is ~$.08/kwh this would only save me $8-$10 per year. That's a 7 year payback.

As I said before you really only have 2 options. Most people go with #1. Option 2 is only possible when you are taking about building a mini-ITX server.

I wish that somebody would make a single rail 80PLUS gold 200w PSU for $45-50. I'd buy one.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Hmm, yes the world of PSU efficiency is only slowly becoming clearer to me! What I basically understand is that the closer the PSU is to the maximum power requirements of your kit, the better (right?).

I have a PicoPSU in my HTPC and it is indeed a nifty piece of kit - however, they're a bit pricier and I was hoping not to have to spend so much on the PSU part of the build. Also as you say, if I do expand my drives further down the line I will outgrow it, at which point I will feel like it's wasted. However, after a bit of Googling it seems to be nigh on impossible to find a single-rail PSU for anything under 400W, let alone anything in an SFX or smaller form factor. Which sucks.

I'm veering towards getting the PicoPSU, simply because I probably won't need to replace it for a while at the rate I currently accumulate data, and if this thing is going to be on all the time I'd like it not to sap too much power.

However, if one day I forget all this, plug in a new hard drive to expand my server and it's too much for the PSU, will some disaster occur or will it just not power on?
(2013-01-12, 21:24)wsume99 Wrote: I wish that somebody would make a single rail 80PLUS gold 200w PSU for $45-50. I'd buy one.

+1 for this! Was trying to Google such a thing just moments ago with no luck. Surely with all the new mini-mobos coming out and smaller, cheaper computers, this must be more in demand??
(2013-01-12, 21:24)wsume99 Wrote: FWIW I have a 650w PSU in my three drive unraid server that I run 24x7 and it idles at around 40w. I could probably cut my idle power use by 10-12 watts if bought a picoPSU (~$70) but because my electric is ~$.08/kwh this would only save me $8-$10 per year. That's a 7 year payback.

As I said before you really only have 2 options. Most people go with #1. Option 2 is only possible when you are taking about building a mini-ITX server.

I wish that somebody would make a single rail 80PLUS gold 200w PSU for $45-50. I'd buy one.

I have a 520W Antec Neo Eco with only 5 drives on it... It seems that I am going to be re-doing my server and I have a 400W Antec Neo Eco laying around so I will change it.

One more burger a year for me.... Tongue
(2013-01-12, 21:26)bluesky2006 Wrote: Hmm, yes the world of PSU efficiency is only slowly becoming clearer to me! What I basically understand is that the closer the PSU is to the maximum power requirements of your kit, the better (right?).
I believe the sweet spot for maximum efficiency is typically at 50% load. Ideally you'd consider how much the PC will draw typically (which in your case is probably idle power) and get a PSU where 50% load is as close to that value as possible. The other key consideration is that the PSU needs to have enough capacity to handle your PCs max load as well.

I don't think you need to be overly concerned about getting a single rail PSU. The concern over multiple rails is that you don't know how the OEM split up the connectors between the rails. Your case can only hold 6 HDDs so in that case the worst case scenario would be that the 24pin MB connector, all 4-pin molex connectors, and all sata connectors draw from the same rail. I was looking at this 300w Seasonic PSU which has two 12v rails each with a maximum capacity of 17A. Rule of thumb for green drives is to assume 1A max current. So if all the HDDs were on one rail you'd still have 11A left for your MB and CPU. I don't think you need to worry about getting a single rail PSU. If you were building a server to hold more than 6 HDDs or using a more substantial CPU then you might need to go single rail.

(2013-01-12, 21:26)bluesky2006 Wrote: I'm veering towards getting the PicoPSU, simply because I probably won't need to replace it for a while at the rate I currently accumulate data, and if this thing is going to be on all the time I'd like it not to sap too much power.
However, if one day I forget all this, plug in a new hard drive to expand my server and it's too much for the PSU, will some disaster occur or will it just not power on?
Most likely your PSU would overload and just shut down. Of course the worst case scenario would be that it bursts into flames an burns down the whole house. Shocked

(2013-01-12, 21:26)bluesky2006 Wrote:
(2013-01-12, 21:24)wsume99 Wrote: I wish that somebody would make a single rail 80PLUS gold 200w PSU for $45-50. I'd buy one.

+1 for this! Was trying to Google such a thing just moments ago with no luck. Surely with all the new mini-mobos coming out and smaller, cheaper computers, this must be more in demand??
PC power requirements seem to be heading lower so I'm hoping somebody fills this gap. There's a virtual ghost town between 150 and 300 watts. I'm always confused when OEMs release 1200w 80PLUS Gold PSUs. Seems like a huge waste to me.

(2013-01-12, 22:06)wsume99 Wrote: I don't think you need to be overly concerned about getting a single rail PSU.

+1. We're talking a C60M1-I few hard drives here so amperage on any given rail is going to be very low.

(2013-01-12, 22:06)wsume99 Wrote: Most likely your PSU would overload and just shut down. Of course the worst case scenario would be that it bursts into flames an burns down the whole house. Shocked

picoPSUs have protection and will shutdown. There are some YouTube videos of PSUs catching on fire which is more what happens when you use a cheap PSU. Smile

The lack of decent ATX power supplies and the desire to use a picoPSU in a full size case is why I invented these: http://www.ecosmartpc.com/accessories.html. It all start with wanting to put a picoPSU in a Lian-Li PC-Q07.

(2013-01-12, 22:34)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2013-01-12, 22:06)wsume99 Wrote: I don't think you need to be overly concerned about getting a single rail PSU.

+1. We're talking a C60M1-I few hard drives here so amperage on any given rail is going to be very low.

Argh really unsure what to do! The unRAID wiki/forum makes quite a large song and dance about PSUs being single rail, and while you could be right with the dual-rails being fine, if the result is a possible loss of data somewhere down the line I feel like I should stay single-rail. Then at least if something cocks up i'll know it's not likely the PSUs fault.

So another disaster scenario - what's the worst that can happen if the HDDs are on a dual or multi rail (assuming for the sake of argument that I have about 8 or so drives that use more than one rail)?
For the Be Quiet! 300W SFX, there are two rails 12V(A) 14A and 12V(B) 16A. One of these rails probably goes to the CPU and the other for the rest. Suppose it's the 14A rail. That means it has 168W available for just the peripherals which in your case is 5 HDDs plus maybe and SSD (your motherboard has 6 SATA ports). Total system usage on startup of my server similarly equipped is about 90W and it settles down to 40-50W. You can fit 7 drives in that case so you'd need to add a SATA card and then that's just two more drives.

I can't see in this scenario how single or dual rail makes any difference. For a high-powered server, sure. If you bought a picoPSU it would not even have the available wattage of one rail of the 300W power supply. If you were saying you have a tower case with 10-12 drives, then sure, an Antec NEO ECO 400W would be great.

My server has never died, burned to the ground, or otherwise Smile. It's been running great for over a year. I' even ran it off a picoPSU 120-WI-25 for a little while and a 250W no-name PSU I pulled from a Apex MI-008. No problems with any of them though the picoPSU made me a little nervous because it does not have a lot in the 12V department.

IMHO, this is over-engineering/over-thinking/analysis paralysis.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first mini-ITX unRAID server build - advice needed!0