[XBMCBUNTU] Guide Getting CrystalHD working in xbmcbuntu Frodo RC3
Install xbmcbuntu
ssh in

Run the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install crystalhd-dkms gstreamer0.10-crystalhd firmware-crystalhd libcrystalhd-dev libcrystalhd3

Setting up crystalhd-dkms will fail giving you this error:

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel:

It is due to a current bug in ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1016976

To fix:

sudo nano /usr/src/crystalhd-0.0~git20110715.fdd2f19/driver/linux/crystalhd_misc.h

Go down to line 38, it should say:

#include <asm/system.h>

Comment it out by adding // to the front of the line so it says:

// #include <asm/system.h>

Hit control-x, then yes to save.

type: sudo nano /usr/src/crystalhd-0.0~git20110715.fdd2f19/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.h

Then go down 48 lines to:

#include <asm/system.h>

Do the same, adding two / like so:

// #include <asm/system.h>

Control-X, then Yes to save.

Then run:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure crystalhd-dkms

It will reconfigure crystalhd-dkms and build the kernel module. It will look a lot better.

Once it's done, reboot and you should now have the CrystalHD option in XBMC.
Nice, thanks for the how-to!
Just verified that this works in the Frodo full release.
Thank you thank you thank you. This was the final step in getting my setup up and running, mythbuntu backend with xbmc on top all on a itx system with a mobile processor and a Crystal HD card. I really can't thank you enough, I was pulling me hair out trying to get this up and running.

In case it's useful to anyone else, I'm running mythbuntu 12.0.4.2 w/xbmc frodo and can confirm this works.
Hi Guys, does this still work on crystalbuntu 2.0? I have been trying to get drivers installed on my ATV 1 with the broadcom 15 card but still cant pull it off. I have reinstalled multiple times. First I get rcpbind- rpcbind terminating on signal restart with rpcbind w. I gathered from the forum that its an incomplete install, still havent figured a way around that. When I finally reboot and follow your thread, I get stuck on GNU Nano ?ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Crystalbuntu 2.0 should already have the drivers installed. What is it that you are trying to do?
Im not convienced the crystal hd card is put to use as expected. Ive been struggling to stream 720 to 1080p content online or from external drive. There is video and audio mismatch at times with audio starting before the video. xbmc has the crystal hd card accelaration enabled. I read from the posts that both openelec and crystalbuntu 2.0 update to latest drivers. The perfomance im getting from after installing the card is by far below my expectations. Im sure there is something im not doing right coz there is some good feedback out there.

I have now installed openelec again because of reboot issues with crystalbuntu.
Sounds like a dud card. I've gotten one of those once. Seems to happen a lot more with the bulk sellers from China.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=106002

Please have a look at my logs maybe you could find something there. This is one booting from usb with internal hdd disconnected.

The one below is booting from internal hdd. Both are playing the same online movie but strangely enough the usb install performs better.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=106036

Thanks
Sorry, I don't really know enough to say how to troubleshoot a bad card. All I know is that some cards will work enough for XBMC to see them and think they are there, but won't actually decode anything correctly.

The Crystalbuntu site ( http://crystalbuntu.com ) has user forums where it has been discussed, and I believe there is a way to check this via the command line. I think OpenELEC might also have a way to check, so maybe look at their user forums under the ATV1 section.
play a _local_ 1080p h264 movie and see if it works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCBUNTU] Guide Getting CrystalHD working in xbmcbuntu Frodo RC31