XBMC on USB
I read several times to install on USB. I would like to try that, but I don't know how to do that.
I looked in the forum, but couldn't find an answer.

So is there a how to for installing on USB? thx.
On what distro?
See here for how to install raspbmc to USB. You'll still need a sd card to boot though.

Not sure about the other distro's though, but would be very interested in a openelec step by step guide if one should exist.
Thx so far.

At the moment I use OpenElec, but it doesn't matter. I want to try all 3 tastes.
I want do to some more things, so I prefer RaspBMC then I guess.
(2013-01-11, 14:05)PJ_Hooker Wrote: See here for how to install raspbmc to USB. You'll still need a sd card to boot though.

Not sure about the other distro's though, but would be very interested in a openelec step by step guide if one should exist.

Usb the link is to the download site of Raspbmc....Am I overlooking the how to there?

Edit, I read this:
If you wish to install Raspbmc to a USB drive, create a file on the fat partition called ‘usb‘

So, just a file "usb" place it on the SD Card and install raspbmc with a usb stick connected to the pi?
Using windows to install it...

Quote:Edit, I read this:
If you wish to install Raspbmc to a USB drive, create a file on the fat partition called ‘usb‘

So, just a file "usb" place it on the SD Card and install raspbmc with a usb stick connected to the pi?
Using windows to install it...

No, this threw me a little to.

Don't worry about creating a usb folder the installer does it for you

Launch the windows installer, tick your sd card from the list, then tick install to usb. Then install.

Plug both into the pi and power up - thats it.

Ahhh that sounds easy. Will try that this evening. Thx
Actually, to be certain that Raspbmc will install to USB check the boot partition after you run install script.
It should be a file on there called usb, if not put an empty file called usb.txt (or just usb without extension).

This is actually what the win installer does for you, so you can do it manually to.

NB! This will wipe your USB (first that the Pi detects) so see to that you have an empty thumb connected and nothin else connected!
Thx, will let you know if it worked.

And to test if it really runs from USB, try to boot without USB in de pi would be a good test I guess ;-)
True, you will then only see the R logo (the smaller one up to the left), nothing else happens.
Well the second try gave me raspbmc on USB, first time in the end after the reboot I got stuck with a black screen.
Changed the usb slot and installed everything again. It worked, not sure if it even was because of the USB port.

Played some with Rampbmc. Nice, but did really notice that it's amazing faster.

Will play more with it, also use NFS now instead of Samba, that also speeds up the Pi.

Thx again.
i just got this working, but where do i find the advancedsettings.xml file...? how do i ftp into the usb stick??

edit: sorted. was trying port 21 when it should of been 22.
Not sure if ftp is enabled, but ssh is so you can use scp (see winscp if you are doing it from windows.)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you have a linux/*nix based nfs server you can install raspbmc straight to nfs. Just select nfs in the windows installer and set the nfs share path.

For info on how to setup nfs server share options please see this post http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=5496
Misread, commented, noticed the error and deleted post. Smile
(2013-01-13, 01:12)s7mx1 Wrote: If you have a linux/*nix based nfs server you can install raspbmc straight to nfs. Just select nfs in the windows installer and set the nfs share path.

For info on how to setup nfs server share options please see this post http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=5496

Will try that sometime. Not sure if I even want that. But what makes me curious with NFS is this:

What can I do with XBMC on NFS if the Pi is powered off?
Nothing? Or is there a way I could give it a sign to update the video db?

Other thing? Could a XBMC be shared in this way? Say one on the Pi and one one the local Linux server and use the same space on disk?
Maybe stupid questions, but just curious...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on USB1