[Newbie Alert!] First experience with OpenElec on Pi
Hi all!

So this week i got myself a Pi with the intent to run XBMC on my TV in the bedroom. Wifi AP is in the living room. I'm living in an appartment and my two laptop i have in the bedroom also use the same AP without any performance issues.
Installed OpenElec and all is working. Installed the Add-Ons i wanted and found out that the system is really slow accessing external sources like xbmchub.com where i get most of my add-ons from.

So my question is this: Is it the Pi that is slow or is it the Wifi? Browsing the menus is snappy enough. It's the loading of the add-ons and using them that is slow.

The Pi is completely standard, no overclocking that i know of.
I get the power for the Pi from the USB on the TV.
I use one of those very small Wifi USB plugs (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31O3dfinGIL.jpg).
SD card is a 16Gb Class 10 SanDisk.

I am planning to try the Pi in the living room closer to the Wifi or even using a wired connection (not possible in the bedroom) to see if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ton.
I don't have any issue like that with Raspbmc.
I can reach quickly and fluidement to the menus when the RP do not do something else next to (analysis of media library). But even if it makes it, it is just a little less fluid.
Same when i access to my FTP to play video/music in streaming, it's enough quick.

Maybe your dongle use too much electricity so you may buy an usb hub electrical powered
(2013-01-11, 16:34)johnvox Wrote: I don't have any issue like that with Raspbmc.

I'm willing to try raspbmc. I mean, i haven't done anything yet with it, so not much would get lost. Raspbmc has an issue with enabling Wifi, isn't it? I saw some messages about that?
@Toontje

Raspbmc support most popular usb wifi dongles out of box. You can set wifi settings in the windows installer or raspbmc settings add on when its installed.

Ok, i installed RaspBMC but i have the same issues. RaspBMC is A LOT slower in booting than OpenElec, but i don-t really care about that.
Issue is Wifi. I tried two different dongles and i don't seem to get a good signal. Is there something like a Wifi Monitoring Add-On so i can see what coverage i have on the Pi?
Eliminate the wifi at least to test. Run a temporary cable.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Newbie Alert!] First experience with OpenElec on Pi0